Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Inspired DF Platformer Idea  (Read 1146 times)

Thndr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Inspired DF Platformer Idea
« on: April 06, 2010, 07:11:58 pm »

When I'm bored I've been entertaining the thought of many game concepts. However since I don't know how to code, nor the time to learn, it's always just an idea and it stays at that.

So since I have a specific idea pertaining/inspired by DF, I thought it'd be best just to post the concept file I have written here just to get it out of my head into the ether so it doesn't drive me mad with more braincrack than I already need.

Please excuse the horrible way the text is setup. It's all jumbled and probably incoherent at times.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

If you don't feel like reading the whole thing, the gist of it is basically a comparatively simplistic 2d platformer version of Dwarf Fortress. Not all that unique or anything in terms of general concept. Mostly reminiscent of 2d DF with Down being the new Right.

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
Re: Inspired DF Platformer Idea
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2010, 10:22:25 am »

Since you're calling this a platformer, I assume it's side-view? Then "z-levels" would be vertical slices instead of horizontal ones?
Avid (rabid?) Linux user. Preferred flavor: Arch

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2010, 10:26:02 am »

You mean DF Inspired not Inspired DF.

(mostly posting to follow any potential progress)
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

dwarfguy2

• Bay Watcher
  • Human Meta Knight... 0_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2010, 10:37:58 am »

yeah, good idea. for the game and the feedback post.
Caution: This user may or may not be a horrible evil Elder God from the deepest regions of space. He also may or may not be a lawyer.

SiN.Daeus

• Bay Watcher
  • IT LIVES
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2010, 04:38:10 pm »

Nice idea.

Sorry it if has been covered in your ramblings, but will it be possible to freely switch between Adventure and Fortress mode? Also, is it going to be ASCII or tiled or graphical?
The best kind of music is
---]HEAVY[---
---]HEAVY[---
---]METAL[---

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2010, 05:31:02 pm »

I'd guess graphical, something was mentioned about sprite sizes. Of course there could always be an ASCII graphics set ;)
Avid (rabid?) Linux user. Preferred flavor: Arch

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2010, 05:46:27 pm »

Sounds neat, though complicated for a platformer. :\
*cough*

timmeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2010, 06:57:15 pm »

This looks interesting... I googled random map generation for platformers and found something, very interesting read, even if you don't care for programming.

http://www.sokath.com/papers/smith-fdg09.pdf
On the Wall is a Masterfully engraved carving of Urist McHardcastle and Goblins. Urist McHardcastle is surrounded by the Goblins. The Golbins are stamping on Urist McHardcastle. Urist McHardcaste is laughing at the Goblins. The carving related to the prolonged and bloody death of Urist McHardcastle in the Fall of 1659, the Winter of 1659, and the Spring of 1660. On the engraving is an image of Cheese.

Supermikhail

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarf Of Steel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2010, 04:18:51 am »

Ahem, thread forensics.
I've got another link: Jump'n'run dev.
Yesterday I decided I wanted to program, and the best compromise between beginning and fun thing would be a platformer game.
In my future plans I have run into the following problem:
Digging, graphics and tiles do not match very well. You either need to dig out whole tiles and this brings up a question of choosing tiles which can be tricky if the player isn't very well positioned against some particular tile.
Or, if it's all graphical, like in the link (there is a section about worms-like explosions), then procedural ground generation becomes... unimaginable. For me.
Any ideas?