I am religious and do not believe in free will
- 10 (3.9%)
I am not religious and believe in free will
- 113 (44.5%)
I am not religious and do not believe in free will
- 61 (24%)

Total Members Voted: 249

Pages: 1 ... 234 235 [236] 237 238 ... 521

Author Topic: Railgun and Spirituality Discussion  (Read 578208 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Religion and Spirituality Discussion: God-Proof Chariots Edition
« Reply #3525 on: November 15, 2015, 01:27:52 pm »

Don't really give a damn about the quote mining. The difference I've spent too much time -- especially offline --running into between most of the biblical ones and most of the qu'ran ones is that the former is maybe trying to deconvert or belittle, and the latter is being used to support rhetoric that calls for the absolute genocide of the world's muslim population. Spend way to much of my goddamn time around people (devout christians, of course :-\) calling for glassing the middle east or murdering the world's muslim population down to the child, supported and emboldened by rhetoric hinged on stuff like that, to keep associating with the foundations of that message in my off time, too, y'know? Don't really have the energy at the moment, especially not when it's probably about to engender another wave of atrocities
For what it's worth, it's fairly frustrating for me when people associate christianity with terrorism, too (you'll note, again, that I wasn't actually doing that). There's damned few religions out there for which the actions terroism involves aren't explicitly damning.
Which is nice and all but you're talking about fictional genocides on the world's muslim population by American Christians surrounding you when around the world Muslims have been genociding non-Muslims and other Muslims in actuality. Forget Ottoman happy fun time, look at Indonesia where the people who slaughtered the Chinese are still running around with impunity still extorting the surviving Chinese for money. Or in Bangladesh where the Muslims there were practicing impure Islam and found themselves facing wholesale ethnic cleansing with millions dead? Or indeed modern day fundamentalists who have been scouring the land clean of infidels from the ME to South Asia?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Are we to pretend that when Islamic nations practice Islamic law that that too has nothing to do with Islam?
When the Kenya mall was attacked they separated the Christians from the Muslims and killed the former and then everyone started jumping up and down saying Islam has nothing to do with this. When the cartoon wars started it wasn't terrorists providing the uproar as they were beheaded, they were campaigning for the same blasphemy laws that the rest of the Muslim world lives under with Shariah. The Prime Minister of Malaysia cautioned that a shitty American film was a threat to world peace, not because he was threatening the USA - but because the reaction was going to be violent. This was the reaction from a billion Muslims who clearly were not terrorists, and were clearly just practicing what they follow in places where those values are the norm. Out of conflict Islam was shaped, and a practical political ideology was born. Muslims get their wealth seized, Muhammed allows Muslims to fight the Meccans to regain their wealth. Pagan poets begin criticizing Islam, bitter that it is encroaching. They are killed by their own clan members who converted to Islam. Wealthy Jews do not give Muhammed their support, they are expelled or beheaded. Jewish leaders causing discontent amongst your own ranks? Assassinate them, behead all of them that don't convert then enslave the rest. Conquered Mecca? Destroy all images and statues of the previous religions, erase them from history. This only expands with Umar redefining Jihad to rally support for the necessary invasion of the great Persian Empire beyond the mountain, or the Khawarjites forming the first sect and redefining sinners to be nonbelievers therefore expanding the scope of targets to include the entire world, muslim and nonmuslim alike. Few religions can claim to be peaceful, even fewer can claim to have not known violence, even fewer of those have not gone extinct. I cannot think of a religion this large that has its basis in good statesmanship and martial expansion. The reconquest of Persia was bloodier than the conquest of Persia.

Politics and religion have rarely been separated, even the American protestants with their constitution and their Catholics refusing to kiss the Pope's ring and all that use religion when convenient. I'm also reminded of the Papacy in Renaissance Italy being of particular fondness to such peoples as Niccolo Machiavelli. Some things never change, though who is in power does. Al-Azhar refuses to consider the Islamic State apostates. Declaring people apostates will incur the penalty of death under shariah law and has been used to kill political enemies before - people who had certainly done no crime as severe as falling afoul of the wrong people. This is just one example of an institution using its power to enforce its own particular brand of Islam, one which “allows for killing a Muslim who does not pray, one who leaves Islam, prisoners and infidels within Islam [those who do not have a clearly specified creed or sect]. [It also allows] gouging their eyes and chopping off their hands and feet, as well as banning the construction of churches and discriminating between Muslims and Ahl al-Kitab [Christians and Jews], and insulting them at times.”  Whether you believe that Muslims doing as they have done for hundreds of years is representative of Islam is really just a matter of faith. It happens, and will continue to happen. It hasn't been one week since the last anti-Hindu riot and even in moderate multicultural Malaysia the minister of Islamic affairs is more powerful than any other minister. This year the government introduced a shariah index to measure how compliant with Shariah law Malaysian law was. That is what Islamization looks like and is what will be for many countries in the future; I find it strange that Westerners on the one hand find a codified set of moral law as having too much influence whilst another has no influence.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3526 on: November 15, 2015, 01:57:43 pm »

The thing is, there's a lot of verses in the Qu'ran talking about peace and love for ones neighbor and etc. There's also quite a few talking about when waging holy war on someone is acceptable, usually in defense of Islam, emphasis there on defense. When foreigners try to take over, basically, and make what what was an Islamic state into a non-Islamic state. In comparison to Christianity, the idea of violence as inherently negative, rather than being a tool like any other, is relatively recent. Seriously, look at the religious wars Christianity got into; the only real difference is that the people going to war are considered part of their countries instead of terrorist groups, and there were so many more of them that it wasn't guerilla warfare (plus, genocide was still considered an acceptable response to those kinds of shenanigans from a town you just conquered back then).

The Qu'ran, like any other holy text, is rich with opportunities for a variety of interpretation. The Bible (and really, because of all the various translations, 'the Bible' is rather a poor phrase) has quite a few verses about conducting war in the name of god, or being the instrument of divine wrath and such as well. In both cases, it's about 'just war'.

But regardless, this does not mean Islam itself is bad. It means certain interpretations are.

Loud Whispers, what are you trying to say? Because religion is, most often, used as an excuse for other things. Yeah, people get pissy when you do things their religion considers offensive. That's rather unsurprising. If you're trying to say only Muslims have been committing genocide, or even that only Muslims have been committing genocide in modern times, you'd be wrong. If you're wanting to say that Islamic Law violates human rights, I'd agree with you, when you look at international definitions and agreements about it. Different cultures have different views on that, though. I would argue that Abrahamic Law in general violates human rights, myself. Just a matter of whether people are interpreting it literally.

When it's an institution using religion as an excuse to maintain their power base, blaming the religion, and by extension, all of the people who practice it, is a pretty shitty thing to do. Because when you criticize Islam, rather than criticizing X interpretation of Islam, you are insulting an entire culture and community of religious individuals. Why is it socially acceptable to criticize Christianity? Because it's the majority. It's the one with the power. Islam? In the Middle East they have power, and they don't allow criticism because most of the governments are still very authoritarian, and even when they aren't, it's quite obvious that Muslims don't appreciate having their religion insulted. And when someone puts up an image of Mohammad, knowing full well that Islam forbids it and finds it offensive, they are insulting it just as much as someone who tries to present themselves as a Christ-figure. It's just different cultural values and weights on freedom of expression. But regardless of all of that? When you attack Islam, just like when you attack any religion, you are attacking it's members. Which includes your fellow Americans or Europeans or Asians or what have you. Because Muslims are people too, and they're your fellow citizens. And you're saying they're bad people for believing in the religion they believe in, because other people are using their religion to commit atrocities. That is why I will defend Islam. I will not defend ISIS, I will not defend the Taliban, any more than I will defend neo-nazis and extremists of any other stripe. But the average individual? Not one of those things.

The most fucked up part of all of this is that being an extremist is hard to avoid when you're raised by extremists or in areas with massive strife and violence, and conflict between people of different sects or ethnicities. Hate can be taught, and is.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #3527 on: November 15, 2015, 02:45:23 pm »

The thing is, there's a lot of verses in the Qu'ran talking about peace and love for ones neighbor and etc. There's also quite a few talking about when waging holy war on someone is acceptable, usually in defense of Islam, emphasis there on defense. When foreigners try to take over, basically, and make what what was an Islamic state into a non-Islamic state. In comparison to Christianity, the idea of violence as inherently negative, rather than being a tool like any other, is relatively recent. Seriously, look at the religious wars Christianity got into; the only real difference is that the people going to war are considered part of their countries instead of terrorist groups, and there were so many more of them that it wasn't guerilla warfare (plus, genocide was still considered an acceptable response to those kinds of shenanigans from a town you just conquered back then).

The Qu'ran, like any other holy text, is rich with opportunities for a variety of interpretation. The Bible (and really, because of all the various translations, 'the Bible' is rather a poor phrase) has quite a few verses about conducting war in the name of god, or being the instrument of divine wrath and such as well. In both cases, it's about 'just war'.

The Bible is bad too.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #3528 on: November 15, 2015, 02:52:56 pm »

I'm caught in an amazing situation. If I try to defend Christianity, I will inevitably come off as trying to make Islam look bad. Even though I normally defend Islam. Isn't life wonderful? Regardless:

Rolepgeek, I guarantee you that all those verses about holy and just wars are in the Old Testament. The New Testament, on the other hand, has this: "For whoever lives by the sword, will die by the sword." And a lot of other verses I quote ad nauseum as well. Please don't misrepresent Christianity to make Islam look better.

The Bible is bad too.

You know what's conducive to healthy debate? Nonspecific statements about how Christianity sucks, without any kind of reference as to why.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3529 on: November 15, 2015, 03:01:13 pm »

The Old Testament's message is horrible to any human with morals and I don't mind saying so.  Its story is terrifying.  Its suggestions for law are abhorrent.

My impression is that you (Arx) think the New Testament completely undoes Old Testament Law and that God's nature changed to match Jesus's message.  Because any Christian who thinks otherwise is, literally and pejoratively, a cultist.

Much like the Islamic extremists.  Yeah there are many muslims who embrace peace and reject/ignore those parts of the Quran, but the Quran is still hateful.  Like the Old Testament.

Am I a "militant atheist" for suggesting that the violence of the Old Testament and Quran be abandoned?

Edit: I love the Cathars, and they were all about Jesus and peace.  They were definitely Christians.  They just recognized OT God as evil and got slaughtered for it, is all.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2015, 03:04:35 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3530 on: November 15, 2015, 03:02:08 pm »

The Bible is bad too.

You know what's conducive to healthy debate? Nonspecific statements about how Christianity sucks, without any kind of reference as to why.

The argument I was responding to took the Bible being good as a given. If it isn't dogmatically taken as a given then their conclusion about the Koran falls apart.

Their relevant part of the argument basically  boiled down to:

-The Bible and the Koran are about equally good
-The Bible is good
-Therefore the Koran is good

But the second given is far from given. It could be argued that some of the points meant to show the equivalence between the two books also show that both are bad.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3531 on: November 15, 2015, 03:04:20 pm »

The Jefferson Bible is good
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3532 on: November 15, 2015, 03:05:43 pm »

I think the main, underlying argument that can be made here is that Islam is more easily wrought to willful misinterpretations that promote violence.

The Bible is more violent overall, the only advantage is that Christianity holds the more violent half in basically low esteem while the Q'uran has it's violent passages sprinkled more evenly with the whole work having equal validity.  Islamists however are basically just Fascists and are ultimately just quoting the Q'uran selectively to back up what they would do anyway, whether in the name of religion or using more secular argument.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #3533 on: November 15, 2015, 03:15:27 pm »

The Old Testament's message is horrible to any human with morals and I don't mind saying so.  Its story is terrifying.  Its suggestions for law are abhorrent.

...have you read the Old Testament Law? Because the majority of it is... not that bad. Particularly given the standards of the time.

My impression is that you (Arx) think the New Testament completely undoes Old Testament Law and that God's nature changed to match Jesus's message.  Because any Christian who thinks otherwise is, literally and pejoratively, a cultist.

No? Except in the spots where it specifically contradicts the Old Testament. Like, you know, Jesus advocating for pacifism. And the specific replacement of much of the Mosaic Law.

I don't think I've ever called anyone a cultist or said anything hugely negative about anybody else's beliefs (except in cases where their beliefs clash with multiple elements of the Bible and they are Christians, in which case even so I usually try to avoid perjoratives).

Much like the Islamic extremists.  Yeah there are many muslims who embrace peace and reject/ignore those parts of the Quran, but the Quran is still hateful.  Like the Old Testament.

...wait, are you comparing me to an Islamic extremist?

Also, have you read the Qur'an?

Edit: you know, I think everyone needs to go read the thread rules. Rolan, GoblinCookie, anyone else that hasn't read them in a while.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3534 on: November 15, 2015, 03:19:37 pm »

Jesus didn't contradict the law, he told everybody that they cannot possibly keep it, so the only way to be saved is through Jesus, who did keep it.
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3535 on: November 15, 2015, 03:21:25 pm »

@Arx
I'm literally just saying that you probably don't condone stoning disobedient children, or forcing women to drink abortion-water if one suspects infidelity.  (And that if the abortion takes, they were unfaithful)

I understand that it was normal back then, but I don't think you believe it should be law now.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3536 on: November 15, 2015, 03:25:05 pm »

Forgive these walls of texts

Arx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #3537 on: November 15, 2015, 03:48:07 pm »

@Arx
I'm literally just saying that you probably don't condone stoning disobedient children, or forcing women to drink abortion-water if one suspects infidelity.  (And that if the abortion takes, they were unfaithful)

I understand that it was normal back then, but I don't think you believe it should be law now.

I'm afraid I have no idea where you're going with this.

Also, I urge you to actually go read the context of any passage you use as an argument. For instance, the 'abortion water' you mentioned is just some dust from the Tabernacle floor mixed with water and a tiny bit of ink, as a symbol/something of God's judgement. Not actually an abortion-inducing potion.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #3538 on: November 15, 2015, 04:36:32 pm »

Quote from: Rule 4
Please do not make moral or ethical judgements on any given belief or practice, or the people who follow it. Everyone has a different set of morals, and this is not the place for it. I encourage you to discuss cultural implications, but stating that someone is a bad person because they do/believe X is forbidden.
I know this is ridiculously hard to do re: militant Islam. You guys have been... okay so far, please don't let it get out of hand.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3539 on: November 15, 2015, 04:48:19 pm »

...have you read the Old Testament Law? Because the majority of it is... not that bad. Particularly given the standards of the time.

Kind of like how Stalin was such a great guy beause at least he wasn't as bad as Hitler
« Last Edit: November 15, 2015, 04:50:06 pm by Bohandas »
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις
Pages: 1 ... 234 235 [236] 237 238 ... 521