Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 189

Author Topic: Migrursut: What Comes After The World Ends? [Epilogue] (A Community Fort)  (Read 376480 times)

Heavy Flak

• Bay Watcher
  • Olsmo Lives
    • View Profile
Re: Migrursut: Of Glass and Steel (A Community Fort)
« Reply #705 on: July 18, 2008, 11:40:31 am »

Hehe, I was actually starting to worry when I couldn't find the damned things.  I was convinced spectral camels would start offing my dwarves without me being able to stop them.  Among those most affected we Jools and Makrond, who stood in the same spot for a couple game-weeks screaming, "JOB CANCELED!  CAAAAMEEEELSSSS!"

Wouldn't you know it, though, as soon as I posted that and Toady asked for a save, the invisible camels just disappeared?  I'm hoping they show back up just so I can give him a save with the cancellation about to happen. 

Heavy Flak

• Bay Watcher
  • Olsmo Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #706 on: July 18, 2008, 05:57:08 pm »

The events of Mid-Sandstone, 1064

The rest of the merchants bedded down for the night, and the guards pushed out to their stations, Johnny sat with Rosycats and Guildstern, passing around a jug of wine.  As the dwarf leaned over to hand the rope-wrapped jug over, Rosycats smiled and asked, "We're nearing the middle of Kemsagil.  It'll only be a few more months before we reach Stramgil."

"Indeed, so true," Guildstern added, smiling.  "And lest we forget,"
"You did promise us more of your story."
"Did I, aye?  Well... if'n that's the case... When we last spoke, me Da was splittin' from a town a' fisherfolk, his companions dead..."

The events of late-sandstone, 1020

Stravitch and Gerald had been on the road for nearly a two weeks now, and they were dirty and dehydrated.  Originally they had thought to travel up the river, but Gerald mentioned that any that might be on their tail would follow the river as well.  Instead, they pushed into the forest, living off rainwater, and grubs, and the occasional squirrel Gerald could stab with a spear.

Fuming, Stravitch kicked over a rotten stump, sending up a spray of wood and termites.  "This is absurd," he raged, "It's been weeks, and we haven't even seen the ground begin to slope.  Are we even heading in the right direction, or just walking to our graves?"

Gerald squinted and looked to the sky, leaning on his spear. "Aye, we're headin' right, just be patient... we're not followin' river o' road.  I s'pect will be there within a week."
"You've been saying that for weeks," sulked the Captain.

They set out once more, but within the hour they stopped.  There was rustling in the brush, and the low growl of one of the many wolves that roamed the forests.  In the distance, the howls of more could be heard.  Stravitch motioned to keep walking, and they did - keeping their pace slow and steady to not bely the nervousness, though Gerald was careful to keep glancing over his shoulder at the growling and howls.

Just as dusk began to fall, one of the wolves pounced - others rushing in from the north.  Gerald let out a cry of surprise and jumped back, narrowly avoiding the snapping jaws of one.  It was promptly stabbed in the side, the steel tip punching clean through meat and ribs to protrude dripping from the other side. 

Stravitch fared less well.  Bulky in his heavy armor, he was surrounded and passed on.  Though his great maul shattered legs and heads, one wolf plowed into him, teeth sinking into the meat at his unprotected elbow.  It snarled and shook it's head while he tried to kick it away, and it wasn't until Gerald stabbed it in the throat that the wolf dropped, taking a chunk of dwarf meat with it. 

They stood around the corpses panting.  Stravitch crushed a few of their heads with his hammer, kicking a third corpse, while Gerald quickly disembowled two of them and tied them to some downed branches with cloth ripped from the bottom of his shirt.  "Quick now, we need t'move.  Grab th'other end an' get'em off th'groun'.  We'll eat when it's too dark t' keep walkin'."

It took less than a week to reach their destination, and for that Gerald was thankful.  The packs of wolves had grown restless in the woods and even firelight wasn't keeping them away like it used to.  Leaving the wood finally, they had seen the mountain rising in the distance, the tall spire of the Nish Neth architects jutting high to pierce the sky. 

As they trudged down the steps of the spire, the rank stench of death assailed them.  Reaching the bottom, they saw the source: An elf corpse on the floor.  It's stomach had been slit open, and it's entrails were drug across the stones.  It had been quarted, and days suffering under crows and the sun left it black and bloated, and neither of the Soldiers could tell if it used to be man or woman. 

"Quite the welcome," Gerald said, covering his mouth and nose with the remnants of his shirt.
"We should send it back the way we came.  If the wolves don't get it, the Elves might learn what happens in their insolence."

"Ahh, Captains Fillwhip and Fountainspring," A voice called from the central ramps down.  The soldiers turned from the corpse to see a Dwarf bedecked in a splendidly ornate steel breastplate, iron armor covering where it was obvious steel couldn't be purchased.  He wore an ax and shield strapped crossed on his back, and his beard was line with silver rings. "It's so good of you to arrive.  I'm Colonel Jonas Ringedletters, and I'm the officer in charge of this place.  We received word by pigeon you'd be arriving, though... we expected it much sooner."

"Aye, well, we jus' want t'get the goods and go," Gerald said, deftly avoiding the swipe Stravitch made at him. "After we get some new supplies, and some rest" he added hastily.

"Can't be done," Jonas said, spreading his arms apologetically.  "With you not showing up, we sent the ballista parts east.  We're making more, but it will be a week or two before they're fully finished."

"Fine by me," Stravitch said, "But... what the hell happened to that squeeky?"
"Oh, that?  Assassin, sent in the night.  She was spotted one of the traveling singers between sets.  Miss Lanni something-or-other.  Came down and reported the sighting to the guards, and the Elf was captured on the spot.  Owe a lot to her, as I 'spect the Duke was her target.  Would have hurt a lot to have him lost."

"Yes," Stravitch said, bordem and annoyance tinging his words. "That's a wonderful story, and much more than I asked.  Now how about a room, hmm?  And some mutton... By Lenod's flaming rage, I'd marry that corpse to get a trencher full of mutton."
« Last Edit: July 18, 2008, 06:46:32 pm by Heavy Flak »

Glacies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #707 on: July 18, 2008, 07:22:53 pm »

Well, I guess it's time to go tell Stravitch that idea I have abuot a tower to Lenod that worshippers can watch the sunrise on. Maybe we could get some pretty moon and sun patterns on the floors.

The problem is getting Ayrn to agree to it. I'm sure Stravitch wuold love getting a temple devoted to his our god, what with his jealousy issues with Kuli.

Heavy Flak

• Bay Watcher
  • Olsmo Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #708 on: July 18, 2008, 09:09:11 pm »

The next day, well rested, well groomed, and well dressed, the pair of soldiers met with Corporal Jonas in the main hall.    He was dressed as elegantly as the day before, and Gerald felt like a private again in his over-polished dented armor, and mishmash of dyed clothing they'd grabbed from the tailors.  Their weapons had been left in the rooms - the fortress guard would see to the protection - and without his spear Gerald felt naked.

"This bloody war has sapped most of our soldiers, and it's only this spire and our traps that keep the human marauders at bay."
"Then is it wise t'send all these ballista parts away?" Gerald asked.  "I mean, perhaps they'd be better served with the civilians operating them t'supplement yer' guard."
"There's no need.  The humans can't climb the spire, and the elves are too far away."
"Aye, except fer' the assassin problems you've had."

The Colonel scowled at Gerald as they rounded a corner.  "One assassin, gentlemen.  One.  And it was taken care of.  We're safe here, and we of Nish Neth don't welch on our sales.  Stukos Matul has purchased ballistas, and bolts, and parts for catapults.  They'll receive them as soon as our woodworkers have completed this second order."

"That's all well and good Jonas-"
"That's Colonel Ringedletters to you, Captain."
"-but, wait."  Stravitch stopped in the hallway, fixing the Colonel with an icy stare. "We're no longer in the military.  We've been sent out to do a merchants work.  To me, you're Jonas."
"Decorum must be followed, for any semblance of order to be maintained," The Colonel shot back. 

Starting to raise his voice, Stravitch closed his eyes instead and took a breath, snarling, "What is that foul screeching?"
"What?  Ohh... well, that's none of our concern.  We should move on, there's much-"
"No, wait a moment.  What is it."

Stravitch walked down to the large double doors, followed closely by Gerald, The Colonel trailing sullenly behind.  Looking through the arches, Stravitch saw a large statue garden, flowers hanging from the ceiling in pots.  A group had assembled around the stage in the back.  On the left stood a thin dwarf, his clothing impeccably clean and expertly tailored, his hair and beard blond and patchy. 

To the right, was the most curious of girls either of the soldiers had seen, dressed in mottled reds and greens and purples.  She looked Elvish in the face, but her body was shorter and broader, and though she sported no beard the thick eyebrows and hair betrayed noble Dwarven heritage.

From the left, the blond man spoke: "These hardships are not a certainty!  The pains of fraternal death not a given!  The loss of coin in military funds not nessecary.  What are the elves, but noble savages, simple and misunderstood folk living off the forests themselves.
"They are not an enemy!  They are an asset!   They are a prosperity for any who wishes to trade, they are ancient secrets and mystical medicines.  Who threw the first stone?  Was it the fey children of the trees? 
"Nay.  It was your bearded brethren in the eastern mountains who slaughtered guest and guard.  From their act of hostility, we all pay.  Remember the herbs picked from their holy fortresses?  Of course you do, it cured the Black Rot that claimed so many.  Were that plague to arrive once again, we'd be unprepared to combat it.  We should be fighting these sicknesses, not these gentle people."

From the right, the small girl was all grace as she bowed, and twirled, and gestured with her hands:
"Hear the foul words from Ai Lifelaafedo.  The Blood Traitor speaks with his silvered tongue to cloud the mind, in the hopes that ye 'simple folk' will buy the shit he sells.  But listen true, I pray.  Only half Dwarvish, this girl is, but that half has more pride than his body as a whole. 
"the Elves offer nothing but death, we should give nothing but vengeance.  They're savages, yes, and what worth are they, then?  Do they not pay homage to Dwarven might?  No, they do not!  Intelligent you are, and me a simple bard, but it makes this girl froth with fury at the thought of Dwarven Ingenuity and Might bowing before simple, savage, treefuckers."

Stravitch barked a laugh, while Gerald could only shake his head in bewilderment.  "She's good... she's real good.  Complainin' o' the silver tongue on that wry bastard, all the while playin' up the crowd.  He never stood a chance."

Corporal Ringedletters smiled, crossing his arms across the family sigil on his breastplate. "Aye, that's Lanni, the little girl that found our assassin.  She's only here until the money runs out, but she pulls in good fairs at the tavern and an elf hater is always a welcome sight on Speech Row."
"Who's the weasly man she trounced?" asked Stravitch.
"An unimportant rabble-rouser from far north of here.  He's been trying to drum up support to take a wagon of supplies east to trade with the elves.  He swears that trade and diplomacy will end this war faster than steel, but very few have taken to his call - especially after The Duke mandated that any that travel with him will be killed on sight of the fortress spire..  The locals gave him that name in Elvish to mock him, since he seems to love them more than his own kin.
"But that's  not important.  We have a meeting to attend.  Come along now, he has little patience and we've dallied enough with these fools and their words."
« Last Edit: July 19, 2008, 11:13:57 pm by Heavy Flak »

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #709 on: July 18, 2008, 09:55:41 pm »

Sweet, hes just as i imagined him! Nice work HF!

Story is going great so far, i wonder what will happen next?

Heavy Flak

• Bay Watcher
  • Olsmo Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #710 on: July 19, 2008, 10:52:32 am »

Leaving the statue garden, Colonel Ringedletters began to take the pair down the hallway.  In less than ten steps, Stravitch spoke up.  "Ya' know what?  I actually... don't care to talk to this joker.  I'm going to get a stiff drink."
"Captain Fillwhip, need I remind you-"
"Need I remind you, we're no longer in the military, we're doing traders work.  And as a bonafide trader, if you give me another order, I'll break your jaw."

Gerald shook his head as his friend took his leave.  He gave a shrug when the Colonel glared at him, saying lamely, "Let's head on... it'll be better wi'out him there t' piss our man off."

They made their way down the windy hallway until they came to a large iron door.  The sound of saws could be heard inside, and hammers striking chisels.  Stepping inside, Gerald winced at the noises.  Dwarves were cutting huge trees into fourths, carving away to make the long shafts for ballista bolts.  A second workshop was visible through the back, potions lining the walls, wires and chains dangling from the ceiling.

"Ah, there he is!  Âs Zosbagutes, sorry for the delay."
"You best be, Dear Stunt, my time is valuable."

Eyes widened as Gerald saw the tall, lanky frame of the goblin appear from around a table piled high with logs.  Behind him trailed an old man, his hair thinning, his beard long and gray.  Behind them, what looked at first to be a dog padded behind, though with horror realized it sported three heads - the two on the sides attached with thread and staple, and seemed to be in a state of rot. 

"Âs Zosbagutes, this is Captain Fountainspring.  He'll be traveling down with the parts and ammo."
"Ah, splended!" The goblin said.  He extended a three-fingered hand, ragged stumps in place where the pinky and ring should have been. "Formalities are not needed, call me Jack."

"A'right, Jack... well, we hope t'leave soon an' get this done."  Gerald eyed the old man, averting his gaze from the dog staring at him with three sets of eyes. "We don't need anyone slowing us down.  Th'raiders 'long th'roads will be 'ard enough to deal with fer' soldier an' guard.  Bringin' the..."
"I'm a scholar, Captain Fountainspring," the old man said testily.  "And my place is here, in my lab, with my books and studies."

"Well then," Gerald said, relived.  "I s'pose we jus' need t'talk of travel, and..." With a sigh, he covered his eyes for a moment, asking in a rush, "Scholar...?"
"Scholar Gorgeinsights."
"Aye, Scholar Gorgeinsights, what th' hell is the beast a'side ya'?"
"My pet," He said proudly.  "Jack here brings the most wonderful of salve with him from the goblin lands.  We trade much for it - I hope you can see the use of it's application."
"Aye... that I can," Gerald said, a little queasy.  "But it jus' seems t'me, that... what was that noise?"

Stravitch tromped into the tavern, taking a seat at a small table near the rear.  A waitress was flagged down, and drinks began to appear in short order, allowing him to sit in silence, brooding and imbibing. 

Lost in thought, he was a little surprised when the seat in front of him was taken by a grinning girl.  Quickly recovering from the shock, he gave her the once over and said, "You're the snarky lass that trounced that patchy bastard aren't you?"

"That, this girl is.  And you - you're the esteemed Captain Fillwhip.  Scourge of treefolks far and wide, yes?" She said, grinning.
"...Yes, and, how do you know that?"  He said, eyes narrowing in suspicion. 
"How?  How couldn't this girl know?  Letters arrive by whitest wing, and those times' spent in this tavern have begged of song to celebrate a dwarf's achievements in battle."

Stravitch sat up a little straighter, grinning wide.  "Is that so?"
"Aye.  This girl makes quite a bit o' coin, singing tales of heroes."
"You know?  I knew I'd like you when I saw you.  Knew it from the courtyard - you've got a belly full of truth and spunk, and for that, I think I'll let slide the fact you're a beardless half-savage."

"Ohh, the generosity the Captain extends this girl is much too kind.  This shall warrant another song tonight, that of the fierce captain showing mercy to those beneath Dwarven Might," She said politely.  Stravitch blinked, and suddenly roared with laughter.  The girl laughed as well.

"An' what's your name, lass?" He said as the laughter subsided.
"They call this girl Lanni Underriver,"
"Well, Lanni, perhaps tonight a couple coins can grease your palm, enough to hear some of these tales of the Fine, Heroic Captain."
"Oh, that would be splendid.  I think, that- did you hear that?"

In the distance, bells could be heard ringing faintly.  Stravitch narrowed his eyes. "If I didn't know better, that sounds like the..."

"TO ARM!  TO ARM!  ELVES IN THE SPIRE!  HUMANS IN THE SPIRE!  TO ARM!  TO ARM!"
« Last Edit: July 21, 2008, 07:34:35 am by Heavy Flak »

Pixelfish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #711 on: July 19, 2008, 04:19:46 pm »

An anti-rabble rouser whom stirs up racial seggregation propoganda, that is perfect.

Heavy Flak

• Bay Watcher
  • Olsmo Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #712 on: July 20, 2008, 11:12:23 am »

Gerald straightened at the sound of the warning bells, and insinctively reached for his spear - which wasn't there.  His look of shock must have been plain on his face because Colonel Ringedletters pushed him brusquely aside with a curt, "Wait here, we'll take care of this problem."

As he left the worshop and slammed the door behind him, Gerald turned to Jack.  The Goblin stared at him, sharp teeth showing with his little grin.

"What'er you so happy about?"
"These times are always the most fun," The goblin said.  "Come along, we should probably leave."
"Leave!  Where'd we be goin'?  There's only the spire, an hostiles are runnin' amok through it."
"Please..." The goblin shook his head and turned, walking down the isles.  He spoke softly to the dwarves, who began packing up their tools and grabbing the work they completed, rushing out the door. "There's a merchants entrance, it's a tunnel - with a drawbridge over a chasm.  We're leaving out there."
"An' leavin' the folk in this fort to suffer attack?" Gerald asked, horrified.
"Aye.  What do you care of their lives?  You know none of them.  This is a means to an end - I just want their gold.  Now come!  I'll get you a sword on our way down.  Do we need to find your friend?"
"No, he'll find us, I'm afraid."

Stravitch and Lanni burst from the tavern, nearly getting trampled as the civilians went charging past them.  The little girl was shielded with Stravitch's frame, and as the flow of bodies subsided he could hear the sounds of battle coming down the hallway.  Soon, a human rounded the corner dressed in studded leather and carrying a mace - more filing in behind him. 

"Where's the way out?" Stravitch asked.
"Past them," Lanni replied.
"Of course.  Wait here."

Charging forward, The Captain met the humans with a deafening crash.  He took a hard hit on the shoulder from the mace and cried out with pain.  Thrashing about, he managed to get behind the human and knock his legs out, wrapping his left arm around the marauders throat.  Fighting for the mace, he won, and used it to quickly bludgeon the man's head to a pulp. 

He threw the body at the man's comrades, one of them disappearing underneath it, screaming.  He was battered on all sides with maces and hammers, but in his rage he shrugged off the majority of blows, lashing out with the heavy mace.  He broke knees and shoulders, and when men would drop he'd finish them quickly by smashing their faces across the stones. 

Eventually he stood alone, soaked in blood and vomit, the corpses of ten scattered around him.  He tried to walk back to Lanni, but the slickness of the smoothed stone almost made him fall and he cursed aloud.  "C'mon, Girl.  Show me the way out."
"Oh yes, this girl knows a good way out, the way of traders and traitors."

They ran down the winding hallways, and Stravitch was soon lost.  Lanni would shout back encouragements, and after a few minutes they reached the stairwell, running down multiple levels.  Reaching the bottom, Stravitch was dismayed to see that the Elves had reached this far already.  Colonel Ringedletters was bleeding from multiple wounds, his axe crashing into simple wooden shields, sending out sprays of splinted and dust. 

"Captain Fillwhip!  Assistance!" 
"I... don't think so," Stravitch shouted back, as he and Lanni charged past him.  He was sent reeling as an iron bracelet struck him in the back of the head, the sounds of battle fading as they charged down a hallway. 

"Up ahead!" The bard shouted, "Those doors, our destination."
"They're locked," Stravitch observed, "And there are... elves at them."
"Then deal with the savages," She suggested.

A hard blow to the stomach sent the first of the elves flying, his entrails shooting out from his mouth as he slammed against the wall.  His comrade was so horrified by the scene that Stravitch's next hit smashed his head into his body, leaving it an unrecognizable pulp.  A scream made him turn, expecting to see the Bard beaten bloody.

Instead, he saw an elf that had hidden in the shadows on his knees.  His eyes were wide, and he kept trying to speak but blood bubbled out his mouth, his hands up and pleading.  The little girl had wrenched the wooden sword from him at some point, and shoved the tip through his throat.  She continued to push it forward until the hilt was pressed against the wound.  As he began to fade, she leaned forward and placed a small kiss on his forehead, turning to flit towards Stravitch.

"Please break the door down for us?" She asked politely.  "Company will be arriving shortly, and we would like to be as far from them as can be."

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #713 on: July 20, 2008, 05:29:28 pm »

He was sent reeling as an iron bracelet struck him in the back of the head, the sounds of battle fading as they charged down a hallway. 

AH HA HA HA!

Serve him right for leaving him there!

I hope he comes back later...

Makrond

• Bay Watcher
  • Like fuzzy dice, only more slicey
    • View Profile
« Reply #714 on: July 21, 2008, 02:27:14 am »

Oh, yeah, a little bit about my character.

Cirethi Garethoimi (Cirethi Cavechild... I think...)

Was thrown at an ettin as a baby, the ettin was vanquished but his mother ended up as a cripple unable to walk far. He grew up in the cave system living off vermin and stagnant water. His mother died when he was a very young child (of 20). He's a tough bastard and would eat the vomit off his shoes, if only he could scrape it off (figuratively speaking, he doesn't actually have vomit on his shoes). He taught himself how to make weapons and armour out of wood, and learned how to hunt. He's now a wandering and very talented forester, as well as deadly with a bow.

He knows nothing of the current war between elves and dwarves, and thinks dwarves are quite novel. He doesn't associate with other elves very often, and actually prefers the company of humans. He's recently taken up residence outside a human settlement and now sells meat (to the food shop) and maps of the surrounding area.
Quote from: Jusal
Darwinism? Bah! This is Dwarvinism!

Kuli

• Bay Watcher
  • Born-Again Zefonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #715 on: July 21, 2008, 10:23:58 am »

Okay, I finally got access to a scanner, so I've uploaded my drawing.

Now, before you look at it, let me address some issues with the scan quality.  The light of the scanner reflected off the dark pencil parts, making them look much lighter.  In the future I suppose I'll have to use ink instead.  Secondly, I thought a bit of spot color would be neat, but that's not supposed to be purple!  It's supposed to be dark red, the color associated with children in DF.  These issues could have been addressed with Photoshop, but I don't have it on this computer.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
"The power of Zefon compels you!"

Heavy Flak

• Bay Watcher
  • Olsmo Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #716 on: July 22, 2008, 09:05:21 am »

Kuli:  Very nice work.  I have to say, I love seeing everyone's take on what their dwarves (and other Dwarves) look like, or how they feel about certain situations.  It's really quite refreshing.

In my mind, I'm running a fortress full of child-sized psychopaths who are one cloud of miasma away from literally exploding into a shower of pain and gore, and it's always interesting to get the perspectives of others.  And I can work with the Hatch Cover as the symbol of Zefon.  Oh yes, I can.

Glacies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #717 on: July 22, 2008, 10:35:01 am »

Jack'd love a chance to pick off some elves. Discreetly, of course.

Xofrevlis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt Page
« Reply #718 on: July 22, 2008, 01:17:03 pm »

Okay, I finally got access to a scanner, so I've uploaded my drawing.

Now, before you look at it, let me address some issues with the scan quality.  The light of the scanner reflected off the dark pencil parts, making them look much lighter.  In the future I suppose I'll have to use ink instead.  Secondly, I thought a bit of spot color would be neat, but that's not supposed to be purple!  It's supposed to be dark red, the color associated with children in DF.  These issues could have been addressed with Photoshop, but I don't have it on this computer.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Argh, Firefox crashed and ate my original reply before I could post it.
Looks good though, and I'm flattered that you took some ideas from my version. The short beard looks better I think, and I really like the use of that group symbol.

Heavy Flak

• Bay Watcher
  • Olsmo Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #719 on: July 22, 2008, 08:20:51 pm »

Jack and Gerald fled down the staircase, and through the winding halls.  They passed soldiers on the march, and civilians holing themselves in their workshops and rooms.  Reaching the bottom floor at a dead run, Gerald could barely stop himself at the large door Jack stood in front of.

"This it?" He asked.
"Yes, yes.  Now when we open this, be quiet.  I suspect they'll be inside, skulking until the coast is clear to attack from behind."

Jack was right about the Elves being behind the door, but silence was unneeded.  They were spotted instantly, the five rushing towards the pair.  Jack ducked under a swing and came up fast, driving his elbow into the first Elf's stomach.  As the soldier doubled forward, Jack met him in the middle - the hard crack of skulls sounding as he headbutted him once, twice, the third time dropping the elf like a rag doll.  Kicking the wooden sword up, he tossed it back to Gerald, grinning around a mask of blood. 

Gerald barreled two of the skinny savages over, cursing as he did little more than bludgeon the Elves with the wooden sticks.  It did the job, eventually, leaving the pair a mangled mass of blood and pulp.  Turning, Gerald saw Jack dancing away from the last Elf's spear thrusts.  One was on the ground, it's throat slashed out, and as he watched, Gerald realized the goblin was teasing the soldier.  When he tired of dancing around his thrusts, Jack snapped the spear's haft in half, and lunged forward, impaling him on the sword. 

Kicking the body aside, he squinted into the gloom and pointed.  "Grab a torch for me, please, let's find which wagons can be taken.  You'll need to stay at the door and watch for the invaders - close and lock it on sight."
"An' if there are our haulers out'n the hall?"
"Leave them," Jack said, surprised. "Have you never been at war before?  The most important life is mine, followed by yours since you'll be getting me gold.  All others?  Let fate decide their worth."

Ashian strode through the bloody hallways, her head held high.  Ornately dressed in the armor of nobility, she took a quick survey of the spires floor.  There were more dead than she had hoped for - both of her assault squad that had marched double-pace for the Mountainhome, and for the human brigands they had hired at one of the outlying villages. 

"How many are left," She demanded of one of her honor guard.
"Many, Princess.  They're holding the fortress better than expected with just a skeleton crew."
"The humans have been routed, haven't they?"
"Yes, ma'am."
"Then we'll burn their villages as we march home.  Find those fools Fountainspring and Fillwhip.  Without them, we won't find Coce's prison location."

The soldier shifted nervously.  "Ma'am, there are reports that Coce was killed by Stunt Fillwhip months ago."
"They'd be fools to do that," she said disdainfully, "Now come, one of them must be kept alive."

They marched down the steps, rounding the staircases until they reached the third level.  Coming up from the opposite end of the hallway was Colonel Ringedletters, limping and streaked with blood, his face a terrible mask of anger. 

"Are you the Elven leader?" He shouted.
"I am.  Are you the Garrison Commander?"
"Aye.  I'm also a messenger."
"Yes, yes, of death, your blade sings songs, etcetera," She said in a bored tone.  Reaching out, a spear was placed in her hand from one of her guardsmen, and she stepped forward into the hallway.  "Come and fight.  We have a schedule to keep, so try not to make this too long."

Colonel Ringedletters stalked forward, adjusting his bloody grip on the axe handle.  He stopped just out of range of her spear, and after a moment they began to circle one another.  Occasionally the spear point would flash out to be deflected by the Axe blade.

Seeing an opening, Colonel Ringedletters darted in and swung, but the axe was deflected.  He parried the thrust at him, and the next, grunting in pain as the cedar spear pierced his lower left arm, and getting lodged in place.

"Good thing I'm right handed," he snarled, and slashed out at her.  Unwilling to let go of her spear, she moved enough that the blow didn't disembowel her, just gashed her legs.  Grimacing with pain, Jonas was able to grab the spear's haft and wrench it from her grasp.  The look of surprise stayed on Ashian's face even as her head was split fully in half by his axe.  She dropped to her knees brains and blood running over her chest and back like a tabard, and fell wetly to the floor. 

The Colonel wrenched the spear out of his arm, and threw it through the leg of one of her honor guard, before coughing into his closed hand.  "...I'm also the Messenger of Death, my axe's blade your missive, the payment for this delivery will be your blood."

The door to the Merchants Entrance crashed open, splinters spraying into the entrance way.  From the darkness Gerald's voice called out, "Get movin', yaah!  Here they come!"

"Be careful, Your Grace," Lanni called.  "There's a goblin sneaking up on you."

Stravitch turned away from her, coming face to face with the merchant Jack.  The goblin had his scimitar raised on high, his face still streaked with drying blood.  He glared at the little girl, who waved her fingers at him, before he sheathed the blade.

"You must be Gerald's friend, ya?  You could have knocked."
"You could have kept it unlocked."

The goblin swept his hand at the corpses on the floor.  "See these meatsacks?  We wanted no more to enter."
Stravitch turned and waved a hand towards the door.  "See those meatsacks?  We-"

"Shut UP!" Gerald screamed from the wagon, "If we dunnae get outa' here soon, we'll either be overrun with Elven guards, or the irate owners of the wagons were stealin'!  Hop on, an' lets MOVE!"
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 189