Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 214

Author Topic: If Bay Forum were a Mountain Hall...  (Read 431571 times)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
Re: If Bay Forum were a Mountain Hall...
« Reply #480 on: April 08, 2012, 04:21:23 am »

Incidentally, I genned a world you might like, kobkob. I was playing with the world painter, and forgetting I was using a large world template I made a small island. After tweaking the values so it could gen, it gave me one crowded with megabeasts and with kobolds as the only civs.
Since they're the only ones, it lets them be adventurers!
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: April 08, 2012, 06:08:34 am »

I think the best description of a Bay12 Mountain hall would be this;

Three of us would all be helming seperate megaprojects.  Most likely ones that cross at certain points and will likely kill the fort if either are used.

Five of us would be fiddling the fort's basic layout to try and improve it, instead opening it to horrors above or below in the process. 

Another 20-or-so would be hanging around the meeting hall, listening to the stories of the other eight.

The rest would be scattered throughout the fort, going through their own unique and insane deeds. 

None would dare approach or trade with the fort, knowing the depths of madness that lurked within its halls.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: April 08, 2012, 08:03:51 am »

We'd be quite different to the dwarves we control, however. We're much saner, for one thing, and not as dependent on alcomahol.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: April 08, 2012, 08:24:52 am »

Fniff cancels work: interrupted by internet.
Fniff cancels work: interrupted by magma.

Still a kid, just lazing about with no real skills.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: April 08, 2012, 10:51:16 am »

Thanks, Fen, Oliolli. :P Four people wanting me to continue is more than I expected, so I'll continue it, and try to see if I can get back to where I was with as few story changes as possible.

But a question to everybody (especially those experienced with modding): Is it possible to disable a civilization from visiting you (be it to attack or trade) after the world has been generated? If not, and if I continue with this fort, eventually we will see those three extra civs, which are rather... un-DF. It wasn't intentional, I just started the game in the wrong folder. As a result, if I don't find a way to turn them off, we'll see horrors, jokes, and aliens...

Also, ThatAussieGuy, I think we'd be a little too preoccupied with survival to build megaprojects... at least, at first. :P If we're lucky it would end up like Weatherwires or FlareChannel, and we'd survive until we died of old age... but honestly, this being Dwarf Fortress, few fortresses end up like that... We'd definitely be preoccupied with survival.
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: April 08, 2012, 10:59:58 am »

Thanks, Fen, Oliolli. :P Four people wanting me to continue is more than I expected, so I'll continue it, and try to see if I can get back to where I was with as few story changes as possible.

But a question to everybody (especially those experienced with modding): Is it possible to disable a civilization from visiting you (be it to attack or trade) after the world has been generated? If not, and if I continue with this fort, eventually we will see those three extra civs, which are rather... un-DF. It wasn't intentional, I just started the game in the wrong folder. As a result, if I don't find a way to turn them off, we'll see horrors, jokes, and aliens...

Also, ThatAussieGuy, I think we'd be a little too preoccupied with survival to build megaprojects... at least, at first. :P If we're lucky it would end up like Weatherwires or FlareChannel, and we'd survive until we died of old age... but honestly, this being Dwarf Fortress, few fortresses end up like that... We'd definitely be preoccupied with survival.
You can live on an island or turn invaders off, and don't build a trade depot. The dwarven traders will still come but they'll just mill around the edge of the map.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: April 08, 2012, 11:08:21 am »

Indeed, there's no direct means to disable the modded civs.

What were they, anyway?

Also, I want a chance to dig myself a spacious room fit for a noble, and fill it with caged prisoners of the female variety. I'm thinking a large (9x9 or so), open main hall with balconies from the second story overlooking it, and a long row of glass windows behind fortifications in the bedroom, which is off to the side of the second story, to admire the caverns through. Oh, and a workshop area downstairs for masonry and mechanics workshops that I can use.

Might as well do something similar for other bay12ers, and randomly conscript those who never reply to this thread by nicknaming a dorf after them.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: April 08, 2012, 11:35:55 am »

Indeed, there's no direct means to disable the modded civs.

What were they, anyway?

Also, I want a chance to dig myself a spacious room fit for a noble, and fill it with caged prisoners of the female variety. I'm thinking a large (9x9 or so), open main hall with balconies from the second story overlooking it, and a long row of glass windows behind fortifications in the bedroom, which is off to the side of the second story, to admire the caverns through. Oh, and a workshop area downstairs for masonry and mechanics workshops that I can use.

Might as well do something similar for other bay12ers, and randomly conscript those who never reply to this thread by nicknaming a dorf after them.

Note to self:  Fill next I start with Bay12-named 'conscript' dwarves.  They work harder than the regular kind.  Science says so

KodKod

• Bay Watcher
  • Fond of despair and alcoholism.
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: April 08, 2012, 11:39:14 am »

As a result, if I don't find a way to turn them off, we'll see horrors, jokes, and aliens...

You could simply alter the raws slightly so that they die the moment they enter the map.
/人‿‿人\
Tell me what you see. It's a mortal wretched cacophony!
KodBlog: A rage in progress. Updated 20/04/12

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #489 on: April 08, 2012, 11:44:12 am »

I've also noticed. At one point it advanced 10 pages in one short night.

Max up that post count per page - for me it's only on 10 pages altogether :P

Loud Whispers - you're were still lurking around the meeting halls when it quit. You're okay. You just have a lot of friends, which makes you very vulnerable to tantruming/going nuts.

Like the way nature intended.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: April 08, 2012, 11:45:38 am »

You could simply alter the raws slightly so that they die the moment they enter the map.
This is a good plan, we should also set fire to a piece of lignite and have a never ending bonfire on which to huck their useless non-metal crap/corpses. You could put it in the dining hall and we could all sit around it and sing Kumbayah, or roast cats over it, one of those.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: April 08, 2012, 11:48:47 am »

Depends.... How valuable are the bones?

The bones man, the bones!

WaffleEggnog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: April 08, 2012, 11:52:30 am »

This is a good plan, we should also set fire to a piece of lignite and have a never ending bonfire on which to huck their useless non-metal crap/corpses. You could put it in the dining hall and we could all sit around it and sing Kumbayah, or roast cats over it, one of those.
No! Then we would suceptible to attack by elves that don't like eating people raw (damn cannibal faces). Any way, if bay12 were a mountain hall, I have a feeling it would be full of unmarked doomsday levers, pointless mega projects and fancy elf traps.
WHEN POSSIBLE, I PREFER TO CONSUME YOUR FACE.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: April 08, 2012, 11:57:36 am »

"this is the death by fuzzy kittens lever. Pulling it opens the trapdoor overhead, dropping the giant ball of fluffy kittens on top of you."
"Right next to it, is the "emergency retract the bridge" lever. Be sure not to confuse the two!"

HmH

• Bay Watcher
  • Cage Trap Personified
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: April 08, 2012, 12:09:20 pm »

and fancy elf traps.
Do you mean traps, or traps?

On a side note, I must mention that danger room training, while indeed much faster than the conventional method, would still take weeks of unadulterated torture to turn the trainee legendary.
In other words, any forumite who strikes legendary in the danger room will have proven themselves to be an ultimate badass with inexhaustible reserves of willpower, and thus the only person deserving to be the Twelfth Mountainhome's ruler.
*steps aside to reveal a pair of brand-new danger rooms, stays to watch how Loud Whispers and KodKod react*
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 214