Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: best practices for retiring/unretiring forts?  (Read 991 times)

n_ll

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
best practices for retiring/unretiring forts?
« on: May 06, 2018, 09:10:19 am »

ive been playing the same world for a while now. started on 44.02, currently running 44.09 (linux lnp, thanks enay). i have/had a fort i put 30+ years into making a new mountain home. retired it once ~15 years ago, in order to fix some buggy behavior, and it has been running smoothly since. but everything i wanted to do there is basically done. so i retired it with the intention on starting an adventurer from that locale.

i now get a seg fault crash every time i try to load that region. the world is still fine. i can create a fort or adventurer anywhere else in the world, but if i try to spawn them there, or unretire my fort, insta-crash..

is this an issue with older forts, or is there something i can do to keep this from happening again? i did a save-scrub to right before i retired, and everything in the fort seems to be running smoothly. no raids, no seiges, and currently no visitors, so im not sure what could be causing the fault.. suggestions? (sorry if i posted this wrong)

Insert_Gnome_Here

• Bay Watcher
  • Dosen't really care about anything anymore.
    • View Profile
Re: best practices for retiring/unretiring forts?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2018, 10:13:55 am »

Have you tried spawning an adventurer somewhere else and walking in? 
If that doesn't work, its probably just hopelessly bugged. That many updates in a single world probably does some kind of subtle bad things to the state of the program.
Quote from: Max™ on December 06, 2015, 04:09:21 am
Also, if you ever figure out why poets/bards/dancers just randomly start butchering people/getting butchered, please don't fix it, I love never knowing when a dance party will turn into a slaughter.

n_ll

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2018, 10:25:51 am »

q1: not yet, but that is def my next try, but even if that works, i still wouldnt be able to have them be a member of that fort without being able to retire/unretire the adv at said location

q2: thats awful, if true of old saves. i didnt updated that much... 02->05->09 and i thought that nothing in 44 was supposed to be save breaking.. if i cant import older saves, then whats the point of updating? whats the point of investing into a single world at all? sigh. im really trying to create a more epic world and environment but if every update means i have to start from scratch, then thats not exactly feasible :/

n_ll

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2018, 10:29:07 am »

also, i feel like the issue isnt from updating, because the fort ran well for several years in both 05 and 09 long before i decided to retire it. but having said that, im going to reinstall 05 to see if it still segfaults after retiring

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2018, 01:06:51 am »

There's a long-standing issue that was fixed in 44.10. See if that helps.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?