I am religious and do not believe in free will
- 10 (3.9%)
I am not religious and believe in free will
- 113 (44.5%)
I am not religious and do not believe in free will
- 61 (24%)

Total Members Voted: 249

Pages: 1 ... 446 447 [448] 449 450 ... 521

Author Topic: Railgun and Spirituality Discussion  (Read 578201 times)

HmH

• Bay Watcher
  • Cage Trap Personified
    • View Profile
Re: Railgun and Spirituality Discussion
« Reply #6705 on: April 15, 2020, 10:45:49 pm »

Which makes it even stranger that anyone would deny the self-evident holy reality of Magnetic Jesus.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #6706 on: April 16, 2020, 03:48:49 am »

https://metro.co.uk/2020/04/14/bishop-defied-coronavirus-mass-gathering-warnings-killed-covid-19-12555681/
A Bishop who called upon his congregation to gather while saying "God is greater than the coronavirus", has now died of the coronavirus.

What lesson do you think God is trying to teach us with this?

thompson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6707 on: April 16, 2020, 06:03:33 am »

https://metro.co.uk/2020/04/14/bishop-defied-coronavirus-mass-gathering-warnings-killed-covid-19-12555681/
A Bishop who called upon his congregation to gather while saying "God is greater than the coronavirus", has now died of the coronavirus.

That he has a fairly grim sense of humour?

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6708 on: April 16, 2020, 06:48:47 am »

While I believe God is indeed "bigger" than any virus, I also believe that we live in a fallen/corrupted world, where there is suffering and pain.  If you're a "Bible person" there are many many places in the Bible that talk about how both good and bad fortunes fall on both the "righteous and unrighteous" - your circumstance, cause of death, etc. doesn't have anything to do with "how well you follow the religion.*"

The lessons I take from this are all pretty basic:  be a good steward, which includes being sensibly hygienic.  Care for your neighbor, which means not encouraging your neighbors to do foolish things.  Don't have any idols, including your own sense of self-righteousness.

*Which, incidentally, is why the Christian gospel is "good news" - there's no hoops to jump through. Just simple faith.  (The argument that "faith" is a hoop to jump through is a specious one.)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I wear many masks, none of them have names.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6709 on: April 16, 2020, 05:56:08 pm »

"Respect nature, because it will absolutely kill you."
This unit is known to the state of california to occasionally misuse technical language.

HmH

• Bay Watcher
  • Cage Trap Personified
    • View Profile
« Reply #6710 on: April 17, 2020, 05:31:55 am »

"Don't expect your faith to make you the center of the universe. Just because you blackmail me with implications that letting you die will prove my nonexistence doesn't mean your blackmail will work."
« Last Edit: April 17, 2020, 05:40:59 am by HmH »

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6711 on: April 17, 2020, 07:55:40 am »

"Respect nature, because it will absolutely kill you."

What does god need with a starship?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #6712 on: April 17, 2020, 08:06:34 am »

Better question: If you could have a starship, without significant personal downsides, why not have a starship? Most people that have sailing boats or other sorts of water based small craft need them for precisely sod all.

It's one of the more disappointing things with reality and most of human religions' boring ass creator deities, really. There's plenty of neat shit in the world but if I were a creator deity I'd be putting some priority on having cats vomit rainbows instead of hairballs, y'know? Stuff could be a lot more interesting with little to no increase in danger, but for whatever reason most believers seem pretty comfortable with their gods having seriously dropped the ball on that front.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6713 on: April 17, 2020, 10:06:42 am »

Better question: If you could have a starship, without significant personal downsides, why not have a starship? Most people that have sailing boats or other sorts of water based small craft need them for precisely sod all.

It's one of the more disappointing things with reality and most of human religions' boring ass creator deities, really. There's plenty of neat shit in the world but if I were a creator deity I'd be putting some priority on having cats vomit rainbows instead of hairballs, y'know? Stuff could be a lot more interesting with little to no increase in danger, but for whatever reason most believers seem pretty comfortable with their gods having seriously dropped the ball on that front.
Have you seen a platypus?  Slime molds?  Black holes?  Quantum mechanics? The universe is full of pretty amazing, weird stuff.

Also my take is that God purposely didn't create everything, so we would have the opportunity to imagine and create too.  Yeah yeah we are limited, because we can't make rainbow-vomiting cats.  We can (and have) made rainbow-colored cats though...

HmH

• Bay Watcher
  • Cage Trap Personified
    • View Profile
« Reply #6714 on: April 17, 2020, 10:10:14 am »

If cats vomited rainbows instead of hairballs, and - allow me to extend your logic - if their piss smelled like roses, there would be no ugly downsides to balance their natural cuteness.

It will break the balance of dog/cat-lovers, and leave the balance skewed,
And will let the cats breed and adopt the humans!
And the cats shall outnumber the humans.

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #6715 on: April 17, 2020, 10:12:53 am »

The argument that "faith" is a hoop to jump through is a specious one.

Why?

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6716 on: April 17, 2020, 10:38:03 am »

Why?

Because it is essentially arguing that faith is works; it's re-defining words to be argumentative.  "Belief" is not a "work."

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #6717 on: April 17, 2020, 10:43:25 am »

Why?

Because it is essentially arguing that faith is works; it's re-defining words to be argumentative.  "Belief" is not a "work."

True, it's not a choice (which is one of the main problem's with Pascal's Wager). However, it could still be considered a "hoop to jump through" in the sense of an obstacle (except under universalism.)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6718 on: April 17, 2020, 11:05:03 am »

While I believe God is indeed "bigger" than any virus, I also believe that we live in a fallen/corrupted world, where there is suffering and pain.  If you're a "Bible person" there are many many places in the Bible that talk about how both good and bad fortunes fall on both the "righteous and unrighteous" - your circumstance, cause of death, etc. doesn't have anything to do with "how well you follow the religion.*"

The lessons I take from this are all pretty basic:  be a good steward, which includes being sensibly hygienic.  Care for your neighbor, which means not encouraging your neighbors to do foolish things.  Don't have any idols, including your own sense of self-righteousness.
It looks (from the outside) like you took some good lessons from the virus, then tried to connect them to doctrine.  There are plenty of lessons about hygiene in the Bible which are a closer fit than the call for stewardship...  They're largely about ritual uncleanness though and seem a bit primitive (and sexist) in a modern context.  Humility is also a (concerningly) strong Biblical theme without involving idolatry.

"Love thy neighbor" is hard to argue with, though.  The original meaning of it applying to one's tribe is dicier, but post-translation it's a good rule.

*Which, incidentally, is why the Christian gospel is "good news" - there's no hoops to jump through. Just simple faith.  (The argument that "faith" is a hoop to jump through is a specious one.)
I still fail to understand what this means.  How am I expected to have faith in something I don't believe?  How can I believe something without being convinced with evidence, which would be "testing God" and removing the need for faith?

There are ideas I have faith in that I can't argue for, but they're social values that seem to come from my parents or common human nature.  I tried to find belief in Jesus in those basic feelings, but it's not there.  I'm not an ex-Christian, but I've wanted to be Christian pretty badly.

So I don't know what my path to simple faith is even supposed to be.  Meditating/prayer with an open heart until the truth is privately revealed to me?  I've tried that many times, and gotten a *lot* of potential conflicting "truths", which doesn't help me.  It appears that many very intelligent people choose a truth in that manner, but they don't choose the same thing.

I've also read the Bible (which isn't simple, particularly if I need to truly understand it).  It didn't convince me of the goodness or existence of God, I'll leave it at that.  I can imagine somehow becoming a Christian someday, but not defending the Bible as true or good.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6719 on: April 17, 2020, 11:34:34 am »

I think trying to find a "path" to faith is problematic. My basis for this thought is all the stuff about "having faith like children".  We adults tend to overthink everything...
Pages: 1 ... 446 447 [448] 449 450 ... 521