Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.42.01 Released  (Read 60355 times)

pognivet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.42.01 Released
« Reply #45 on: December 01, 2015, 04:45:29 pm »

fantastic. i registered on the forums just because of this update. a real bang-up job you did there. the adventure-mode improvements are awesome. good job.

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 01, 2015, 04:52:00 pm »

Is it freezing or bailing out?  I've seen a freeze during civilization placement, but I don't have reproducible parameters for it yet.  Hopefully some make it to the bug tracker so I can sort it out.

Well, it froze in Xubuntu too. It tends to freeze at around PLACING CIVILIZATIONS (7), but I doubt that haves anything to do with it. Playing in a world with default settings fixes it as far as I know.

Same here.  I've used several different parameter sets on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, and it locks up every time on "Placing civilizations..." after placing the first one.  (i.e. if I have civs set to 40, it freezes on 39.  If I have 10, it freezes on 9....)  There's no one parameter set that causes this, it just stops every time I've tried.  Others here and on the df subreddit seem to indicate that the freeze only happens most of the time and if you keep genning worlds, you'll eventually get one that *doesn't* freeze.

edit: Ubuntu 14.04 LTS ... derp
« Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 05:02:31 pm by ledgekindred »
I don't understand, though that is about right with anything DF related.
I just hope he dies the same death that all dwarfs deserve: liver disease.
The legend of Reg: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=65866.0
Atir Stigildegel, Legless Hero of Diamondrelic: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=83136.0

Anonymax

• Bay Watcher
  • Rated "D" For Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 01, 2015, 04:53:14 pm »

Is it freezing or bailing out?  I've seen a freeze during civilization placement, but I don't have reproducible parameters for it yet.  Hopefully some make it to the bug tracker so I can sort it out.
freezing, there are reports of this on reddit too,

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #48 on: December 01, 2015, 04:54:25 pm »

At least it mostly seems to be the same thing.  Now I just need to get it to happen...
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Ragnarock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 01, 2015, 04:54:45 pm »

This release is far beyond my expectations. Insanely great work.
Dabbling Overseer

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 01, 2015, 04:57:19 pm »

Well, I can figure out dwarf fortress but not vi apparently.

My kingdom for a copy of the Dwarf_Fortress executable with line 57-thousand something changed from /data/art/mouse.png to /data/art/mouse.bmp because every editor I try it with either won't open it as the right format (kate) or is harder to figure out than df (vi) or just won't find the string (nano) so I'm stumped.

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 01, 2015, 05:04:27 pm »

Hurray for a new release! I'll wait to play until after the bugfix releases have settled down though.
I AM POINTY DEATH INCARNATE
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 01, 2015, 05:18:04 pm »

I have exams you monster.When I drop put I'm coming to live with you in your sky castle.

lukstra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 01, 2015, 05:30:39 pm »

Really looking forward to experiencing all the new exciting features!

gchristopher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 01, 2015, 05:41:02 pm »

(*) Ability to designate taverns, temples and libraries in the fortress
Wow! No more just one central dining hall! Time to start designing urban hubs!

(*) The fort has visitors, residency petitions and eventual citizenship, including non-dwarves
Wow! I can now simulate the political dysfunction of managing immigrants! (Seriously, why is that so exciting to me?)

(*) Monster slayers can petition your fortress to go down and fight monsters once you discover the underground
Wow! Complex mechanical hero-disposal gates, here we come!

(*) Values can be passed in writing (both modes) and through adventure mode arguments (uses some conversation skills)
Wow! Can I brainwash my dwarves by controlling their reading material? I can definitely TRY! :)

(*) Alcohol causes inebriation, erratic behavior, unconsciousness, death
Muahaha! That's beautiful. Please tell me dwarves get into occasional drinking contests. That's going to be a key criteria for being elevated to nobility.

(*) Fixed some army pathing issues
Woohoo! Insufficient ambushers and invaders was one of two 40.x game-killers. Cautiously optimistic!

The only huge missing 40.X fix is for the one where invaders (primarily undead) can't find their way into the fort because of pathing issues. Reanimating embarks quickly suffer FPS death as undead accumulate, but never path towards or into the fortress to be killed.

I guess I need to go figure out how to help contribute to new memory mappings for therapist and dfhack. Can't wait to try it all!

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 01, 2015, 05:44:28 pm »

Well, I can figure out dwarf fortress but not vi apparently.

My kingdom for a copy of the Dwarf_Fortress executable with line 57-thousand something changed from /data/art/mouse.png to /data/art/mouse.bmp because every editor I try it with either won't open it as the right format (kate) or is harder to figure out than df (vi) or just won't find the string (nano) so I'm stumped.

You're trying to change a string inside of the executable?  I've recently used a hex editor named Bless which works pretty well.  Maybe that would suit your needs?

Assuming that the code that reads the string is able to handle being given a BMP of course.  :)
Through pain, I find wisdom.

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 01, 2015, 05:54:14 pm »

MERRY DORFMAS

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #57 on: December 01, 2015, 05:59:15 pm »

The parameters don't reproduce the world gen freeze, but I got it to happen once on my own (and my parameters then didn't reproduce it either), so I'm hoping I can at least verify when I fix it.  There's an additional issue that generating the same world twice in a row with the same seed produces different results if you don't quit the game in between (so there's some lingering data).  Probably not related to the freeze, but I'll try to get it all.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 01, 2015, 06:03:45 pm »

Hmm, sometimes mining designations, removing floors etc paint blue and nothing happens after a while. Is this a new feature or a bug?
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

MobRules

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 01, 2015, 06:10:54 pm »

Hmm, sometimes mining designations, removing floors etc paint blue and nothing happens after a while. Is this a new feature or a bug?

Feature, it was in the last version, as well :). You accidentally hit 'm' to change it to 'mark only' mode. Hitting 'm' again should get you back into actual designation mode. (I can never remember whether that was a vanilla feature or a dfhack thing).
Ninja dragons! Protect the masterwork roasts!
Is this biome reanimating? I really don't want to know what happens when "absurd numbers of megabeasts" is combined with "reanimating biomes".
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9