Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 600 601 [602] 603 604 ... 1067

Author Topic: League of Legends - Patch 7.22 - Runes Reforged  (Read 1221831 times)

Techhead

• Bay Watcher
  • Former Minister of Technological Heads
    • View Profile
Re: League of Legends Updated! - Jayce, Defender of Tomorrow - 1.0.0.142
« Reply #9015 on: July 13, 2012, 12:32:22 pm »

My viewpoint on the matter is that results matter more than methods.
If it works, do it. If it doesn't work...
Engineering Dwarves' unfortunate demises since '08
WHAT?  WE DEMAND OUR FREE THINGS NOW DESPITE THE HARDSHIPS IT MAY CAUSE IN YOUR LIFE
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.

ansontan2000

• Bay Watcher
  • I am a Poro. Fear me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9016 on: July 13, 2012, 01:23:12 pm »

Meh. At this stage of LoL's meta, I mostly just screw around on ranked with RL friends. Things like all yordle or all mid AD carry. Makes league much more enjoyable.
When a soldier makes a mistake, one man dies.
When a captain makes a mistake, a dozen men die.
When a commander makes a mistake, a thousand men die.
When an emperor makes a mistake, well, there is a game save for retry.

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #9017 on: July 13, 2012, 01:29:17 pm »

Yeah. League's design direction (Squash ALL the bugs!) has made it stagnate. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but the meta isn't going to change until Riot makes some massive changes. Something like halving turret damage to champions, or maybe taking out Infinity Edge and Bloodthirster.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #9018 on: July 13, 2012, 01:39:46 pm »

...Am I the only one who gets almost exclusively sane people in my matches?

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #9019 on: July 13, 2012, 01:56:39 pm »

I'm back from the PBE, bearing reviews of Zara and Xin!

Zara is cool. She's about as complex as Orianna, though that doesn't mean she plays similarly. Her plants take 3 hits to go down, from anything. This means something that deals a ton of tiny hits will instakill them (see: trollpool). Other than that, their ward-like health makes them feel pretty durable. Overall her kit has a ton of depth and I'm definitely pretty bad at her.

The Xin rework is interesting. His passive is "challenge" which lowers the target's armor by 15% whenever he autoattacks them. His ult does the typical percent damage (but with AD scaling) and knocks back all non-challenged targets. This means you can jump on a guy with your E and knock everyone else back. The CDR on autoattacks has been shifted to his Q, meaning that you can't infinitely chain CC anyone. He's definitely a more versatile and complex champion now, but a bit harder than before to compensate.

Also PBE patch notes here.
Buffed: Ziggs, Gangplank, Orianna
Nerfed: Urgot, Nocturne, Malphite, Heart of Gold, Philosopher's Stone
Tweaked: Kassadin, Morgana

Yeah. League's design direction (Squash ALL the bugs!) has made it stagnate. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but the meta isn't going to change until Riot makes some massive changes. Something like halving turret damage to champions, or maybe taking out Infinity Edge and Bloodthirster.

What would your idea of a meta change be?

Because there wasn't really anything that made the current metagame happen besides players figuring out that it was dumb to send AD carries mid. Riot didn't change AD carries to make them better than tanky DPS in bot, it's just that the metagame included the mistake of sending them to a subpar lane and when people figured out that was wrong, they stopped doing it.

Of course if you're talking about something besides lane setups then I could be wrong, it's just that's the most common part of the meta that gets talked about.

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #9020 on: July 13, 2012, 02:02:23 pm »

And *why* is it a bad idea to send AD carries mid, or send 1 champ bot, or not have a jungle?

All of those are influenced by mechanics of the game. Unless Riot actively changes the way the game works (Let's make it random whether dragon and baron spawn top or bot!), there's never going to be a massive change in the meta.

Bordellimies

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETHING_ORIGINAL]
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #9021 on: July 13, 2012, 02:19:38 pm »

And *why* is it a bad idea to send AD carries mid, or send 1 champ bot, or not have a jungle?

All of those are influenced by mechanics of the game. Unless Riot actively changes the way the game works (Let's make it random whether dragon and baron spawn top or bot!), there's never going to be a massive change in the meta.
I love that idea. And since the map is symmetrical, this would work really well too.

And yeah, I also don't know why non-mages can't be mid. Many ranged carries can overpower them if they get early MR from runes, masteries and maybe early Hexdrinker/Merc treads. Yet still, even if I go mid with 70 MR at level 1, I'm going to be told that I'm going to lose miserably to the other guy, simply because I'm not AP.
Warmogs are like bacon, they make everything better and you can never have enough of them

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #9022 on: July 13, 2012, 02:33:42 pm »

It's a matter of being optimal. APs scale more with levels, ADs scale more with gold. You get the same amount of gold whether it's solo or duo (With a 0cs support ofc), so there's no reason not to send the AP mid, where he'll scale faster.

There's another change you could make. Mid's minions give less XP, but the same amount of gold.

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9023 on: July 13, 2012, 04:11:47 pm »

I'd be curious about a Zyra/Lulu bot lane. Zyra has the "warding" that Caitlyn offers and some nice range on her skills and Lulu has her AP boost skill, which I can't imagine actually gets a lot of use on purpose in general. Plus they'd have so much CC it's completely ridiculous, so ganks would be neat.

Probably not super optimal, but it could be fun.
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #9024 on: July 13, 2012, 04:30:11 pm »

Zyra's jungle looks to be very, very odd. She nearly drops level 1, but the moment she hits 2, she clears camps like a god.

EDIT: Good lord, Eve clears fast now. She's going to be terrifying at counterjungling.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 05:33:46 pm by frostshotgg »

Cute Bebilith

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9025 on: July 13, 2012, 07:09:14 pm »

It's a matter of being optimal. APs scale more with levels, ADs scale more with gold. You get the same amount of gold whether it's solo or duo (With a 0cs support ofc), so there's no reason not to send the AP mid, where he'll scale faster.

While that's true in general, you have to factor in lane matchups. Some ADs can utterly demolish many APs. Sivir vs Annie, and anything vs Kassadin are brutal for example. Then you put your AP top and run double tank bottom to potentially deny the enemy AD. Or you just go standard for bot lane with a tanky support and jungler and have double AD.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #9026 on: July 13, 2012, 07:17:13 pm »

Can anyone tell me why anyone WANTS to change the meta? Why? Who cares? The meta is like that BECAUSE it's been shown to be effective.

These are really easy to answer questions. Sending an AD carry mid isn't necessarily a bad thing. It's just that many AP champs can throw an AD champ back to base. You end up playing passively, which again isn't necessarily a bad thing, but an aggressive mid will make you lose gold early, which you want. So they get stronger and stronger, and you only get just a tad better.

Now, if you manage to have an AD mid, then you've got a few choices bot. You can go double bruiser/tank bot. That is good if you manage to be huge bullies/they have weak sustain. You can also do AP and support/tank, which isn't nearly as great, since you lose out on levels. You can also do another AD bot with support/tank. This means double AD carry, which causes a few problems. You'll have more armor being built to mitigate two players on your team, meaning you'll either need an AP jungler (doesn't scale as well) or an AP top (does a pretty good job). If the AP top gets destroyed early, your team is not going to put out enough damage.

Now, let's look at the best choice, double bruiser bot. For this, you'll have an AP top, AD mid, and double bruiser bot with a wild card for jungler. Your bot lane won't be nearly as tanky as the other team, but there will be at least two of you manning the front lines, so that helps. However, unless you have a support jungle (actually pretty doable), you'll be down someone to support, which seems like a useless teammate, but basically can make or break a game.

As for sending one champ bottom, this is actually an occurrence that happens. You can send someone with either amazing sustain, long range, or incredible tankiness to fight two people bot. You only want to do this for a few reasons though: 1) If your solo does well with little cs, 2) if their top is someone that is very aggressive, or 3) if they have a passive lane bottom.

By sending one champion bottom, you lose dragon ward coverage, which is the main reason two people are sent bottom (instead of duo-lane tops). That means dragon gets hard to contest, and could subtly lose you the game.

For not having a jungle, that usually loses you the game. Having a jungler allows for ganks, which can literally win you the game. If you choose to do duo-lane top or mid instead, you get to dominate one lane in exchange for no jungle control, ganks against you, and overall stronger opponents.

Duo-lane mid would actually be the best choice, since you are free to gank top or bot from that lane. However, you will probably be outleveled by their jungler and mid, meaning that they will be able to hold that lane against you eventually. Your only real hope is to either crush their mid early on, invade the jungle, or gank top and bot a lot.

Basically, it just takes more effort to duo-mid than to have a jungler, who would do all of these things anyway. The only upside is the dominated mid, meaning he will be playing pretty passively.

While that's true in general, you have to factor in lane matchups. Some ADs can utterly demolish many APs. Sivir vs Annie, and anything vs Kassadin are brutal for example. Then you put your AP top and run double tank bottom to potentially deny the enemy AD. Or you just go standard for bot lane with a tanky support and jungler and have double AD.
And ninja'd. Yes, some APs are really hurt by ADs. All of the anti-mages REALLY suffer from ADs. Kassadin and Morgana are two that I can think of off the bat that would much rather fight an AP than an AD. Sivir laughs at many APs. But, usually, APs can stomp on an AD.

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #9027 on: July 13, 2012, 07:33:43 pm »

I never said I wanted to change the meta, just responded to the conversation that the meta isn't going to change without sweeping changes in the game itself.
As for reasons people don't like the meta, it's presently afk farm until somebody decides not to play passive, which is pointlessly boring to some people, there's not much room for variation, oh, and don't forget the armies of sheep.
"Ashe why are you going mid"
"I counter a lot of mids"
"But your job is carry"
"Yeah, and?"
"Carries go bot"
"But I get just as much farm going mid"
"Ashe, your job is carry"
"The only reason carries are supposed to go bot is [explanation of meta]. I do that just fine mid."
"Carries go bot"

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #9028 on: July 13, 2012, 07:54:18 pm »

I never said I wanted to change the meta, just responded to the conversation that the meta isn't going to change without sweeping changes in the game itself.
As for reasons people don't like the meta, it's presently afk farm until somebody decides not to play passive, which is pointlessly boring to some people, there's not much room for variation, oh, and don't forget the armies of sheep.
"Ashe why are you going mid"
"I counter a lot of mids"
"But your job is carry"
"Yeah, and?"
"Carries go bot"
"But I get just as much farm going mid"
"Ashe, your job is carry"
"The only reason carries are supposed to go bot is [explanation of meta]. I do that just fine mid."
"Carries go bot"
Right, but these people tend not to understand WHY things are done. Usually, when I play a game and I see something off-meta, I'll tell them not to screw up. I've seen some people play off-beat things (heck, I won the game with duo-support bot), but I won't stop them. I'll just blame them if they screw up. Like people that play AP Yi like they've been dropped on their heads. "Stun coming my way? Better meditate."

Basically, the problem tends to be the player not knowing how to play. Not how to play that type of character. Literally not knowing how to play.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9029 on: July 13, 2012, 08:25:06 pm »

That sounds like less like you're supporting the Meta and more like you hate stupid fucks.

Fuck the Meta. Assuming that it's not a first time thing done for testing then it probably at least has some point. And I'm fairly certain that stupid idiots blindly following the meta outnumber stupid idiots blindly disobeying it 10 to 1.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate
Pages: 1 ... 600 601 [602] 603 604 ... 1067