Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Start playing new Version or older one  (Read 2648 times)

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Start playing new Version or older one
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2014, 03:20:45 am »

I'd get the new version and jump ship ASAP.  Sure it might be a little broken at first, but jumping in the deep end and drowning repeatedly and loving every minute is what DF is all about.  Don't miss that experience, and now is the best time to share it with everyone here.

So excited about Toady's latest posts.  Can't believe it's almost here!
« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 03:22:37 am by hermes »
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer
I've been working on this type of thing...

SmileyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2014, 05:59:30 am »

Get the current version and start working through the tutorials on the Wiki. Once you've finished with them, the new one will be out and while there will be changes, at least you won't be combining a learning curve with a bugfixing curve!
In a fat-fingered moment while setting up another military squad I accidentally created a captain of the guard rather than a militia captain.  His squad of near-legendary hammerdwarves equipped with high quality silver hammers then took it upon themselves to dispense justice to all the mandate breakers in the fortress.  It was quite messy.

blackravenx

• Bay Watcher
  • Learning Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2014, 08:36:45 am »

Cool .. Wish there was a learning tutorial built into the game. I love the concept of the game and also looking forward to changes.

guitarxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2014, 09:13:49 am »

You don't actually need the whole lazy newb pack. There is only 1 additional thing required to play DF and 1 optional.

1). Dwarf Therapist. This one is required. It is essential. You must assign labours to your dwarves in order to be able to play, and the in-game way of doing it is incapable and insufficient.

2). DFHack. This tool is optional. Although it has many optional "cheat" commands and other plugins that enhance the gameplay (workflowy, for example), the biggest reason for having this tool are the multitude of bug fixes and tweaks that it can do for you. Although not essential, they make the game a bit less buggy.

And that's it! You don't need anything else! You don't need any graphics either. For someone new, it takes as much time to figure out what something is on the screen using graphics as it does using the bog standard "ASCII font". It is of course your choice, but so many new players are often misled by some people to believe that the game is unplayable without a graphics pack and that is simply not true.

Cool .. Wish there was a learning tutorial built into the game. I love the concept of the game and also looking forward to changes.

Although several versions out of date, these tutorials are still completely sufficient to learn to play the game. Give them a shot!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=31928.0
« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 09:15:22 am by guitarxe »
Feeling down? Click Here!

blackravenx

• Bay Watcher
  • Learning Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2014, 09:22:37 am »

I may just do that because I am a old school gamer :) and I do mean old lol (46 years old) but love PC games. I may give that a chance using the original game and spreadsheet. Thanks for all the quick advice...

My Urist Eternal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2014, 09:29:48 am »

I'd get the new version and jump ship ASAP.

"To jump ship" means "to abandon" and I'm pretty sure that is not what you meant to suggest!  :D

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2014, 09:31:02 am »

I'd get the new version and jump ship ASAP.

"To jump ship" means "to abandon" and I'm pretty sure that is not what you meant to suggest!  :D

Unless he meant that one should abandon the 0.34.11 ship rather than the DF2014 one.

blackravenx

• Bay Watcher
  • Learning Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2014, 09:36:39 am »

What I think he was telling me is to get the new one regardless of the bugs to get used to it but after I already been playing old one for a while. I may do that anyhow because I really don't need to experience bug attacks because sometimes that will cause people to leave the game entirely :). Bug attacks and learning = rage quits lol. I am looking now to find the download of the Dwarf Therapist I got the WIKI but i'll google it more. this forum is very active .. like it.

blackravenx

• Bay Watcher
  • Learning Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2014, 09:40:10 am »

Found the download on the developers site for Dwarf Therapist. And away we go! :)

My Urist Eternal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2014, 09:41:49 am »

I am looking now to find the download of the Dwarf Therapist I got the WIKI but i'll google it more. this forum is very active .. like it.

Download this and you will have everything you need, including Dwarf Therapist:

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126076.0

blackravenx

• Bay Watcher
  • Learning Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2014, 09:47:12 am »

I do have that too... but wanted to see how basic game is without all the addon.. yes graphics seems much better and even had something for sound but may roll with this for a bit. If map is too archaic I may go with a map pack.. what one you would all use just for the graphics? 

blackravenx

• Bay Watcher
  • Learning Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2014, 09:51:35 am »

Do most play the fortress mode or Adventure mode more? I know the new version focused a lot on the adventure aspect as well. So, guess I'll do fortress to learn the game and after that try adventure.

My Urist Eternal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2014, 10:01:02 am »

I do have that too... but wanted to see how basic game is without all the addon.. yes graphics seems much better and even had something for sound but may roll with this for a bit. If map is too archaic I may go with a map pack.. what one you would all use just for the graphics?

I use a square ASCII tileset. Still ASCII, but easier on the eyes:

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Tileset_repository

My Urist Eternal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2014, 10:02:08 am »

Do most play the fortress mode or Adventure mode more? I know the new version focused a lot on the adventure aspect as well. So, guess I'll do fortress to learn the game and after that try adventure.

Fortress mode and Adventure mode are *very* different games. Personally, I can't get into Adventure mode.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2014, 10:22:20 am »

The next version makes swapping between adventure and fortress modes both easier and more rewarding.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4