Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 17

Author Topic: Soldier toughening: Item Drop Training  (Read 78635 times)

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
Re: Soldier toughening: Item Drop Training
« Reply #105 on: November 09, 2012, 04:11:25 am »

Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

FUCKIN' SIGGED

also I will definitely try this when I actually, y'know. Have enough small objects. All I have is a fuckton of boulders, and, uh. Bad idea, methinks.
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: November 09, 2012, 04:12:17 am »

FUCKIN' SIGGED

also I will definitely try this when I actually, y'know. Have enough small objects. All I have is a fuckton of boulders, and, uh. Bad idea, methinks.

Well, it's quite a smashing idea  8)

Tally

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: November 09, 2012, 05:33:55 am »

I am intrigued to know how well this idea would work when combined with an ammo-recovery system at an archery range. Place the ammo-recovery pit behind the range, and the bolts rain down on the trainees below.

The question here, however, is whether falling bolts deal more damage than their weight would otherwise allow. Someone earlier in this thread posted that he managed to cut up goblins by dropping glass serrated disks, so I feel it may be possible, or it may simply be damage converted to another type (which would probably be reverted back to blunt by mail shirts). If the damage algorithm otherwise doesn't change, this may be a more functional use for the drop training system. You could fashion bolts out of super-lightweight wood (featherwood, candlenut, willow) so the damage isn't lethal/serious by their drop, and reuse the fallen bolts for further archery training, which then rains bolts on other trainees.

Ravendarksky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • DFMon.exe - Get rid of DF SPAM
« Reply #108 on: November 09, 2012, 08:58:26 am »

Courtesy of this thread I just executed a whole host of goblins in my new Cat Cyclone trap.

Thanks!

It's a shame the whole dropping water on a dwarf thing doesn't seem to work, would have been easy to make a training shower. Does anyone know if:
a) items washed down onto a dwarf inflict hits
b) items wash down a tile will fall through a grate?

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: November 09, 2012, 09:03:07 am »

Items won't fall through a floor grate or bars, nor will contaimants either.

Falling stuffs will still hit the dwarf if they're in the way, regardless of how it's moved :D

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: November 09, 2012, 04:48:04 pm »

So I know we confirmed seeds and ruled out mugs. Has anyone got conclusive data regarding socks or similar items yet? Because, yeah. I like using seeds for farming, personally.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

SharkForce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: November 09, 2012, 06:59:51 pm »

So I know we confirmed seeds and ruled out mugs. Has anyone got conclusive data regarding socks or similar items yet? Because, yeah. I like using seeds for farming, personally.

ok, well, thread has a volume of 20 vs the volume of 10 for seeds. so far as i can tell, the density of silk or yarn is 500, but there is no indication of the density of seeds that i can see so far... if they count as ordinary wood, they'd be density 500 as well.

alternate possibilities include earrings (volume 3) and rings (volume 5), especially made of willow (390 density), candlenut (140) or feather tree (100). there is presumably also an unspecified other kind of tree between willow and candlenut; the table i found indicates willow is the 4th densest kind of wood. ordinary wood (whatever that means) would be density 500 and also should work.

however, i think the easiest to mass produce would be leaves. leaves are volume 5. digging through the raws, they are likely density 1200 however (the density of structural plants by default, apparently), but still... that should be 6,000 and the seeds (checking the raws) are likely density 600 for a total of 6,000 there as well, so quarry bush leaves (so far the only kind of leaves) would make an acceptable substitute afaict.

on closer inspection of the raws, plant thread is likely 1520 density, and therefore unsuitable. i suspect most plant fabric clothes will be likewise unsuitable, though their increased mass may be adequately counterbalanced by what is likely a very poor armour penetration ability. however, socks and gloves are listed as size 10, so silk or yarn (surprisingly) should work... i think. plus, they should probably have absolutely terrible attributes for armour penetration (see the ongoing science thread elsewhere on projectile vs armor science), which i expect would help nicely.

if you're feeling particularly cruel - and who isn't on these boards - loincloths and thongs are also size 10. although that's probably only dwarven ones... the good news is, goblins should be making smaller ones, which should therefore be lighter :) (oh, and leather is also density 500 by default... should be even lighter than seeds, oddly enough?).

hmmm... now i'm stuck wondering about how dense soap would be, and whether or not you could dump some soap and water into the mix and call it a dwarven laundry machine...

so... it looks like various forms of dirty (goblinite) laundry are useful in the armor training popcorn machine. although, on the other side of things, putting seeds into the popcorn machine just feels right.

usgreth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: November 09, 2012, 08:58:59 pm »

Shame this stuff didn't work in the version where I had about 8 goblins milling around the bottom of a multilevel single tile pit and dumped an an anvil on top of them.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: November 09, 2012, 08:59:14 pm »

This is the only game where dumping soiled goblin silk thongs on your soldiers' heads is a way to improve their combat skills.

material_template_default.txt:
seeds 600
plant structural (i.e. plump helmet) 1200
leaves 600 (they have their own template!)
soap 500

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: November 10, 2012, 12:17:55 am »

Huh. I forgot about leaves.

WELP. Off to mass produce Quarry Bushes and a fuckton of bags.

Though from what I recall, and this being the reason leaves even work, is that while you need a bag to process the plants to, you can go in after the job is done and dump every individual leaf, and thus justice can prevail.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: November 10, 2012, 03:08:58 am »

Do we know if the height the items are dropped from affects skill gain?

Skill gain is per-hit, regardless of how strong the hit is. This is why you want to rapidly bombard them with tiny soft objects.
Injuries cause additional skills to be trained that armor-deflections will not.   A boulder the broke my test-dwarf's leg improved his Spear skill as well as Fighting, whereas seed deflections boosted only armor-user (and the combat-related attributes).

Huh. I forgot about leaves.

WELP. Off to mass produce Quarry Bushes and a fuckton of bags.

Though from what I recall, and this being the reason leaves even work, is that while you need a bag to process the plants to, you can go in after the job is done and dump every individual leaf, and thus justice can prevail.
From my experience of trying to feed a fort on nothing but fried nut-cakes, I found out that when you dump quarry-bush leaves out of the bags, the leaves will persist and will not spoil, but also don't seem to be treated as food items nor get re-bagged (as can happen with seeds).

This does however make them a potential source of "pummeling items".  Just be wary that their stack size, and hence mass, will vary.

For humor value though, I think mass-producing handwear would be the best.  GLOVE-SLAP TRAINING!!!!
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

Tally

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: November 10, 2012, 03:20:05 am »

Injuries cause additional skills to be trained that armor-deflections will not.   A boulder the broke my test-dwarf's leg improved his Spear skill as well as Fighting, whereas seed deflections boosted only armor-user (and the combat-related attributes).

Sounds like the ideal way to drop-train dwarves is to bombard them with increasingly larger objects, scaling with how much their toughness improves, as well as their armor usage skill. The general concept would be to drop objects that consistently cause very minor injuries, and probably let them rest and get stitched up in a hospital in between training sessions.

Also, the perfect nickname for this room: Trauma center.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2012, 03:26:42 am by Tally »

mordaen

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: November 11, 2012, 02:08:39 pm »

Is anyone else having a problem using quantum's bridge tossing method. I've got it working and it trains up the armor skill and toughens up the dwarves. But I end up with a lot of broken ears and knocked out teeth that result in my dwarf dying from infection awhile later. Anyone else having this issue? Only difference in my layout vers his original design is I don't have ramps under the bridge and I have a doorway that leads into the 1x2 area with the 2 1x1 retracting bridges.

kingubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: November 11, 2012, 07:09:21 pm »

Is anyone else having a problem using quantum's bridge tossing method. I've got it working and it trains up the armor skill and toughens up the dwarves. But I end up with a lot of broken ears and knocked out teeth that result in my dwarf dying from infection awhile later. Anyone else having this issue? Only difference in my layout vers his original design is I don't have ramps under the bridge and I have a doorway that leads into the 1x2 area with the 2 1x1 retracting bridges.

This happens to me all the time.  :(  I find I have to train the squad up before sending them into the pit.

Seems like infection is much worse this version.  I have clean water and soap and I'm still losing a large percentage of injured dwarfs to infection.  Hmm, unless somehow seed injuries are more prone to infection for some reason.  I've lost more dwarfs to infection in the last couple weeks than in the previous year.  It's quite vexing.

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: November 12, 2012, 01:47:09 am »

Just to make sure you haven't let anything obvious slip past your attention, but are your dwarves actually WEARING HELMETS?  Not just have them assigned, but have helmets as their physical headgear.  If dwarves have Caps of any kind as part of their clothing, and your armor is NOT set to replace clothing, then this will prevent your dwarves from donning proper protective headgear and so leave them vulnerable to head injuries.

Alternately, what item are you using in the pummeling-chamber?

Sounds like the ideal way to drop-train dwarves is to bombard them with increasingly larger objects, scaling with how much their toughness improves, as well as their armor usage skill. The general concept would be to drop objects that consistently cause very minor injuries, and probably let them rest and get stitched up in a hospital in between training sessions.

Also, the perfect nickname for this room: Trauma center.

Science will determine the proper item type for delivering occasional injuries.  These injuries will also further boost the dwarve's willpower stat!
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 17