Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 500 501 [502] 503 504

Author Topic: Note to Urist--In which you express your frustration to your dwarves  (Read 1496501 times)

spinnylights

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolf Leather Dress
    • View Profile
Re: Note to Urist--In which you express your frustration to your dwarves
« Reply #7515 on: May 25, 2022, 02:02:37 am »

Presumably it was a tantrum or other stress-related fight.
I think the justice system only tracks "premeditated" murders, i.e. vampires or fell moods.

If there were no other dwarves to witness what happened, there were no other dwarves to report the crime. The game still knows what happened to the dwarf that was killed, of course, so it gets worked into that dwarf's life story for legends purposes. I don't think the two systems are very connected at this point. If one dwarf from the fort kills another and there are witnesses, they will definitely see it as a crime—tantrums usually lead to a lot of "disorderly conduct" accusations and the like.
Our little Kinsmen — after Rain / In plenty may be seen, / A Cross and Grumbly multitude / The soiled Ground upon // A needless life, it seemed to me / Until a little Roc / As to a Tavern saucily / Advanced and breakfasted. // As I of He, so Armok, me / I pondered, may have judged, / And left the little Mountain-folk / With Wariness enlarged. —–Emily the Poetic Thorns

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7516 on: May 25, 2022, 02:02:34 pm »

If there were no other dwarves to witness what happened, there were no other dwarves to report the crime. The game still knows what happened to the dwarf that was killed, of course, so it gets worked into that dwarf's life story for legends purposes. I don't think the two systems are very connected at this point. If one dwarf from the fort kills another and there are witnesses, they will definitely see it as a crime—tantrums usually lead to a lot of "disorderly conduct" accusations and the like.
I don't know if I can check that directly, but there were, ahem, other dwarves in that tree too.  It was a really poorly chosen designation.  None of the others were harmed and I don't know why the woodcutter decided to axe murder one of the survivors.

WereDragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7517 on: May 26, 2022, 04:50:06 pm »

Dear urist mcmarksdwarf, im sure the undead siege was scary, and i know that pathfinding is hard, what i don’t understand is why when I ordered you to stand inside a pillbox, you instead charged outside and smacked them with your bone crossbow. You arent even crosstrained like your fellow crossdwarves. You were new, but you sure made your mark. With your blood. In the grass. Im sure your baby was proud. For the five seconds you survived while holding it in your offhand. It tried to crawl away. It was the firstborn in the fort. I am both confused and sad. And its all your fault.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #7518 on: May 26, 2022, 06:36:09 pm »

I don't know if I can check that directly, but there were, ahem, other dwarves in that tree too.  It was a really poorly chosen designation.  None of the others were harmed and I don't know why the woodcutter decided to axe murder one of the survivors.

I recall a fight breaking out between a dwarf that had been stuck in a tree and the woodcutter that I sent to "rescue" him too, it could be that it somehow triggers combat when a dwarf gets struck by falling logs as if the woodcutter had attacked the "victim" I've not experienced it in a while thoigh
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7519 on: May 30, 2022, 12:39:15 pm »

I recall a fight breaking out between a dwarf that had been stuck in a tree and the woodcutter that I sent to "rescue" him too, it could be that it somehow triggers combat when a dwarf gets struck by falling logs as if the woodcutter had attacked the "victim" I've not experienced it in a while thoigh
I'm pretty sure that's it, because a couple people involved in that scene engaged in a sort of low-key loyalty cascade for years afterwards.  The last was a woodcutter (the one who cut the tree down on orders) who did nothing a year before he died but constantly go around annoying people resulting in task cancellation spam "interrupted by a woodcutter."  Finally, he did this to an axe lord who just casually beheaded him in one swing and apparently ended the internal dispute.

This is good because we had a monarch coming and you can end up with a really bad loyalty cascade if you have crazy dwarves attacking them when they show up because the royal guard is all Legend at some weapon or another and generally also have that weapon.

Also I found out that while the necromancer proteges of my civilization did in fact write a lot of books they are all on insipid topics, the "secrets of life and death" are currently still all on slabs, but there are a lot of them.  It's somewhat academic as I can't get to them.

I should have lifted the pop cap so more entourage could show up though.  Now either a necro from my civ shows up or doesn't.

This may actually be the fort where I try taking on the circus, because other than the occasional semi-megabeast and one genuinely nasty FB, there is no real threat.  There's a relatively short candy cane (or at least one), and much of the unharvested remnant is "safe" (in the sense of not opening clown world although it is submerged in magma and/or water).  This was nicely formed though and had a number of stone levels with tendrils extending out from the main mass that were clearly safe.

I was also lucky enough to end up with four strand extractors, one of them actually competent, and one of them literally the queen.  I had disabled strand extraction on all craftsdwarf's workshops, then built four workshops that had only extraction enabled, and limited it so only dwarves with at least Novice could use it.  I was surprised to find the queen down there nearly immediately.

LaChouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7520 on: June 06, 2022, 06:29:26 am »

Dear UristMcWorshipper. I know you like all thirteen of those gods, but could you please only choose a few of them? You don't have a job and spend all your time worshipping and despite that you don't have time to worship all of them and it keeps getting you further into depression.

Urist McShire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7521 on: June 06, 2022, 02:03:47 pm »

Dear Urist McTraploader,

Stop loading the crossbow bolts into the weapon traps one at a time! You're carrying a whole stack of 25 copper bolts! Just load them all into the trap at once! I don't want to see you come back and forth 250 times! We're already under siege and I want those traps loaded pronto!

Sincerely,

Your extremely frustrated Overseer

Urist McShire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7522 on: June 21, 2022, 12:55:42 pm »

Dead Nita Frillyfish the Sandaled Safety of Skulls the human hammerman risen hunter,

Could you please become a god of war for my people to worship? I sent all 30 dwarves of my military to stop you, but you and your accursed copper war hammer and copper shield slew 25 of them before a civilian miner who wasn't where he was supposed to be put you down with a pickaxe to your chest in a way none of their axes, spears, swords, or bolts could.

Sincerely, the frustrated but honestly impressed overseer

sketchesofpayne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7523 on: July 09, 2022, 05:09:40 pm »

Alright Urist Junior.  You've been playing make believe on top of the platform we're trying to deconstruct for a month now.  I swear to Armok, if you don't get down right now I will leave you up there!

After we remove the rest of the floor and all the stairs and ramps you can sit there on your little isolated plank of floor jutting out of the cliff face and think about your actions.  Maybe we'll let you down after we finish digging and laying the new foundations and building the new walls.

Fortressmaker

• Bay Watcher
  • i am fortress maker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7524 on: July 16, 2022, 05:02:19 pm »

Dear Urist Mcwarrior

The support team is having problem with the worthless some of your actions posses. So IF YOU HAVE WON 300 GOBLIN WABE DONT BE SO STUPID TO DONDGE OFF THE CLIFF JUST BECAUSE YOU LOVE THE VIEW.

Signed me

P.s. Next time, land squarely.
Hello "Your name", i cant say i heard it before, the life is, in one word, Fortresses.

hedgerow

• Bay Watcher
  • You're Thunderclappin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #7525 on: July 17, 2022, 12:19:25 pm »

Elaborate and conserving dwarfies.

You seem to reserve the stockroom for poison wines.

Why is this herbalist frisking every dwarf in teleport 0?

I don't have to stab her to the hospital bed...

HMD Majesty

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes dwarfs for their stupidity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7526 on: July 26, 2022, 10:59:09 am »

To All Capybara:

Stop picking Fights with Our Dwarfs and Watchducks.  It is a Waste of Time for both Us and Our Dwarfs.

By My Hand,

Her Most Dread Majesty

RandomEngraver

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill all those fucking elephants.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7527 on: September 10, 2022, 02:56:34 am »

Dear Urist McCrafters:
Please do claim your workshops once you enter strange moods.
I'm done wasting weapon durability on executing insane dwarves.
                                                              -Anonymous
A kobold in full *bismuth bronze armour* leaps out of the bushes, wielding an *adamantine two-handed sword*! It reminds you to take a break every now and then.
Currently working on - mod that makes Charr a playable civ.

Durmatagno

• Bay Watcher
  • Sleep Canceled: Playing Dwarf Fortress
    • View Profile
« Reply #7528 on: September 15, 2022, 09:39:04 pm »

To all Urists

I know I am not the most competent of the dark gods that oversee the many many lives you have across many worlds, but I have some words of warning as I prepare my next world. While my experiment to create a friendly Hamster Man civ for you to trade with is on Hiatus, I have succeeded in creating a new threat for you. A Hyena Man civilization, similar to the Goblins but a little less sadistic and more...unified. I must warn you now that they have access to all the same creatures goblins do, plus many that humans do. Please for the of Me, antagonize them constantly so I can make sure they raid and siege properly. So far I have created ten worlds at 125 years, and it was only on the tenth one any dwarf has warred with them. Do you just like them because of their fur? On more internal notes.

Dear Urists of Inkportals

Despite our name, we sadly do not yet have a thriving paper industry. The process has begun, and the library should be filling with the spare paper and the quires we have bought to be copied, but instead, all that sits in the Library is a single green glass table, a green glass throne NOT by that table, and one green glass box. There should be 16 table-throne combinations, two boxes, and 20 green glass bookcases, as the glass industry is our current mainstay, so I thought it'd be fun to use it for our Temples, Inns, and Libraries. Why will you not haul any of the rest of the stuff? I've deleted the placements and put new ones down, and nothing is suspended, but I can see five different dwarfs loitering around in their rooms. I checked, those doors aren't locked, and you have Furniture Hauling. Please finish the Library, I want Inkportals to be the dwarven Library of Alexandria, and we can't get started till you have the library furnished. If this does not change soon, I'm going to let Urist McWereRaptor out of her office so that she feeds on some of you instead of the food and drink I dump into her room. Further, until the library is finished I will be setting off sirens anytime someone tries to party,  there will be no parties till we have a libary.

Dear UristMcWarhammer Squad of Inkportals.

Stop. Biting. Goblins. You have silver warhammers and iron armor, but I've had to replace six members of the squad that got crippled because you only want to bite our invaders and gladiators. Use the heavy metal stick to beat some Goblins, or so help me I'm walling off your barracks and letting you starve. Not drop you in the execution pit, starve. At this point you're just wasting the time and resources put into you, time and resources intended to let us repel a Titan or Werebeast, but you can't even repel half armored goblins. I checked, none of them have anything better than copper armor, and most only have some shields and gloves. Please just smash their skulls in.

Finally

To whoever has created the hoard of rotting stew in the dormitory, why? We have two dining halls and an Inn, both of which have adjacent Prepared Food stockpiles, and a refuse pit that you are supposed to fill before I dump it into the water of the cavern below. Why are their six rotting stews in the corner, and why will no one get rid of them? I know it's not the military dwarves, they have their own dedicated floor and barracks, otherwise I'd assume they're just dumping it out of their inventory. There's been no mining or engraving jobs on that floor for three years, but the stew pile keeps growing. If it doesn't stop soon, you'll be relegated to just biscuits, please just eat it or dump it in the actual garbage.

☼Obsidian Short Sword☼

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA: Obsidian Sword
    • View Profile
« Reply #7529 on: September 18, 2022, 07:20:14 pm »

Dear Farmers:

Please stop complaining whenever Urist McPeasant is carrying your seeds in a barrel.

-Overseer
Still an active reader of the forums.

The 10,000 Dwarf Challenge
Pages: 1 ... 500 501 [502] 503 504