Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Airships: Conquer the Skies  (Read 3958 times)

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Airships: Conquer the Skies
« on: May 02, 2016, 08:30:05 am »

I found this hidden gem called Airships: Conquer the Skies on Steam. To date, 504 reviews with overall score of Overwhelmingly Positive.

Basically you design airships, landships (imagine giant tanks and walkers), and buildings (imagine fortresses and guard towers) in 2D and use them to battle it out against other designs. There are single player campaign and multiplayer battles. The player base is still small, due to lack of exposure, but I'm loving it so far and hoping it will get some attention here.

Official website

Steam store page

Gameplay video
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 08:33:56 am by BuriBuriZaemon »
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

kulik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Airships: Conquer the Skies
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2016, 10:42:04 am »

This is one hell of a game and everyone with even a small interest in steampunk should play it. Next update will introduce monsters such as flying kraken: http://zarkonnen.com/airships/the_kraken

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2016, 12:14:52 pm »

Didn't we already have a topic on this? I thought interest in it and the project itself had waned, but I'm glad I'm wrong.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2016, 04:51:22 pm »

Got it, played it, none around for multiplayer really and after a few (good!) hours, I don't feel there is much content left to explore. Maybe if you had a more complex system of rooms/damage allocation, moving parts (or a decoupler), one-use-weapons (like torpedos), different ammo types and reactions, different reactions of different materials hitting X/Y, more AI randomness and interaction and a bit more life to it... but eh, it does its job.

kulik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2016, 11:55:13 pm »

I'f you haven't made a crocodile airship, you haven't even scratched the surface.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2016, 12:32:07 am »

"This game is amazing!" - Scoopbeard

I play it a lot actually.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
  • Overanalyzing and overthinking EVERYTHING.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2016, 06:05:54 am »

I tried the game out, made a simple cheap(1017$) airship with rifles on both sides with reinforced wood armor and subsequently beat the entire map with nothing but one or two of them each fight without losing a single ship. I feel conquest doesn't last long enough and if the laziest design I could throw together wiped out everything repeatedly, I fear the game won't have much longevity for me. Cool concept, but not too much of a challenge, Windforge would probably be my go-to 2D airship designing game until this one gets harder.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 06:09:52 am by Ygdrad »
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2016, 08:18:26 am »

Well by vanilla airship standards $1017 is not cheap. Also, what were you settings, I'm curious? The smallest tend to be too easy, but the game scales exponentially once empires are allowed to blob, pretty much ensuring your death.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
  • Overanalyzing and overthinking EVERYTHING.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2016, 08:34:07 am »

I had the size on medium and the difficulty turned up to max. Getting the first 1k$ for a ship took no time at all and once I started capping cities they weren't hard to produce. The match was a very short one, they never took out anything of mine and I just stomped on everything.
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2016, 03:41:20 am »

Airships may feel simple at first but I feel it has many layers of complexity that are hidden. Bigger, more expensive ships are not necessarily better than the smaller, lower costs one. I built a $7000 landship and another, more heavily armed $10,000 landship (cos I'm obsessed with Maus and Ratte-kind of tanks) and tested the two against each other. Surprisingly the $7000 won simply by being designed better.

I had most fun when testing my designs against other players in Multiplayer.

Windforge looks interesting though, looking into it now.

EDIT: Windforge is basically Terarria with airship building, while Airships is straight-to-action airship building game. Both are not comparable, only thing they have in common is the airship theme.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 03:53:43 am by BuriBuriZaemon »
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2016, 06:30:36 am »

Multiplayer could profit heavly from a "here is my ship design, fight vs it with a AI controlling it" - maybe even add AI layout (i.e. always try to ram, move above, move below) and ya'd have some interaction even if you're not american.

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2016, 07:36:09 am »

Multiplayer could profit heavly from a "here is my ship design, fight vs it with a AI controlling it" - maybe even add AI layout (i.e. always try to ram, move above, move below) and ya'd have some interaction even if you're not american.

You can toggle on/off AI control on your ship in both multiplayer and combat mode, but no AI layout. The button is on the top of the screen. You can toggle AI on and your ship(s) will fight independently. You can immediately toggle it off again to regain control.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2016, 08:51:49 am »

'I know, but I want to fight ships of other players. Seeing how I didn't see a single person online in the year-ish I had it, even when i showed up on the "play times" from the website, ... yeah.

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2016, 04:50:47 pm »

Interface for this game is top tier horrible though.

I don't get why it isn't less awful, it wouldn't even have been more effort >_>
You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2016, 07:22:25 am »

I'll definitely keep a look on this, I saw a couple days ago but missed lathland let's play. maybe when the next sale comes around...
Pages: [1] 2