Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 447 448 [449] 450 451 ... 1067

Author Topic: League of Legends - Patch 7.22 - Runes Reforged  (Read 1219647 times)

Vactor

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^ DF 1.0 ^^
    • View Profile
Re: League of Legends Updated! - Viktor, the Machine Herald - 1.0.0.131
« Reply #6720 on: January 08, 2012, 07:18:24 pm »

When I was starting out a friend forced me to duoqueue with him. He was lvl 30. I don't remember the chatlogs, but I'm sure I gave at least some people aneurysms.

edit : Also to whoever suggested waiting for the next free rotation... I'm sorry :( I bought Lux. Completely blind, just checked her ult's cooldown (the lol wiki claims it's 40 secs). Haven't tried her yet, someone is streaming some sports video on the other pc. I'm afraid it's turning into a  "Can't stop buying shitty champions blind, please send help!" scenario... your day will come soon, Pantheon.

I also grinded up the 3150 IP in three days, but I'm afraid I cannot do this ever again. The impotent nerd-rage...

The best advise I can give for starting out playing lux, is buy a mejai's early and always always always run away if you are by yourself.  Lux is a great champion, but you have to build the right habits to stay alive, and be up and ready when the team fights happen.  Once you've got her down you will be able to tell when you can stick around and kill someone yourself, and when you need to get out of town.  To start with however... its dangerous to go alone.
Wreck of Theseus: My 2D Roguelite Mech Platformer
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=141525.0

My AT-ST spore creature http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0btwvL9CNlA

mr. macduggan

• Bay Watcher
  • HEY! LISTEN! HEY! HEY! LISTEN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6721 on: January 08, 2012, 09:04:40 pm »

I almost just started playing LoL, but then I realized that most of the people in the game are elitist bastards and that the game has much more jargon than starcraft 2. If anyone has a good counterargument to my reasons, please tell me, because I might enjoy getting into LoL if I am confident that learning is a palatable experience.
Flooding the area with magma removes blood, dust, vomit, goo, mud, and dwarves.
Also, I'm composing digital music over in the Forum Games part of the forums!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #6722 on: January 08, 2012, 09:15:04 pm »

From what I understand, the best counterargument available is that LoL has the least elitist, least bastard, elitist bastards of all games of its sort (Read: AoS knockoffs) that's actually being played. No clue what the counter to the jargon is, though.

Someone actually able to play the game (Frak maestro to the depths of the abyss) might have a better answer, though :P

Quick E: Which I realize might not be the most persuasive of arguments, but that sort of player sump is what you get when you make 'skill-based' the only really defining feature (Of a genre, not just LoL. Up DotA's arse with a stick, for it 'tis to blame.) :P 

When there's a minimum level of skill needed to not got roflrolled, people get stuck up about skill.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 09:19:20 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #6723 on: January 08, 2012, 09:17:38 pm »

I almost just started playing LoL, but then I realized that most of the people in the game are elitist bastards and that the game has much more jargon than starcraft 2. If anyone has a good counterargument to my reasons, please tell me, because I might enjoy getting into LoL if I am confident that learning is a palatable experience.
Well, don't worry about the terminology: You pick that up as it goes along. Like gank. Or leash. Or baron. Or dragon. Or blue. You can just ask, and usually you won't have a complete jerk on your team who will be like: "It means such-and-such."

As for the elitism, it's more like people take this game seriously. But, it's like 50 times more friendly than Dota. I mean, at least there is a way to LEARN how to play the game. And it's even better if you have someone to play with, especially if you know this person in real life, because they can make fun of how often you die, and teach you how to not suck. We've even got some people here that would gladly teach you things, and we can borrow the DFC LoL teamspeak room, if you want to be YELLED AT MERCILESSLY! informed right away, instead of typing.

I mean, it's like sports. Some people get really into them. Some people don't. And some of those people troll you.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #6724 on: January 08, 2012, 09:26:03 pm »

The level system helps with learning the game. You may think it's a pain in the ass (and it is), but it helps separate out the new people from the really good ones, which was/is a big problem in DotA.

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6725 on: January 08, 2012, 09:27:36 pm »

The level system helps with learning the game. You may think it's a pain in the ass (and it is), but it helps separate out the new people from the really good ones, which was/is a big problem in DotA.
Could you explain how the level works?
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #6726 on: January 08, 2012, 09:33:42 pm »

Could you explain how the level works?
It works as a pseudo-meta-RPG. You start at level 1 and work your way up to level 30 by playing the game. Each win and loss gives you XP which levels you (wins give quite a bit more). You will only ever play with people at or near your level (this is what keeps the new people away from the really good ones). Leveling up also gradually unlocks masteries and runes (meta-game things that increase various stats of your champion).

There's also the Elo system, but that really only comes into play at level 30.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6727 on: January 08, 2012, 10:27:04 pm »

There's three different things splitting up the playerbase so that people mostly get matched with others of their skill level. There's levels, which is the big one for your first 100 games or so until you reach the level cap of 30. Just think of it as a long tutorial or a probation period. You get slowly introduced to new skills, runes, masteries, etc so you don't get completely overwhelmed.

Then there's games played, you won't see someone with 2000 games played if you've only played 100 unless you are extremely skilled.

And finally there's ELO, which is a scoring mechanism used to track your personal skill somewhat. Basically, the more wins over losses, the higher your ELO. You don't get to see it in normal games, but you can when you play ranked.

All three combined is used to try and matchmake. It's not perfect, but it's way better than no matchmaking at all.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #6728 on: January 08, 2012, 10:38:51 pm »

Nit-picking, but Elo is not an acronym. The Elo system is named after the guy that invented it.

And I've found that games played isn't really a split.

Yodamaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6729 on: January 08, 2012, 10:40:36 pm »

Skarner is so broken.

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6730 on: January 08, 2012, 11:47:02 pm »

I don't know. Play it if it seems fun? I don't really see the use in persuading you to play this game that you don't want to play, especially if you think I'm probably an elitist bastard.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #6731 on: January 08, 2012, 11:50:49 pm »

Anybody else think of separating junglers into different types? Like sustain-junglers, counter-junglers, etc.

Just something I thought of, there has to be some way to consistently categorize junglers and have some generic counters to them.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6732 on: January 08, 2012, 11:51:06 pm »

Nit-picking, but Elo is not an acronym. The Elo system is named after the guy that invented it.

And I've found that games played isn't really a split.

Straight from Riot's mouth:
New players get special protection to increase the likelihood of being matched with and against other new players.

Hence, you won't fight someone with 2000 games played even if his Elo was 1200.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6733 on: January 09, 2012, 01:25:13 am »

Basically the whole matchmaker system is made for only two things.

Make sure you are teamed up with 4 feeders (all of them playing AD carries) against a team of hardened hardcore pros.
Make sure you land into ELO hell and be paired with trolls/leavers every freaking game.

That's why i play coop games against the AI... at least bots can't get fed since they get items based on time rather than earned gold.

Also in news.... tank garen is best build.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #6734 on: January 09, 2012, 01:30:00 am »

this is one of my biggest pet peeves
Pages: 1 ... 447 448 [449] 450 451 ... 1067