I am religious and do not believe in free will
- 10 (3.9%)
I am not religious and believe in free will
- 113 (44.5%)
I am not religious and do not believe in free will
- 61 (24%)

Total Members Voted: 249

Pages: 1 ... 153 154 [155] 156 157 ... 521

Author Topic: Railgun and Spirituality Discussion  (Read 578209 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: Religion and Spirituality Discussion: Yet Another Thread
« Reply #2310 on: June 29, 2015, 01:12:57 pm »

How lovely that you have fallen for your own petard then.

"Fascism" does not have a single, well defined definition. Dont believe me, look it up and see for yourself.  Under many of the proposed definitions, the actions I have cited as extant would make modern corporations qualify.

But please, do continue to your argument from authority fallacy.

Exhibit A
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/fascism

Exibit B
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/fascism

Exhibit C
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/fascism

Exhibit D
http://www.econlib.org/library/Enc/Fascism.html

Exhibit E
http://www.anesi.com/Fascism-TheUltimateDefinition.htm

(and I could do this all day long.)

Using an amalgamation of the recurring themes in those not quite 100% matching definitions, we get something along the lines of:

An authoritarian regime that does not tolerate insubordination, which uses hypernationalism and propaganda, and which controls industry through indirect means "for the national interest."

By analogue, the mechanics of a modern corporation resemble this--  The CEO and board of directors does not tolerate insubordination, and controls the workers through indirect means (such as the courts, via such things as those agreements) for the corporation's interest.

Back on topic, RE:Is there a point to that?

There is a rather pernicious problem with people who are raised to be religious; they cannot seperate their faith's views of morality from the conception of morality. As such, they simply cannot fathom that there are other modalities of morality besides religious ones. Specifically, ones originating in their faith.  This is why many such people consider people of different faiths "innately evil", and can mentally justify atrocities against them.  I have had that very conversation with many people of religious conviction.  Try it yourself.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 01:15:56 pm by wierd »

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #2311 on: June 29, 2015, 01:23:16 pm »

Yup.  The conflation of "Religionness!" with "Morality", (and the need for public schools to instil/reinforce moral instruction) often leads there.

"You cant have right and wrong without GOD!!"  the religiouisity types squeal.  Same old story. Same old song and dance.
It's actually ironic, as the God I see in the Bible (Jesus not counting, as there is nothing to say he is/was God) is not a moral one. Certainly the mass condemnation, rape and fossilisation are not messages I'd want my children reciting at Sunday school.
How much of the Bible have you read? Just curious to know where in the Bible God rapes. Also, what do you mean by fossilization.
I have read all of the Bible. Hell, I used to have favourite verses and stories from it.

Fossilized as in turned to stone, or rock salt in this case. Pillars of salt, etc.
As for raping, there are a number of cases in which God condones raping, even slavery. And, though it hadn't occurred to me until you asked, I suppose you could argue God raped Mary, as I don't recall ever reading of her giving consent. Just being told what to name the child.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #2312 on: June 29, 2015, 01:31:15 pm »

Yup.  The conflation of "Religionness!" with "Morality", (and the need for public schools to instil/reinforce moral instruction) often leads there.

"You cant have right and wrong without GOD!!"  the religiouisity types squeal.  Same old story. Same old song and dance.
It's actually ironic, as the God I see in the Bible (Jesus not counting, as there is nothing to say he is/was God) is not a moral one. Certainly the mass condemnation, rape and fossilisation are not messages I'd want my children reciting at Sunday school.
How much of the Bible have you read? Just curious to know where in the Bible God rapes. Also, what do you mean by fossilization.
I have read all of the Bible. Hell, I used to have favourite verses and stories from it.

Fossilized as in turned to stone, or rock salt in this case. Pillars of salt, etc.
As for raping, there are a number of cases in which God condones raping, even slavery. And, though it hadn't occurred to me until you asked, I suppose you could argue God raped Mary, as I don't recall ever reading of her giving consent. Just being told what to name the child.

I don't recall him having sex wih her either (unless you take a highly anachronistic interpretation of the phrasing of Luke 1:35)
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2313 on: June 29, 2015, 01:33:17 pm »

I wasn't even thinking about teachers having a problem with it, though that was probably naive on my part.  I was thinking about the response from peers when the child doesn't join in the group recital.  It didn't go well for the Jehovah's Witness kids in the 40's, and I seem to remember more recent cases around 9/11.

For a long while kids weren't *required* to join in school prayer, but by choosing to abstain they disassociated themselves from the group.  It's literally equivalent to having a "voluntary" recital of any other political rhetoric, where any child is "free" to separate themselves from the group and watch.

As a reminder, this interesting derail started from the phrase "Under God" in the pledge of allegiance.

Assuming the God represents an actual deity, can someone explain why it isn't a betrayal of our ideals of liberty and religious freedom?
I don't think anyone would argue that the under God phrase in the pledge violates the separation of church and state. And today I'd say it violates our ideal of religious freedom too. Why it violates the ideal of liberty I'm not completely sure your reasoning for that, although as a monotheist, Loud Whispers point probably applies to me. The thing is that no one seems toseriously care enough about the pledge outside of schools enough to change it.
I think you missed a word, but you're saying it does violate separation of church and state?  Based on your second sentence.
As for liberty, the pledge is asserting that our nation is "under" another entity.  It's not Britain, but it's still a rejection of our independence. 
Just to belabor my point, some of the people who pushed this through were Catholic.

There was a long discussion about this, let me find it...
Okay well, Numbers 31 involves giving women to the Levites (special chosen people of God, like Samson) to be raped.  Not exactly God raping though.
Oh it was in the previous thread, found it:
Mary did not choose to let the Holy Ghost impregnate her, she wasn't even asked.  She probably knew some of the stories of God's wrath, or at least that her cousin-in-law the priest had been struck dumb by a terrifying angel.  And here was the same angel, informing her of imminent... well... rape.  What the Holy Ghost did probably wasn't technically sex, but she was impregnated without her consent. 

And did she really even accept it?  She didn't openly defy the terrifying angel who cursed her cousin-in-law and made her cousin supernaturally pregnant.  It would have been pointless and she probably expected punishment if she expressed doubt or ingratitude.  So she agreed that the thing would happen, then *didn't tell her fiancee*.  She tried to go through with the marriage but her pregnancy was discovered.  Either she thought both visitations were just dreams, or she was trying to hide the fact that she was bearing *the Messiah*.
So yeah, as you probably expected, we're saying that God raped Mary by impregnating her without consent.  Even if that didn't involve penetration.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2314 on: June 29, 2015, 01:50:30 pm »

Eh, mary might not count as rape, exactly. Forced impregnation, but that's a (very) marginally different thing. I don't think we actually have a proper singular word for that. It doesn't exactly come up very often without it being straight up rape.

As for god condoning rape, check Numbers (31), Deuteronomy (20, 21), some of the bits on slavery in Exodus (21, which pretty much says you're okay to rape your slaves), Samuel (2 Samuel 12, where god gives up a person's wives to their neighbor to be raped), Judges (21), and Zechariah (14, where god straight up says he's going to have the women of Jerusalem raped). Probably bits I'm missing, too. It pops up in a handful of places.

---

... did make me finally realize we actually have the technology to perform virgin births nowadays, don't we? If someone really wanted to, and could find a sufficiently unethical medical practitioner. Doesn't really mean much considering it's fairly arguable mary actually was a virgin, but still.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 01:52:36 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2315 on: June 29, 2015, 01:53:15 pm »

"Jesus is holy but... he was born out of wedlock! It is terrifying!"

"Eh...let's just say God popped him there."

It was inevitable.

:P
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #2316 on: June 29, 2015, 04:12:02 pm »

By God's standards, God is moral. He's not moral by your (or someone else's) standards, but I'd also wager that your moral standards are largely irrelevant to him.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2317 on: June 29, 2015, 04:19:59 pm »

The point is that people think God's morals are somehow the standard by which we should act, and that is false. Nearly everybody would say rape is wrong, no matter the context or person who says it's okay.

So, whilst God thinks he is right, to many his view in this regard is wrong. At least, the view the Bible represents him as having is, for many, wrong. His moral standards are thought by many to be relevant, but just like mine are ultimately irrelevant.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #2318 on: June 29, 2015, 05:10:34 pm »

By God's standards, God is moral. He's not moral by your (or someone else's) standards, but I'd also wager that your moral standards are largely irrelevant to him.
If God's standards are not the same standards he demands of his followers, they aren't standards. And have the interesting implication that by the standards He demands of others, God is Evil.

OW, when did you start advocating Satanism?
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #2319 on: June 29, 2015, 05:13:07 pm »

Like the gods of the CTHULHU Mythos
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #2320 on: June 29, 2015, 05:14:35 pm »

'Bout the same time I posted this thread, actually. But I thought I was being subtle. How did you guess?
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #2321 on: June 29, 2015, 05:15:50 pm »

Like the gods of the CTHULHU Mythos
Why the hell did you spell Cthulhu like that?

'Bout the same time I posted this thread, actually. But I thought I was being subtle. How did you guess?
Gut feeling. Also the down-pointed pentagram, but mostly gut feeling.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2322 on: June 29, 2015, 05:22:03 pm »

Why advocate Satanism when you can advocate Stannisism? STANNISISM THE MANNISISM

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2323 on: June 29, 2015, 05:26:01 pm »

Because Satan is a misunderstood soul who looked to the stars and was, as a consequence, sealed in the lowest vaults of matter and time away from the stars. He was the insidious, yet loveable whisperer who told us of the advantages of knowledge.

Stannis is a cold brute of a man who acts on harsh duty. To quote (somewhat accurately, I hope) Jane Eyre, "feeling without judgement is too washy a draught...but reason without feeling is too bitter."
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2324 on: June 29, 2015, 05:26:53 pm »

The point is that people think God's morals are somehow the standard by which we should act, and that is false. Nearly everybody would say rape is wrong, no matter the context or person who says it's okay.

So, whilst God thinks he is right, to many his view in this regard is wrong. At least, the view the Bible represents him as having is, for many, wrong. His moral standards are thought by many to be relevant, but just like mine are ultimately irrelevant.
I think this is a bad example since God says rape is wrong too.
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)
Pages: 1 ... 153 154 [155] 156 157 ... 521