I am religious and do not believe in free will
- 10 (3.9%)
I am not religious and believe in free will
- 113 (44.5%)
I am not religious and do not believe in free will
- 61 (24%)

Total Members Voted: 249

Pages: 1 ... 340 341 [342] 343 344 ... 521

Author Topic: Railgun and Spirituality Discussion  (Read 578204 times)

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
Re: Religion and Spirituality Discussion: Everyone's a Coptic in Their Own Way
« Reply #5115 on: February 18, 2016, 11:53:48 pm »

In isolation, it certainly does. I believe the patch that's applied there is that God wants people to have free will, and to develop their souls and whatnot. It's 'worth more'. Or something.

Also yeah, that's a power held for God and God alone. We cannot be entrusted with it, as we are flawed.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5116 on: February 19, 2016, 12:01:36 am »

"be fruitful and multiply"
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #5117 on: February 19, 2016, 12:04:21 am »

Obviously this would be the work as a psychopath, but with my (admittedly middling to poor) knowledge of the Bible the only contradiction to it I can find is violation of the whole "thou shalt not kill" bit. 
"Thou shalt not murder" would be a better translation. God doesn't mind killing, just unlawful killing.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #5118 on: February 19, 2016, 12:08:08 am »

That's more of a recommendation than a command, no?

Unless of course infertile people are going to hell. I don't know if you get points for trying, so maybe it's only deliberately choosing not to reproduce? I won't claim to know the answer.

...I'm also not suggesting we go about murdering babies. Let me make that quite clear.

(As a side note, I'm fairly certain the Commandments were only meant to apply to one's own tribe. Granted that would mean that the hypothetical baby-murdering spree would have to occur at the very least in Canada and not where I live, but it could still happen.)
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #5119 on: February 19, 2016, 12:09:43 am »

The other issue with that that a lot of people seem to miss is the second-degree consequences. Murdering innocents could have a lot of knock-on effects on future conversion rates that you can't know about. What if one of those foetuses would, bar your interference, have been a great leader who would have saved hundreds or thousands, and [ good thing] to boot?

Sure, you'll also prevent some bad, but it's like going into a nuclear reactor and flipping switches are random; if you get the right switches, it'll keep running fine, but if you don't you could put it into meltdown, or more likely just break it in some boring way. The analogy isn't perfect, so please just take it in the spirit it's given in.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5120 on: February 19, 2016, 12:12:08 am »

I understand you don't advocate murdering every baby. Same goes for me.  :P

Be fruitful and multiply seems to be a command to the entirety of humans, but do not murder is actually a better one to use. Like orange wizard said.
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #5121 on: February 19, 2016, 12:14:10 am »

That's more of a recommendation than a command, no?
It's a command to humanity as a whole, rather than every individual. The NT epistles have a number of passages that say it's up to each person whether to marry and have children or not (with the implication being that the extra time/money goes towards the church or somesuch), but the expectation is that the human species should continue to expand as much as possible.

Anyway, re: murdering babies - it's pretty plainly a bad thing (discounting the afterlife possibilities) and it's not actually stated in the Bible whether or not every dead child will go to heaven. What is stated, however, is that God's covenant is made with believers and their children.
In other words, this means that the children of believers will go to heaven, but the children of others will not. Admittedly that's not certain (we're reminded time and time again that we can't know for sure who will or won't go to heaven) but it's definitely a point against murdering every infant out of "love".
« Last Edit: February 19, 2016, 12:18:33 am by Orange Wizard »
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #5122 on: February 19, 2016, 12:19:01 am »

The other issue with that that a lot of people seem to miss is the second-degree consequences. Murdering innocents could have a lot of knock-on effects on future conversion rates that you can't know about. What if one of those foetuses would, bar your interference, have been a great leader who would have saved hundreds or thousands, and [ good thing] to boot?

Sure, you'll also prevent some bad, but it's like going into a nuclear reactor and flipping switches are random; if you get the right switches, it'll keep running fine, but if you don't you could put it into meltdown, or more likely just break it in some boring way. The analogy isn't perfect, so please just take it in the spirit it's given in.

I suppose. Still, my main point was that the whole "babies go to heaven" thing is perhaps not the greatest principle to use - though I'd accept that babies killed by God probably get a free pass or somesuch. I guess not having that idea leaves the answer of what happens when an infant dies open once more. If God can see the future then I suppose they'd just go to wherever they would have gone should they have lived their life without my infanticidal interference, but then seeing the future kind of requires that our universe be deterministic, meaning that everyone's lives were preset from the beginning so why bother with life at all? Just toss everyone in the appropriate plane and wash your hands of it.

EDIT: Wouldn't that mean I should just murder -Christian- babies then? Leave the rest to grow up so they can convert.
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #5123 on: February 19, 2016, 12:20:12 am »

so why bother with life at all? Just toss everyone in the appropriate plane and wash your hands of it.
Because then the people in question don't get to experience life, and the whole point of life is to live it.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5124 on: February 19, 2016, 12:22:31 am »

I suppose. Still, my main point was that the whole "babies go to heaven" thing is perhaps not the greatest principle to use - though I'd accept that babies killed by God probably get a free pass or somesuch. I guess not having that idea leaves the answer of what happens when an infant dies open once more. If God can see the future then I suppose they'd just go to wherever they would have gone should they have lived their life without my infanticidal interference, but then seeing the future kind of requires that our universe be deterministic, meaning that everyone's lives were preset from the beginning so why bother with life at all? Just toss everyone in the appropriate plane and wash your hands of it.

EDIT: Wouldn't that mean I should just murder -Christian- babies then? Leave the rest to grow up so they can convert.
If you kill all the christian babies, who's gonna convert them? And yada yada murder etc.

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #5125 on: February 19, 2016, 12:24:10 am »

I guess I'm used to hearing the school of thought that life is essentially a test of one's soul, to determine whether one belongs in Heaven or Hell. Which is perfectly fine if you believe in free will, but if one believes in determinism then it seems to render the whole thing pointless, by my view.

I should mention that I'm not trying to somehow be obstinate or flippant, by the way, so sincere apologies if that is indeed the impression I'm giving.

Fake edit: If the pact's with the believers and their children, and you accept the implication that this means the children also get a shot at Heaven, no one has to come around and convert them.
GM of Trespassers V2.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5126 on: February 19, 2016, 12:26:46 am »

That wasn't meant to be a serious answer. It is evil to murder innocents.

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #5127 on: February 19, 2016, 12:32:11 am »

My point was that a particular view calls that idea into deep question, since murdering said innocents would be doing them a favor.
GM of Trespassers V2.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #5128 on: February 19, 2016, 01:17:40 am »

My point was that a particular view calls that idea into deep question, since murdering said innocents would be doing them a favor.
It's only a favour if we're 100% dead certain they're destined for heaven (which we're not), and even then you're still killing the kid, which is something they probably wouldn't appreciate.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #5129 on: February 19, 2016, 01:24:20 am »

Still doesn't answer the blind nuclear technician problem, though.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.
Pages: 1 ... 340 341 [342] 343 344 ... 521