Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 180 181 [182] 183 184 ... 189

Author Topic: Migrursut: What Comes After The World Ends? [Epilogue] (A Community Fort)  (Read 375585 times)

Heavy Flak

• Bay Watcher
  • Olsmo Lives
    • View Profile
Re: Migrursut: Goodness is a Choice (A Community Fort)
« Reply #2715 on: February 11, 2012, 12:44:00 am »

The Events of the 3rd of Felsite, 1077

The dread-camel reared it's head about at the loud shouting in the distance.  Blood dripped from it's muzzle.  Long strands of stringy flesh and sinew dangled and wobbled from it's rictus grin.  Every now and then the beast would rear up on it's hind hooves and the gathering crowd would gasp and shriek, before it stomped downwards, flattening and shredding the corpse underneath it with it's razor sharp front hooves.

Hikan made his way through the crowd - chastising himself for feeling naked.  But the truth was, he did.  Without his face paint, and his armor, without his gear and the cover of darkness, he thought of himself as just another Dwarf, another body among the countless around him.  He grit his teeth, fingers clenching around the flask in his inner pocket.

With Aryn back in power, there were some rules he needed to follow.  Like the newly minted order, from the Duke, and signed off by Aryn, and eventually passed on by the silent, secretive bookkeeper. 

He cleared his throat and pointed with his folding spear at the blood-stained horror prancing in the wastes.

"FRAGMENTBEAK!  THE CAMEL!  YOU... Your... your reign of terror has ended.  You have killed Zas Erushushat, the kitten.  You have killed Iton, our hammerer.  You have killed Stakud the child of some miner, maybe.  And you also killed two mules , I guess..." his eyes squinted shut, teeth baring as he fought himself to continue on, as he fought the headache threatening to split his skull in two.   

"You've been condemned to death, and from your corpse we shall make Bolts for smiting, and trinkets which we will adore until we sell... damn this, who will put this beast down?"

He could feel the eyes on him - the important eyes - the eyes of Szondi, high atop the towers, waiting to see what would come of this stupid farce.  And he could feel those of Makrond, the leather worker decked in his day-disguise, nervous hands fidgeting with the strips of leather they had taken from the boom of kittens as of late.  When the quavering voice of Luke sounded, Hikan exhaled in relief.  If his unlikely kinsmen were forced to come into the open over something as simple as a marauding camel, it was dire straights indeed. 

"I will put it down.  This is my task."
"Good.  Good!  By all means, go, man, go."

Luke lurched down the stone road, drawing his short sword in sharp jerks.  The beast seemed to pay him no mind, it's head thrashign from side to side in sharp jerks, in unsettling quivers and shakes.  It was having a seizure, it's entire body bucking and contorting in pleasure from the pain and death it had caused, hooves rending flesh and splattering blood in a wide arc around it.  Luke raised his sword on high, and brought it down with a fearsome scream.

And a second scream.  And a third, his voice soon trailing into one long, agonizing wail as he brought his sword - first on it's bladed edge, soon onto it's flat, eventually tossed aside as his gauntlets rained down - onto the meaty pulp.  Those who stayed behind would later talk of tears on his cheeks, of his heartrending wails:

"Nine!  Nine mouths to feed!  Nine!  Why can't you take any of them!  Why is it always these others you pick you cruel monsters!  Why is it not any of mine!"
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 06:11:15 pm by Heavy Flak »

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #2716 on: February 12, 2012, 03:26:50 pm »

Poor Luke.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Knick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2717 on: February 13, 2012, 08:51:53 am »

It's like the game itself is partaking of a running gag!
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day.  Light a man on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
The great Dwarfen Philosopher Urist McConfused said it best:  "Light a kitten on fire and it will run screaming into the booze stockpile and catch the whole fort up.  I know, we tested it in twelve different forts and it always happened."

Heavy Flak

• Bay Watcher
  • Olsmo Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #2718 on: February 14, 2012, 11:08:18 pm »

The Events of the 18th of Felsite, 1077

In silence, Jools and his daughter walked the stone path towards the domes.  She shuffled her feet, occasionally kicking loose stones in her path, sending them bouncing and skittering across the olivine and basalt.  His lower lip pulled in tight, Jools did his best to push her - he could sense she wanted to talk to him, had sensed it for days now - but the Maester had taught him patience over the years.  Youthful exuberance had been tempered some, brashness folded and beaten into something stronger.  Kuli's teachings did pay off in the end, as Asod turned her head to look at him, and said:

"I've been very depressed these days, father.  Stakud's death, and even the Hammer's... you know I was friends with him, don't you?"
"I was aware of that," Jools said, hiding the twinge of disgust.  "He always did right by you."
"He did - and, and it upsets me, because they are no longer here.  But it upsets me MORE, because I miss them more than the three siblings I have lost.  I barely wept for them... I should have been effected more, that I should have felt more..."

"Mm.  Guilt.  Guilt is a funny thing - it's consuming, isn't it?  The rising panic that you should feel bad because you didn't react in a way you deem you should... You know, your mother - bless her - insisted we name you Asob.  And I fought it at first - but it's come to really represent you.  Much like a donkey's back, you're sturdy and consistent.  But - and this is important - you always act straight and dependably, just like those beasts that we all feel the utmost respect and love for.  We all feel grief differently.  Don't punish yourself for your actions as a child."

They did not stop walking, but she slid an arm out and clumsily, awkwardly, gave her father a fleeting hug.  Jools smiled, his eyes downcast on the road, his thoughts flitting between memories of his love, of his departed Kib. 

"You know, sometimes I think I see my sister still, moving around this fortress.  This silly cat, Onul, she has her eyes.  It's the strangest thing."
"Now you're just being contrary," Jools said, his melancholy broken.  "Your sister wouldn't come back as a CAT.  I assure you."

Masami forced himself to roll onto his back, even though the pain that shot through him caused him to pass out.  With the sun setting, the temperature dropping, the Elf hoped that just a bit of condensation might drop onto his swollen, dried tongue.

But as the sun lowered over the dunes, as the moon rose high with it's mocking face, not a drop of water came.  Masami shuddered - a motion that sent the sharp shocks up his spine once more - and choked back a sob.  His voice was nearly gone - days of hoarse shouts were ignored.  Though the lights shown from the Poison Temple, not a soul stirred to aid him.  I was the language barrier, he knew, but maybe Deerowls would have heard, or maybe Aryn, or the administrator, or the madam who spoke their tongue - or anyone, just to investigate the noise. 

None came.  And in his anguish, and in his fear, and in his pain, he cried out in a strangled tone. 

"Ah!  Etinoi! Etnoi, lama sabachthani?"

OOC: Jool's "oldest daughter" is still being listed as alive and being a child, even though that's not the case - the third oldest is the first in the line of daughters that is alive and she's grown to be a mason.  If I zoom to that child, it targets a cat.  Much like that raccoon, and Grov, and a variety of other things, this is just one more instance of DF developing sentience. 

Obsidian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2719 on: February 15, 2012, 12:02:29 am »

I suspect that the Dwarf Fortress AI itself has been secretly spiriting away all these kids to form an army of child soldiers that will burst forth from the very seams of the earth (disguised as various tame fortress fauna) and destroy your fort when it's at its weakest.

You should really consider butchering that cat.
Obsidian cancels common sense: Interrupted by insanity
!!carp!!

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #2720 on: February 15, 2012, 12:20:24 am »

Was the cat a pet of the missing daughter? Does it move around at all? Does it stick in one place?

Children that get kidnapped by goblins will be listed as alive on the relationship page, but zooming on them only zooms you onto the place where they were kidnapped.

If it sticks in one place, then the cat was probably a pet and that's where she was kidnapped. If the cat moves around the fortress and it still zooms onto the cat, then, uh... I don't have an explanation for that.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Heavy Flak

• Bay Watcher
  • Olsmo Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #2721 on: February 15, 2012, 10:23:37 am »

I suspect that the Dwarf Fortress AI itself has been secretly spiriting away all these kids to form an army of child soldiers that will burst forth from the very seams of the earth (disguised as various tame fortress fauna) and destroy your fort when it's at its weakest.

We have this really chill fox wandering around now, too.  I'm not sure where he came from - maybe the Elven traders? - but he's just kind of walking around the fort, looking at things.  I can't set him to be bought, and he can't be trained or tamed.  He just likes hanging out by the waterfall.  I think you might be on to something here.

If it sticks in one place, then the cat was probably a pet and that's where she was kidnapped. If the cat moves around the fortress and it still zooms onto the cat, then, uh... I don't have an explanation for that.

I didn't know that about kidnappings!  We haven't had one in a long time, but that doesn't mean she wasn't snatched at one point or another - she was the oldest, after all, and the other daughter's had enough time to grow up fully.  I'll take a look at this when I get home and see if it's paranoia or game-world-reality fracturing.

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #2722 on: February 15, 2012, 02:11:21 pm »

Can't you view her mood from the relationships screen? If she hasn't done anything but is still ecstatic, it's a good indication that she's been kidnapped.

Heavy Flak

• Bay Watcher
  • Olsmo Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #2723 on: February 15, 2012, 03:53:38 pm »

Can't you view her mood from the relationships screen? If she hasn't done anything but is still ecstatic, it's a good indication that she's been kidnapped.

If I've learned anything from both kidnapping and relationships, it's that ladies don't stay ecstatic for very long. 

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #2724 on: February 15, 2012, 03:55:49 pm »

If I've learned anything from both kidnapping and relationships, it's that ladies don't stay ecstatic for very long.

Well, there's your problem. You haven't been kidnapping Dwarves!
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Heavy Flak

• Bay Watcher
  • Olsmo Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #2725 on: February 18, 2012, 11:44:09 pm »

The Events of the 3rd of Hematite, 1077

"You have got to be KIDDING me!" Hikan roared.  As he rose his knees hit the table, scattering plates of blackened fried eggs and fried slices of cat scrapple.  A pitcher of water tipped and tumbled, the thick cut green glass bouncing on the floor and rolling underneath the bed.  "Another herd of them?  We just put a dozen of the beasts down!"

Makrond took a step backwards towards the door frame, his mouth pulled down into a tight scowl.  "You know we-... can't control the beasts-... out here.  They come and-... torment as they please.  But we have to stop Boardbastions."

"Boardbastions" Hikan sneered.  "It sounds like the name you'd give to a Summereves' band.  What did it do, kill another cat?  Did it upend the Duke's tea set?"
"Yes!" Makrond snapped, the air forced out harshly from his one working lung.  "About the-... cats, I mean.  And a mason, and a wardog.  Look, stop your complaining.  We have to-... protect this fortress.  Szondi's considered going-... rogue.  Help show him it's-... under control.  Keep him in line."

Drawing his cap down low, Hikan shouldered his greatcoat on the move, brushing past Makrond.  "Just keep up, Cripple!"  A pang of guilt hit him at the callous words towards his long time companion.  No apology came forth, but he hoped the slump of shoulders, the averted gaze, would be enough to convey these brief blips of regret.  These thoughts were shaken from his mind as he stepped out the door, and collided into a tangle of limbs with Merkil.

"Get off me!" Merkil bellowed, attempting to disintangle his armor from the wads of leather greatcoat wrapped about him.
"Fool!" Hikan barked back.  "What the hell are you doing?  Get outa' here, I'm on my way to put down a cur."

Hikan was roughly hauled up to his feet by a glaring Maggarg, his coat ripping slightly at the hem.  "Have a little respect, lapdog.  Why not go heel beside our great ruler?" He paused at a whisper from Adol, but brushed off his friend by shoving Hikan backwards.  The Guardsman stumbled and caught himself, his spear extending with a sickeningly hollow clack.

"Alright, you fools, I don't have time to deal with your theatrics.  Back off, or you'll be riding a sick ward cot for a full season."

Makrond was at his side now, fingers grasping around the long-bladed sheers he kept at his belt.  He felt relieved that, even after acting the ass, his friend - one of his only true friends in this forsaken pit - had his back.   He gestured with his head to Likot, his eyes narrowing as the leather-clad horror adjusted her modified crossbow. 

"Be careful of her... if this blows up, keep one of them between you until-"

But he was unable to finish.  Wilber's voice rang out loud and clear, reverberating off the walls.  It came from no where - from everywhere - and only a keen eye caught the glimpse of his horned helm from within the crawl spaces where the bathworks ran. 

"I can feel their dance ending.  They're being loved until they explode.  It's almo- yes.  And it's over!  Those camels are sleeping forever.  Go about your business."

Stravitch roared so loudly it made his own head hurt.  The camel skittered towards him, it's one broken leg making the scrambled, busted gait look arachnid in motion, the limbs splaying and pulling in an awkward parody of reality.  It tried to bite through his leathery skin, but teeth couldn't find a perch on the swell of his gut.  Black eye sockets peered up at him - almost in confusion - as the teeth clacked against air. 

His mace swung in an arc.  The camel exploded into white dust and bone projectiles.  Stravitch sauntered back towards his poison temple, towards his stash of rum, ignoring the awe and fear of the Dwarves trying to avoid him to reach the recently dead.

Fingers gently lifted the emaciated corpse from the ground.  Deerowls wept a single tear - all she could muster within her battered soul.  broken feet dragged on the stones as she slowly moved towards the bone pile, to let the corpse await the opening of a new alcove, and a new coffin.

Knick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2726 on: February 20, 2012, 07:23:36 am »

fried slices of cat scrapple

This one phrase amused me to no end.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day.  Light a man on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
The great Dwarfen Philosopher Urist McConfused said it best:  "Light a kitten on fire and it will run screaming into the booze stockpile and catch the whole fort up.  I know, we tested it in twelve different forts and it always happened."

Obsidian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2727 on: February 20, 2012, 03:43:46 pm »

Would you mind posting some of Stravitch's combat stats? I get the feeling that nothing can actually hurt him anymore (not sure if it's his natural dwarvenly skin or all the booze, maybe both.)
Obsidian cancels common sense: Interrupted by insanity
!!carp!!

Heavy Flak

• Bay Watcher
  • Olsmo Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #2728 on: February 20, 2012, 09:32:16 pm »

Would you mind posting some of Stravitch's combat stats? I get the feeling that nothing can actually hurt him anymore (not sure if it's his natural dwarvenly skin or all the booze, maybe both.)

Let's see...

Code: [Select]
STRAVITCH, in Numbers, Presented in Text

Skill Level XP
Maceman 137 5806/14200
Shield User 57 2990/6200
Armor User 27 2396/3200
Wrestler 17 60/2200
Siege Operator 15 540/2000
Conversationalist 6 1020/1100
Flatterer (lulz) 6 916/1100
Judge of Intent 6 997/1100
Intimidator 6 1032/1100
Negotiator 6 930/1100
Consoler 6 964/1100
Persuader 6 828/1100
Comedian 6 1053/1100
Mason 2 677/700

Strength: 26
Agility: 25
Toughness: 18

Damages
Right Eye: 65535

Also, here's a request for you readers.  I recently glanced at The Hall of Legends, and am still a bit humbled I'm listed in there at all.  But I have a feeling that the description printed isn't... the most accurate of blurbs, considering how this story has twisted and evolved over the years.  I've tried coming up with one myself, but I don't think, "A Parody-Powered Hate Machine" is the best thing to have it listed as, even if it's terse and technically accurate. 

Anyone else want to take a stab at it? 

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #2729 on: February 20, 2012, 10:26:54 pm »

The quintessential Dwarf Fortress story: Lofty goals, tall structures, and slowrapid descents into high-functioning insanity.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.
Pages: 1 ... 180 181 [182] 183 184 ... 189