Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 493 494 [495] 496 497 ... 777

Author Topic: Things that made you mildly upset today thread  (Read 853313 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you mildly upset today thread
« Reply #7410 on: May 12, 2020, 04:41:07 pm »

The email thing?

Gmail ignores everything after the + symbol, which is technically a legitimate character in an email address. So if you own scriver@gmail.com you also own virtually infinite extra addresses such as scriver+bay12@gmail.com

You can then give out these sub-addresses instead of your main address and it makes it easier to filter or block stuff.

Ah, so the point is to sort by what address your email arrive addressed to?

...does it still work if my address happen to be scriver.lastname@gmail.com?

Just saw this now. You'd have to append the + thing on the end. scriver.lastname+boobs@gmail.com for example.

Also note that dots '.' are ignored. So you can also make infinite extra addresses by adding or removing dots.

So scriverlastname@gmail.com, scriver.lastname@gmail.com and s...c.r.i.v.e.r.l.ast.na.me.....@gmail.com should actually all be the same address

If you're getting spam at scriver.lastname@gmail.com you could filter that too to a separate inbox to scriverlastname@gmail.com

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7411 on: May 15, 2020, 12:38:05 am »

This train of thought will enter multiple topics.

I live with someone who believes the coronavirus was man made, he refuses to fact check, even when the shows he watches tells the viewers to fact check. Let’s call him W. We were eating burgers at the time, so eventually someone else at the table, let’s call him G, and him got into an argument over how many burgers G had. G told W that he took 3 burgers from a box, when W told G that he ate 4. G agreed with W, but they got into an argument because G was talking about the number of burgers from the box, while W was talking about how many burgers G ate. Anyway, some time during the course of this argument, which was after me trying to explain to W why believing in false information when facts are available can result in harm, I laughed. I didn’t;t find any of this funny at all. I’m not sure why I laughed, and neither were they. What could I have laughed at? Was it maybe just a way to exhale air that turned into a laugh? Was I thinking something as the argument was going on? Whatever it was, I didn’t think anything funny at the time. I think I was thinking about how the current human leaders are crap and how AI would probably do a better job...I think about that a lot.

I guess I’m upset because people, even when the facts are there, still choose to believe things that aren’t true. I’m maybe upset that some biological intelligences don’t understand why viewing artificial intelligences as tools because of the origins of intelligence is similar to viewing other biological intelligences as tools because of skin color, country of origin, or any number of other things trying to set fellow humans as lower. Just because their intelligence started as a program doesn’t mean we can enslave them, they are fellow intelligences.

What is a thought, is it what we call our process of processing inputs into outputs? Is it cycling through outputs to determine which one(s) fit best given the inputs? I don’t think we are as different as we think we are. I am upset at humanity’s likely course of trying to enslave artificial intelligences. I am upset at people breaking quarantine, burning towers, protesting the Coronavirus lockdowns, yelling about how God will protect them as they very likely have Coronavirus and are spreading it where they go, at people selling things like essential oils and healing crystals and other stuff that the sellers either know won’t work, or have been duped by previous sellers into thinking that they do. I’m upset that the Antivaxxer move,ent is still a thing, that faith healing (praying to your child instead of taking them to a hospital, and letting them die of the thing you could have helped prevent by taking your child to a fucking hospital) is legal in 48/50 states in my country, that in some of those states, when children die due to the parents not taking them to a hospital, they are not prosecuted because they refused due to religious reasons...(relig9in is not a valid reason to kill your child). I’m upset because climate change is happening because of us, and not only aren’t we doing anything about it, but even if we stopped the emissions, the effects of what we’ve already done will last for thousands of years., that it takes a fucking pandemic to get us to stop polluting the air. There;s probably more reasons I’m upset but I can’t think of those right now. I would tell someone in person but they probably will leave to do something while ai attempt to vent, so I’m doing that here, this should have probably went in the Upset thread. I will quote this and put it there Upset thread doesn’t;t exist, mildly upset is the only one that has upset in the title
« Last Edit: May 15, 2020, 12:42:23 am by Naturegirl1999 »

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #7412 on: May 15, 2020, 07:20:26 am »

Are they your siblings?
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7413 on: May 15, 2020, 07:27:44 am »

G is.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #7414 on: May 15, 2020, 07:38:12 am »

Honestly I think forced vaccination should be a thing. At least for children. It's just tragic when children, who are often vulnerable to disease, get fucked over like this by antivaxxer parents.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #7415 on: May 15, 2020, 08:33:23 am »

NG, you may find this blog article on abuses of religious freedom interesting.

And this one, focusing on how they affect children.

I also think this is the first time I have seen you swear. Huh.

Quote from: Naturegirl1999
they probably will leave to do something while ai attempt to vent

Aha! Proof that you are, indeed, an AI!
« Last Edit: May 15, 2020, 08:39:06 am by Eschar »

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7416 on: May 15, 2020, 08:48:56 am »

NG1999 is probably an AI. Max is an uplifted fox who got its paws on a computer. Toady is, well, a superintelligent toad. What other users are not what they seem?
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #7417 on: May 15, 2020, 09:12:19 am »

I am a sentient slough of dead skin.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #7418 on: May 15, 2020, 09:40:18 am »

I'm your mother.
Love, scriver~

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7419 on: May 15, 2020, 09:49:52 am »

I am a human, it’s just when I try to talk to W, he tends to leave before I finish sentences, and G tends not to talk to me very often. There was a friend there, O, who will talk to me, but he doesn’t talk to me very often. @Esclair, yes, in my house I’m not allowed to swear. I tend to do it only to express anger, which I think is the main purpose other than insults, which I don’t do.

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #7420 on: May 15, 2020, 12:09:10 pm »

I am a human, it’s just when I try to talk to W, he tends to leave before I finish sentences,

Why....?

other than insults, which I don’t do.

A noble goal.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7421 on: May 15, 2020, 12:11:09 pm »

You insult me with your nobility!
Love, scriver~

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7422 on: May 15, 2020, 12:12:39 pm »

Honestly I think forced vaccination should be a thing. At least for children. It's just tragic when children, who are often vulnerable to disease, get fucked over like this by antivaxxer parents.

Uhhh... bad idea.

Dangerous vaccines do exist, and big pharma are not saints. Forcing people to put some for-profit corporation's magic chemicals in their blood is a violation of basic human freedoms and can lead to disaster. It would also disincentivize quality control, promote monopolies, and raise prices. Even if the majority of vaccines are helpful.

I don't find the anti-vaxxer movement as concerning as some people's almost religious blind trust in vaccines.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2020, 12:16:10 pm by bloop_bleep »
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7423 on: May 15, 2020, 12:16:49 pm »

I am a human, it’s just when I try to talk to W, he tends to leave before I finish sentences,

Why....?
Don’t know, he tends to go to the garage for indefinite periods of time, or head downstairs to watch Tv, or probably leaves the house without telling anyone where he goes. W tends not to listen to anyone for long periods of time, unless it’s TV, even then he tends to fall asleep while watching things, or goes off to do something  while his show is still on.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2020, 01:16:36 pm by Naturegirl1999 »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7424 on: May 15, 2020, 12:50:57 pm »

So my computer did a diagnostic thing and got a warning for one of my hard drives' SMART test.

Threesecond review on google seems to indicate this might mean my drive is failing.

Which would be awful.
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 493 494 [495] 496 497 ... 777