Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 635 636 [637] 638 639 ... 777

Author Topic: Things that made you mildly upset today thread  (Read 853349 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you mildly upset today thread
« Reply #9540 on: January 11, 2022, 07:41:17 am »

It's, uh. Actually fairly easy to hammer a nail with a scalpel, though. Just make sure you cap off the blade and hit with the other end of it, which is usually flat, larger than a nail head, and pretty sturdy.

Hammer a nail with a noodle might work better, especially since it adds alliteration and that's always an improvement.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9541 on: January 11, 2022, 08:37:35 am »

Aren't the rules of Dark Heresy super simple compared to 5e? IIRC, isn't it just a percentile die game like WFRP, where you can pretty much improvise the rules? Shouldn't be much of an effort to read or just skim through them.

Overall honestly 5e is super duper easy to play, and that's probably why people stick to it so hard. It did this by paring character building choices way down compared to earlier editions. Although it's true has a lot of specific abilities within classes but you have no reason to really need to know how they work and for the most part you just pick a class and you get a list of things you can do and it's totally possible to play the game by picking options off that list in any situation and not make any hard choices ever again.

So I'm not sure if I'd say it's simpler, and I'd even honestly say whrping games are more complex to play? In DH you pick a class and you have to make a lot of fairly important choices in how to build from there, probably partially dependent on your base stats which is already more complicated then D&D character building. In general the DH rules are a bit more complex with degrees of success rather then D&D pass/fail system and there's a lot more and more complicated actions in combat in DH. You  don't need to know how to grapple people or whatever in D&D if your a fighter, your core mechanic is rolling 1d20+attack bonus then damage dice, sometimes you action surge, but in DH picking what combat action to do is the core mechanic of combat. There's also a lot more skills and talents in DH then in D&D and so it sorta takes more effort to know how what you're trying to do works when you're working outside of combat. And overall although D&D has more spells to choose from then DH, psychic powers in DH are often more complicated to use.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2022, 08:44:27 am by Criptfeind »

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9542 on: January 11, 2022, 11:12:14 am »

You have people that won't read the PHB? What a nightmare. I've had to deal with someone similar who pretty much demanded that either I (the DM) or the friend that introduced him make his character for him. I did a happy dance when he decided not to play.
Not sure if dying of old age is an honor or a shame for weaponmasters. On the one hand, it means they never got the opportunity to die in glorious battle. On the other hand, it means nothing could beat them in glorious battle.
Meow.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #9543 on: January 11, 2022, 01:05:24 pm »

You have people that won't read the PHB? What a nightmare. I've had to deal with someone similar who pretty much demanded that either I (the DM) or the friend that introduced him make his character for him. I did a happy dance when he decided not to play.

Step 1 of wanting to play D&D is actually wanting to play D&D. Always disliked that people wanted to be part of a social event but didn't want to play. They're just a distraction.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #9544 on: January 12, 2022, 04:26:30 am »

Heh heh heh, as an Evil GM, I would LOVE if a player asked me to make a character for them.
Oh, the quest/mission requires that someone pick a lock? Lazy Player gets a character that EXCELS at picking locks, and absolutely nothing else.
They probably won't even notice that their character is far worse than possible under any character creation rules... :P

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #9545 on: January 12, 2022, 04:29:15 am »

Or not play D&D?  :D
Sure, i decided not to play anything now.  :P

Play Paranoia.  Knowing the rules just gets you shot in that game!
More seriously, GURPS or D6 are easy enough if someone is running them.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9546 on: January 12, 2022, 08:02:58 am »

It's, uh. Actually fairly easy to hammer a nail with a scalpel, though. Just make sure you cap off the blade and hit with the other end of it, which is usually flat, larger than a nail head, and pretty sturdy.

Hammer a nail with a noodle might work better, especially since it adds alliteration and that's always an improvement.
If you start examining the literal truth of every metaphor you start getting possessed by Dwarven strange moods until you make it happen. Like that one guy who makes knives out of ice or pasta, I'm sure a Dwarf with enough noodle would eventually find a way to hammer a nail with it

Aren't the rules of Dark Heresy super simple compared to 5e? IIRC, isn't it just a percentile die game like WFRP, where you can pretty much improvise the rules? Shouldn't be much of an effort to read or just skim through them.
Pretty much. It's got a better skill system for doing things which don't involve combat, it doesn't suffer from HP bloat at higher levels, and it's got a much simpler magic system which doesn't render all other characters obsolete. It's got a d100 system instead of d20 but it's all essentially the same percentile dice system, nothing as fine as a 3d6 or 2d10 or may Jesus forgive me for even writing it, a 1d12+1d8 system

Yeah, and I am outnumbered greatly on that front. I have one player who reads_fucking_everything, even the background lore published by companies or myself and 1 other occasionally write. The rest just coast through and ignore that one player who reads everything whenever he complains they're getting rules wrong

Step 1 of wanting to play D&D is actually wanting to play D&D. Always disliked that people wanted to be part of a social event but didn't want to play. They're just a distraction.
I'm now locked at an impasse with three of them who maintain that bad games is better than no games. But I keep telling them if we weren't wasting hours of our precious few times when all of us are free on a game no one is having fun with, we could be doing literally anything else. I feel like I'm morphing into some Jack Chick tract where my friends have been consumed by satanic molemen of laziness where they can no longer imagine a better night out than arguing for three hours over the morality of working for Professor Killgore or Duke Stardust when all of them possess the power to delete anyone in setting from existence with a single action. The end is nigh! Rapture is coming!

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9547 on: January 12, 2022, 04:34:33 pm »

Quote from: Loud Whispers
my friends have been consumed by satanic molemen of laziness where they can no longer imagine a better night out than arguing for three hours over the morality of working for Professor Killgore or Duke Stardust when all of them possess the power to delete anyone in setting from existence with a single action. The end is nigh! Rapture is coming!

Wait, I've been to this specific DnD hell before. See the point is to project your own personal moral views onto your character, then use them as a proxy to preach in detail at everyone present while accusing everyone else of being unable to separate fiction from reality.

It's not obnoxious, its roleplaying!
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9548 on: January 12, 2022, 04:43:31 pm »

Wait, I've been to this specific DnD hell before. See the point is to project your own personal moral views onto your character, then use them as a proxy to preach in detail at everyone present while accusing everyone else of being unable to separate fiction from reality.

It's not obnoxious, its roleplaying!
You don't understand, I'm not actually advocating for Anarcho-Monarchism, it's just what my character would do!

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9549 on: January 12, 2022, 05:39:54 pm »

Died AGAIN in cultist simulator, very close to the end, because I was being hunted and didn't do enough about it >:(

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9550 on: January 15, 2022, 08:30:21 am »

I kept savescumming cultist simulator, that game was kind of stressful to me, didn't get that far savescumming either.

Ok RL outstanding relentlesness max 60 visitors in 9h = cant do that 30sec thing without getting interrupted. Very funny haha and believable such stochastic yay. They're not at all planning their day around annoying me, and I'm not in the center of a simulation, so how the fuck could it be any different , this is a totally believable distribution. No overlap, if someone's tardy the former compensates by being slower. Not a day an exception. OUTDTANDING RELENTLESNESS HAHA, HILARIOUS HAHA
let

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #9551 on: January 15, 2022, 09:20:00 am »

I’m running a fever and am feeling generally shitty. Hopefully it isn’t the rona but I already missed an exam I am sure I would have passed otherwise, so it has already done some damage.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #9552 on: January 15, 2022, 09:44:56 pm »

... super small, but pretty disappointed when a search for "stay a little longer remixes" on youtube turned up a surprising amount of remixes (including a trap drop remix, to which my initial response was "holy shit put that in my belly")... none of which were remixing the old western swing tune that I was actually looking for.

My body was very ready for a few moments, there, but rapidly unreadied :-\

I don't know what a trap drop remix of an old western swing tune would sound like, but gods, now I want to know.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9553 on: January 16, 2022, 04:36:21 am »

Pokemon Crystal (and thus, Crystal Clear) starts "morning" at 4AM.
I don't really care about catching Delibird but I'm mildly upset at being reminded that I'm up this late/early.

In my defense there was a pretty interesting discussion about HoI in a stellaris chat.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9554 on: January 16, 2022, 01:54:50 pm »

Shit man, the fat on my belly just feels heavier than it ever has before. I'm trying to do some light exercises but I can't really get into it, I can't get energized, and I'm reduced to sweating like a pig and catching my breath in no time at all. I had to retreat from ping pong last week cause I went and just felt like I was going to die, and I don't want to repeat that embarrassment so I guess I have to cancel this week too. Just fuck me, I'm the most stereotypical overweight no-lifer there ever was.
Pages: 1 ... 635 636 [637] 638 639 ... 777