Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 712 713 [714] 715 716 ... 777

Author Topic: Things that made you mildly upset today thread  (Read 853326 times)

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you mildly upset today thread
« Reply #10695 on: December 28, 2022, 03:07:45 am »

Hopefully when the computers take over they abolish capitalism, make everyone equal under the law, and optimize the economy so nobody is ever left wanting for what they need or want.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #10696 on: December 28, 2022, 11:12:24 am »

If we're lucky this means we go back to writing by hand instead of keyboard.
Love, scriver~

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #10697 on: December 28, 2022, 01:44:52 pm »

Due to our police having been very succesful this year, mostly through breaking encryption on certain phones popular in the underworld, drug labs have become more dangerous.

Because the police managed to arrest and imprison a lot of expert cooks, chemists and engineers, the drug labs are now built by unskilled thugs.

This year saw 14 exploding drug labs with lethal consequences.

Last year, only 1 person got killed in a drug lab explosion.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #10698 on: December 28, 2022, 02:09:37 pm »

Better the world end in fire than for everyone to have everyone else's handwriting regularly inflicted upon them once again. The world may have spun before typing existed, but it spun as a hell worse than the modern day.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10699 on: December 29, 2022, 05:34:04 pm »

Why do A,B,C,D,E in 20 minutes when you can do A,F,G,B,H,I,L,E, in 40 minutes?

From A to D, skipping B and C!

i love this grappling hook

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #10700 on: December 29, 2022, 11:43:37 pm »

I use ChatGPT for writing ideas. I don't have it write my novel but it's superb at naming things. Which I suck at. Overall it's a net gain to society imo.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10701 on: December 30, 2022, 05:05:05 am »

I still think using AI for writing is cheating, also aren't there books filled with names you could look at?
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #10702 on: December 30, 2022, 07:23:23 am »

I still think using AI for writing is cheating, also aren't there books filled with names you could look at?
It's cheating if you pass off a work created solely or mostly via AI as something you wrote yourself, neither of which am I doing. And why would I spend money on a book when I can just ask the AI for free? :P

I am a lazy writer.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #10703 on: December 30, 2022, 10:46:47 am »

If using AI for writing is cheating, so is using an editor or asking for feedback from other people. Lotta' writing cheaters out there :P
Ask not!
Ask!

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #10704 on: December 30, 2022, 11:45:07 am »

Better the world end in fire than for everyone to have everyone else's handwriting regularly inflicted upon them once again. The world may have spun before typing existed, but it spun as a hell worse than the modern day.

You only think that because you have grown fat and lazy on decadent typewriting. It is only right that my strong and battle-honed handwriting warriors tear your empire down and replace it!
Love, scriver~

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #10705 on: December 30, 2022, 02:12:57 pm »

My handwriting looks like shit and I don't need a nun beating my wrists with a ruler over it
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10706 on: December 30, 2022, 02:54:02 pm »

It is, in fact, possible to have good handwriting without someone smacking your hand over every mistake.

I was lying in bed this morning and thought up the perfect metaphor to describe my childhood and 20's: Imagine a child confined from birth and forced to live in a small box. The box is big enough for a child, but inadequate as he grows. He's not allowed out of the box however, and so as he grows his limbs and spine grow gnarled and crooked. When he reaches adulthood, he is allowed out of the box, but his body is deformed and useless, and he can't do anything but envy the healthy people around him. To have any chance whatsoever of living a normal life, he has to un-deform himself, snapping his own bones and resetting them in an arduous and painful process. Nobody can help him with this process, because nobody else knows about the box and cannot relate. Over the course of more than a decade, the bone breaking and resetting process feels almost complete, but the child can never be sure if his achievements are ever anything more than superficial imitation, as he doesn't naturally know what his skeleton SHOULD look like, and instead was forced to imitate the size and shape of the people around him. Because the child cannot see inside himself, or see inside of others, the comparison is always guesswork, so it is impossible to know for sure if he has succeeded in rehabilitating himself, or if he's just created a twisted imitation of a natural human shape using his own body. It may be impossible to know for sure.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #10707 on: December 30, 2022, 03:00:00 pm »

Should not the child realize that, if they cannot see inside themselves, and they cannot see inside others, then there is no basis of comparison and therefore comparisons are irrelevant, and it's only belief that truly matters?

Seems related to the cave allegory.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #10708 on: December 30, 2022, 03:08:05 pm »

It is, in fact, possible to have good handwriting without someone smacking your hand over every mistake.
For some people, anyway :-\

It's pretty apt to the thread when you spend over a decade investing several hours a week trying to improve your handwriting and it just doesn't, though. Typing is a hell of an equalizer when it comes to non-vocal communication. Not a perfect one, but it's better than anything involving motor control as fine as handwriting requires.
Ask not!
Ask!

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10709 on: December 30, 2022, 03:34:45 pm »

For some people, anyway :-\

It's pretty apt to the thread when you spend over a decade investing several hours a week trying to improve your handwriting and it just doesn't, though. Typing is a hell of an equalizer when it comes to non-vocal communication. Not a perfect one, but it's better than anything involving motor control as fine as handwriting requires.

Actually, the example I was thinking of was me and my sister. I grew up in the era of learning cursive, and I have AWFUL handwriting. My sister grew up in the era of zoomers who text everything, and she has very good handwriting somehow.

Should not the child realize that, if they cannot see inside themselves, and they cannot see inside others, then there is no basis of comparison and therefore comparisons are irrelevant, and it's only belief that truly matters?

Seems related to the cave allegory.

Being unable to see something doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Even if you cannot see the exact process, you can see the objective and tangible results they produce. I'll agree that comparing oneself to others will always lead to misery, but if one is sick and has always been sick, it's pretty enviable to see the vitality and colour of others compared to your own feebleness and pallor.

This isn't to say that interpretation and belief cannot will changes into existence. Social movements are made entirely of beliefs and they can change the very nature of the world. Ultimately however, facts trump beliefs, and if it is a fact that one is sick, then no amount of believing otherwise will change it.

To continue on the deformed child metaphor, perhaps the ultimate lesson learned from the repeated bone breaking and resetting process, was that the exact shape and size of his body is modular in nature, and after learning more about the world can decide to continuously break and reset his bones (changing himself) to always better fit and succeed in his environment, rather than simply trying to emulate his peers.
Pages: 1 ... 712 713 [714] 715 716 ... 777