I am religious and do not believe in free will
- 10 (3.9%)
I am not religious and believe in free will
- 113 (44.5%)
I am not religious and do not believe in free will
- 61 (24%)

Total Members Voted: 249

Pages: 1 ... 369 370 [371] 372 373 ... 521

Author Topic: Railgun and Spirituality Discussion  (Read 578208 times)

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
Re: Religion and Spirituality Discussion: Conversion by Kirpan
« Reply #5550 on: April 25, 2016, 04:26:44 pm »

Alright, well, one thing that occurred to me is that we atheists have no holy book. Seeing as we clearly need one, (Because shut up, that's why), I thought of a way we could make one in proper atheistic fashion. We write it on github. That way, anyone can flag an error, and/or fork the project and/or make their own revisions and/or submit patches, etc, etc, etc.

Sound like a cool idea?

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5551 on: April 25, 2016, 04:27:29 pm »

No

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #5552 on: April 25, 2016, 04:31:33 pm »

No

My genius is clearly not appreciated here.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 04:33:17 pm by Angle »

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5553 on: April 25, 2016, 04:32:49 pm »

I agree with LW there, actually, atheists don't need the trappings of religion. Heck, we put ourselves neatly into cults without needing to make the attempt.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #5554 on: April 25, 2016, 04:34:06 pm »

But then we'd have something else to argue over! Don't you see how important this is?

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #5555 on: April 25, 2016, 04:34:24 pm »

Yea, no.

An "Un-Holy Book" would suggest cohesion and a sharing of ideas between atheists - a form of uniformity. The only thing uniting atheists is that they don't believe in a form of divinity - any book seeking to be for atheists could only contain that one shared ideal. Anything else from morals and ethics to what foods to eat varies from person to person.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5556 on: April 25, 2016, 04:37:38 pm »

Basically, it ends up being that one xkcd about standards, or... actually, wait, RationalWiki vs LessWrong is an already-existing perfect example of why that's a bad idea.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #5557 on: April 25, 2016, 04:53:38 pm »

Basically, it ends up being that one xkcd about standards, or... actually, wait, RationalWiki vs LessWrong is an already-existing perfect example of why that's a bad idea.

No no, that's the point. I want there to be a dozen different competing books.

Indeed, in my version that would be an explicitly stated instruction - to disagree, citicise, and for extra credit write your own version.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 04:58:52 pm by Angle »

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5558 on: April 25, 2016, 04:59:29 pm »

I agree with LW there, actually, atheists don't need the trappings of religion. Heck, we put ourselves neatly into cults without needing to make the attempt.
Tribes ain't inherently bad, you know. Sense of community, belonging, and unity.

Though we most certainly do have Holy Books. It's called a philosophy book/the internet.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #5559 on: April 25, 2016, 05:10:54 pm »

Since ninjas, on the whole "atheist holy book".

Besides, it'd be a pamphlet, really. All you could write is: "there are no gods or higher powers". And discordianism already has a monopoly on holy pamphlets.

Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #5560 on: April 25, 2016, 05:14:33 pm »

An "Un-Holy Book" would suggest cohesion and a sharing of ideas between atheists - a form of uniformity. The only thing uniting atheists is that they don't believe in a form of divinity - any book seeking to be for atheists could only contain that one shared ideal. Anything else from morals and ethics to what foods to eat varies from person to person.

I will point out, while "Uniformity" isn't something I'd use to describe us, we DO hang out together and share ideas, and while there isn't anything we completely agree on except Atheism (And even that is very arguable) you are much likelier to find that you have things in common with other atheists than with theists. And again, the point is to help us formulate what we believe so that we can disagree on it, and thereby stimulate discussion and new ideas.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5561 on: April 25, 2016, 05:18:57 pm »

"What we believe"

I think you may be missing something :P

The main premise with a religious text is that it is truth. No atheist will believe their text is absolute truth. What you are speaking of already exists in the form of scientific journals and the like - the study of what is known, rather than the study of what is believed.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #5562 on: April 25, 2016, 05:26:34 pm »

"What we believe"

I think you may be missing something :P

The main premise with a religious text is that it is truth. No atheist will believe their text is absolute truth. What you are speaking of already exists in the form of scientific journals and the like - the study of what is known, rather than the study of what is believed.

Yeah, that's why we put it on github and edit it frequently. And have dissenting opinions and texts, etc.

And yeah, scientific journals are very useful, but they're not very accessible. The point here is to compile a list of current beliefs into an easily accessible format where we can argue over them, change them, make competing versions, etc, etc. I think you're getting too tied up over what a "Holy book" is, such that you're missing what it could be.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5563 on: April 25, 2016, 05:34:39 pm »

The point here is to compile a list of current beliefs

Your target audience won't be very receptive. What you want is a Holy Book, not an atheistic alternative. Holy Books have many different volumes, edited and revised, split off from the main, and so on. Basically what you want this hypothetical text to do. And it is all based on belief, in the knowledge that your particular brand is the one which will beat the rival brands.

The closest an atheist could get to that is Wikipedia. And that already exists.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #5564 on: April 25, 2016, 05:45:28 pm »

The point here is to compile a list of current beliefs

Your target audience won't be very receptive. What you want is a Holy Book, not an atheistic alternative. Holy Books have many different volumes, edited and revised, split off from the main, and so on. Basically what you want this hypothetical text to do. And it is all based on belief, in the knowledge that your particular brand is the one which will beat the rival brands.

The closest an atheist could get to that is Wikipedia. And that already exists.

But actual holy books aren't very good at it. They don't have issues or discussion pages, and you can't split off your own version with the click of a mouse. And wikis are way too messy. And also pretty hard to split off into competing versions. Also holy books don't contain proper atheistic values, and are updated at a positively glacial pace.

Pages: 1 ... 369 370 [371] 372 373 ... 521