Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: These rabbits are made of air  (Read 14224 times)

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
Re: These rabbits are made of air
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2011, 10:29:46 am »

I had a breeding colony of rabbits, selected for gigantic and muscular.  I got nothing from them all but skulls.  I stopped taking rabbits and cavys with me because of this.  I hadn't realized that the poultry were also duds.  Since we can take meat from them at embark, it only seems fair that we should be able to get some from butchering ourselves.  My butcher was "competant".  Having butchered rabbits personally, there isn't very much hard about it.  You hang the corpse by the heels, strip off the fur, cut off the head, slit the belly, dump out the guts, cut off the feet, and joint it somewhat like a chicken.  Not nearly as tedious as butchering a deer.
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Syndic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2011, 10:40:36 am »

a bunny isn't full-grown until he reaches age 2 (body size starts at 50, grows to 250 at age 1 when they stop being childs, then grows to 500 again at age 2). maybe you'll get one meat once they're 2 years old? haven't tried this though, just something I noticed for my own meat-industry: many animals continue growing after they're adults
I'm fairly confidant they don't continue to grow, however if in it's description it says any about being muscular that animal will produce more meat(weak means less).

Dwarves get fatter after they hit adulthood. I got the impression that this wasn't just due to skill increases. Perhaps now that animals eat, they too can get fat/emaciated?

Animals DO continue to grow. In the raws of an animal (here the rabbit as example), you'll find this entry:

[BODY_SIZE:0:0:50]
   [BODY_SIZE:1:0:250]
   [BODY_SIZE:2:0:500]

This means the rabbit will be size 50 starting at year 0, day 0, then grow to size 250 at year 1, day 0 and finally reach size 500 at year 2, day 0.

Animals that are (according to their description) fat will produce more fat, muscular more meat, and big ones... not sure, but might be both.

As I said though, I don't know if size 500 would be enough to net you flesh. Since chicken were reported not to give any and are size 60 (chick), 1500 (adult!) and 3000 (2 years old), I guess rabbits won't ever give flesh until/unless butchery is reworked

ThrowerOfStones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Alea Iacta Est
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2011, 10:44:03 am »

Really does sound like this should be reworked. I doubt rabbits are intended to be skull farms.
The dead do not respond to context.
Pencil and Paper Blog Ahoy!

foop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2011, 12:10:38 pm »

So what's the smallest grazing livestock that yields meat on butchering?  Goats?

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2011, 12:49:03 pm »

Are you butchering outside? I noticed a long stream of creatures being butchered outside on scorching maps not giving anything, then I moved them inside and I started getting things. It maybe that they are evaporating or rotting instantly in outside conditions. Haven't tested it enough yet to tell definitively though.

Edit: Just butchered a new born peachick and got 8 units of meat at an indoor butchery. I think its related to temperatures.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 01:11:11 pm by beorn080 »
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2011, 01:18:14 pm »

Let me see... here's the relevant list:

ALL of the grazer creatures:
Code: [Select]
ANIMAL GRAZER CREATURE_SIZE
elephant 12 5000000
rhinoceros 20 3000000
draltha 24 2500000
water buffalo 60 1000000
giraffe 60 1000000
yak 85 700000
cow 100 600000
unicorn 100 600000
horse 120 500000
camel 1 120 500000
camel 2 120 500000
mule 150 400000
donkey 200 300000
elk 200 300000
muskox 210 285000
llama 333 180000
deer 428 140000
reindeer 461 130000
warthog 600 100000
elk bird 600 100000 (lays eggs, dies of starvation on the nest box!)
alpaca 857 70000
pig 1000 60000
sheep 1200 50000
goat 1200 50000
mtn goat 1200 50000
gazelle 3000 20000
hoary marmot 6000 10000
groundhog 20000 3000
cavy 75000 800
rabbit 120000 500

Creature size is proportional to the amount of meat that they yield when slaughtered. So a horse requires 10x more grass than a goat. A goat requires 100x more grass than a rabbit. An elephant requires 10x more grass than a horse, or 100x more than a goat, or 10000x more than a rabbit.

So I can't have a war elephant herd anymore?

Now then, a quick wiki check says mountain goats give 9 meat, although you need to wait until they are 2 years old before they hit full size (only being 1/5 that size beforehand).  That means we probably need a little over a creature size of 5,000 before it gives any meat at all.

Turkeys have a maximum size of 5,000, but only after 2 years.  Unfortunately, this means that only the beefiest of turkeys have a chance of producing any meat at all.  (It's a pity Toady makes all these things round numbers...)

I'm going to go make a wiki page for this stuff so I don't have to search the forums again...
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2011, 01:35:38 pm »

Granted, turkeys provide eggs, so their food value is ENORMOUS if kept alive.

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2011, 02:30:58 pm »

Are you butchering outside? I noticed a long stream of creatures being butchered outside on scorching maps not giving anything, then I moved them inside and I started getting things. It maybe that they are evaporating or rotting instantly in outside conditions. Haven't tested it enough yet to tell definitively though.

Edit: Just butchered a new born peachick and got 8 units of meat at an indoor butchery. I think its related to temperatures.

I just this moment slaughtered a normal gander in my outdoor butchery and got 8 units of goose meat.  I never got any cavy or rabbit meat under the same conditions, not even from gigantic, muscular rabbits.
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2011, 02:57:03 pm »

Alright, let me run some quick bunny slaughters and test.

Edit: Hmm. Yeah, even indoors no products. Odd. Well, can always add the trainable tag to them and have an army of war rabbits.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 03:00:59 pm by beorn080 »
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2011, 03:02:02 pm »

Chain them outside, cheap sentinels for detecting ambushes.

Misterstone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2011, 03:10:09 pm »

Well ideally we'll some day be able to slaughter them, dress the corpse, and allow the corpse to be roasted whole for a nice meal or two.  But it does seem like this needs some work.  Looks like people have already made bug reports about it on the tracker.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2011, 03:31:12 pm »

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=78061.0

I went and made a quick suggestion in response to this thread. 

If we have a 5% chance of getting a unit of meat, it should be a reasonable facsimilie of having to slaughter 20 rabbits to get one unit of meat, so I think that should be a generally sane way of handling these things.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Encased in burning magma

• Bay Watcher
  • Nekkid
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2011, 03:33:32 pm »

I have a mental image of floating undead skulls, with loose kitten/rabbit skin around them.
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

L3TUC3

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:common green]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2011, 06:42:54 pm »

Looks like goats/sheep are the best choice for embark meat/food/craft production. They require little grazing so you can have more of them meandering the pen before it's devoid of grass. The sheep give wool and the goats milk.

I suppose you could keep rabbits as pure pets and have tantrum spirals when they haven't grazed for a while down the mineshaft.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2011, 07:11:13 pm »

Alright, let me run some quick bunny slaughters and test.

Edit: Hmm. Yeah, even indoors no products. Odd. Well, can always add the trainable tag to them and have an army of war rabbits.

Oh god. With their sharp pointy teeth!
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4