Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Best ship?

AngelxAlistair (Toy ship ahoy!)
- 2 (8.7%)
RichardxCyrielle (Yes, she's a side character. No, that does not make this any less cute.)
- 0 (0%)
MariaxSelinaxYurixNuriel (HAREM)
- 5 (21.7%)
RichardxCamille (The only couple who knew each other for longer than two months. Woo~)
- 1 (4.3%)
AshleyxConnyxNurielxBismuth (OPPOSING HAREM)
- 1 (4.3%)
LylexEveryone (An Uke and five Semes. Go figure.)
- 2 (8.7%)
AlistairxCatherine (Minako, eat your heart out.)
- 0 (0%)
MariaxSelina (The original, accept no substitutes.)
- 1 (4.3%)
LyleXRichard (Too much yuri, not enough yaoi.)
- 1 (4.3%)
IzzyxLucas (Because a normal tsundere is not enough.)
- 1 (4.3%)
WillxStella (*insert witty tagline here*)
- 2 (8.7%)
MariexEveryone (Marie, duh.)
- 2 (8.7%)
AshleyXRichard (Screw retcons, I want my OTP now!)
- 1 (4.3%)
MariaxMattxSelina (The original OT3. And who was Matt again?)
- 2 (8.7%)
Richard/CyriellexFourth Wall (Who didn't see this coming?)
- 2 (8.7%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Pages: 1 ... 967 968 [969] 970 971 ... 1030

Author Topic: Rise of the Magic Girls v2 OOC: MOAR LAMPSHADES PLEASE  (Read 974864 times)

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Rise of the Magic Girls v2 OOC: MOAR LAMPSHADES PLEASE
« Reply #14520 on: May 31, 2014, 05:01:28 am »

Allow me to clarify, I am opposed to the idea as a whole, but the only real point of contention that I care enough to debate is the absurd pretense that it is hacking and not something that is, at least in part, fueled by something supernatural. A semantic argument.
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
  • Death and I, we have an understanding
    • View Profile
« Reply #14521 on: May 31, 2014, 05:15:01 am »

thing is, they can't. ICARUS is still one of a kind. Note that it was not coding stuff, but Kyles divine granted fertility which brought life to the code. It's really getting into technicalities, but rather than an AI, ICARUS is more some sort of code-elemental. A computer spirit. A kind of supernatural being that is new to the world, as during previous magic cycles (it seems in this setting, magic comes and goes in irregular intervals) did not exist, because back then, there was no computers. It's the supernatural entering the cyber age. Note GWGs dragon lore, this cycle includes a form of dragon particularly affine to technology. The supernatural is not on a standstill, and not every super natural being is actually something ancient. There's for example monsters that are a result of massive pollution, that too are a result of the modern age. Likewise nowadays traditional supernatural things have not always been there, but at some point, came into existance. Werewolves? Quite certainly not something that was around before mankind and wolf, and even then, probably only happened once they started interacting closer with eachother, like through dog domestication. Leprecauns? Man, I wonder what they did before gold became valuable and pots were a thing. Did faries exist before butterfly wings were invented, or forests? What about these japanese Umbrella monsters?

Hacking is just semantics, if you prefer, call it hack-o-mancing. The result of the supernatural adapting to the changes of the world.

As far as the server goes, I will probably ditch that anway. If we are to make the game more difficult, there should not be death contingencies.
Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14522 on: May 31, 2014, 05:18:16 am »

Semantics is really all that matters in this case. After all, if she's just some sort of code elemental using hack-o-mancy or somesuch, that prevents people just having their characters learn how to "hack" and replicating the same thing.

After all, what poses a threat to balance is not necessarily what people have, but what they can gain. Not what is bound to what is one's soul but rather what one may become bind to one's mind.

Personally, I believe that skill-wise, a character should have as many skills as they want, no arbitrary maximum number or anything. But those skills must have limits. I propose the following three limits to all non-supernatural skills:
-Reality
-How much the player knows about it
-How much the player is willing to research it
That is, ground 'mundane skills' in realism to prevent abuse, but allow people to be skilled in it. If they can provide evidence as to whether a use of that skill is possible, then let them. If they have their character learn something new behind the scenes with a few mentions, go ahead. As long as they do not make breaks from reality, after all, their ability is their magic, NOT that skill, so there should be no need to turn the skill into some sort of pseudo-magic.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2014, 05:37:47 am by Empiricist »

smurfingtonthethird

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14523 on: May 31, 2014, 06:16:29 am »

Yes, but then munchkins would have skills in EVERYTHING. It'd get unbalanced pretty quickly.
RIP Moot ;-;7 Sigtext!

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14524 on: May 31, 2014, 06:21:14 am »

Well, they'll have to go research everything then if they want to use it. Not to mention that I don't think things like cooking, automotive repair or martial arts does much against bullets to the head.

smurfingtonthethird

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14525 on: May 31, 2014, 06:25:05 am »

Granted, but take a few perks in things like stealth and military tactics and you might get somewhere.

Otherwise, it's a nice system, it just has to be munchkin-proofed.
RIP Moot ;-;7 Sigtext!

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #14526 on: May 31, 2014, 06:26:57 am »

If it ends up being you who takes over, I wish you much luck sorting through the bullshit we filled the game with. :P

smurfingtonthethird

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14527 on: May 31, 2014, 06:37:12 am »

...This puts WAOA to shame. I feel like I've been issued a challenge.  ;D
RIP Moot ;-;7 Sigtext!

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #14528 on: May 31, 2014, 06:39:43 am »

Eheheheheheh....

smurfingtonthethird

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14529 on: May 31, 2014, 07:03:35 am »

I've not only seen potatoes destroy humanity (repeatedly), interdimensional slapfights, supertea powered demigods, more crossovers then you can imagine, and reality saved by a insane god riding a potato: I made them happen. I am ready for any amount of bullshite they can throw at me.

Regretting this statement in 3, 2, 1...
« Last Edit: May 31, 2014, 07:08:14 am by smurfingtonthethird »
RIP Moot ;-;7 Sigtext!

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14530 on: May 31, 2014, 07:17:30 am »

not all that much bullshit. For the foreseeable future, plots will be handled by Projeck and Me for the most part. All that the GM really does is look through and approve things ((I guess before the reboot, everyone would have to fill a new, more detailed character sheet explaining stuff)), settle arguements and answer questions regarding the setting when they are not answerable by the plot-GMs
Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

smurfingtonthethird

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14531 on: May 31, 2014, 07:26:50 am »

Ah, so it's more of an admin role then? That reduces the workload dramatically.

Wait, so the GM would also in charge of gameplay mechanics? There might be some issues there, if the cries of players are anything to gauge off.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2014, 07:35:18 am by smurfingtonthethird »
RIP Moot ;-;7 Sigtext!

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14532 on: May 31, 2014, 07:45:15 am »

well, only of some players. Mostly, I'd say that Dex is simple *way* to useful, as it is used to both aim physical and magical attack, and dodge physical and magical attacks, followed by Endurance, which gives you tons of health, and also reduces the damage from physical attack and of magical attacks. Mind is literaly just used to resist various status effects, while str and mag do nothing at all except determine the damage you deal

though it only gets problematic when the stats become rather large compared to the d50 we roll on, as it drives stuff to absurdity. What we really need is reduced stats, so that enemies no longer need gamebreakingly huge stats and still be stronger than us.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2014, 07:46:52 am by Akroma »

Sanure

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:DRONE][PREFSTRING:MADNESS][ETHICS:NOPE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14533 on: May 31, 2014, 07:59:28 am »

Hmm.... I could see everyone getting a stat point reset. It would help lessen the burden on being OP.

As for powers, I suppose we rediffine what the power does and make it as descriptive as possible without writing a wall? Maybe even include the rules for said powers.
Quote from: Discord
Suika, Drinker of Sake - Today at 9:11 PM
"...I really don't know why Cu chulainn made that last promise because he is physically incapable of keeping it in his pants, it is like his junk is some kind of unruly seamonster or moray eel telescoping out of its holster and harpooning ladies left and right"
Johnny Jokotaru sent Kars down under

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14534 on: May 31, 2014, 08:00:58 am »

yeah, rules would be very good. So far only ICARUS statboost and Samsons ability really have numbers attached to the in regard to the effect.

Also meh, to avoid dual powers, I will just stick with ICARUS overdrive. Hacking may as well just be a mundane skill she picked up.
Pages: 1 ... 967 968 [969] 970 971 ... 1030