Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 617 618 [619] 620 621 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1805408 times)

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - Version 0.9 "Ma" released!
« Reply #9270 on: December 10, 2013, 01:33:28 pm »

NPCs seem to want that anyway. Once I had an NPC demand that I dropped a nailgun, and when I didn't he came at me with martial arts. It was a long, slow chase of me firing nails into his increasingly broken body.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #9271 on: December 10, 2013, 02:14:09 pm »

I just learned a new category of mutations have been added: Ursine!

I couldn't help but think of that.

It has pretty cool dreams, too.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9272 on: December 10, 2013, 02:21:05 pm »

All I want to know is, can I kill things with my bear hands?

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9273 on: December 10, 2013, 02:24:51 pm »

All I want to know is, can I kill things with my bear hands?
I need to kill fast, but bullets TOO SLOW.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9274 on: December 10, 2013, 02:38:35 pm »

@Tiruin: Unless I'm mistaken, you're mistaken.
That sounds like you're looking at the Chem list, and that's the recipe *for* concentrated acid.
Batteries are on the Electronics list, and take lemon, acid, or vinegar, as well as a piece of metal (from various sources) and one of the metallic container types.

E:ninja'd
There are actually two recipes for concentrated acid. One requires 125 batteries. The other requires acid water, and good cooking skills.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #9275 on: December 10, 2013, 02:41:37 pm »

@Tiruin: Unless I'm mistaken, you're mistaken.
That sounds like you're looking at the Chem list, and that's the recipe *for* concentrated acid.
Batteries are on the Electronics list, and take lemon, acid, or vinegar, as well as a piece of metal (from various sources) and one of the metallic container types.

E:ninja'd
There are actually two recipes for concentrated acid. One requires 125 batteries. The other requires acid water, and good cooking skills.

Actually, if you need batteries, the most reliable way is to Disassemble crap. Cellphones contain 200 batteries, for example. Raiding an electronics store often yields absurd amount of batteries if you disassemble things.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

DoomOnion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9276 on: December 10, 2013, 03:15:00 pm »

Mind if I ask you what's the ETA for z-levels?

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #9277 on: December 10, 2013, 03:31:50 pm »

How do I board up windows in the new menu system?

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #9278 on: December 10, 2013, 03:41:46 pm »

* will bring up the construction menu. Boarding up windows is in there.

R.I.P Tarkand. Promising character who'd been on a track to success. I had a motorcycle with a side car, tons of food, guns, crafting equipments, books, just about everything I needed. I was raiding a library when a swarm of zombies came after me, so I set a bush on fire and pulled out my Nail Bat (awesome weapon, btw) and started smashing them. Then one of them walked into the bush and exploded. Not sure what it was carrying, but whatever it was caused a big enough explosion to bring me from uninjured to dead. Mostly torso damage. I knew I should have worn that kevlar vest, but I was trying to avoid combat anyway and it'd have added a good bit of encumberance. Who would have guessed a plain zombie would have brought me down in one hit?

Ah, well. Maybe my next character will find his stuff.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #9279 on: December 10, 2013, 04:05:21 pm »

Aderp herp. I knew it was in the old menu, I just missed it in the new one (it's under (c))

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9280 on: December 10, 2013, 04:55:59 pm »

R.I.P Tarkand. Promising character who'd been on a track to success. I had a motorcycle with a side car, tons of food, guns, crafting equipments, books, just about everything I needed. I was raiding a library when a swarm of zombies came after me, so I set a bush on fire and pulled out my Nail Bat (awesome weapon, btw) and started smashing them. Then one of them walked into the bush and exploded. Not sure what it was carrying, but whatever it was caused a big enough explosion to bring me from uninjured to dead. Mostly torso damage. I knew I should have worn that kevlar vest, but I was trying to avoid combat anyway and it'd have added a good bit of encumberance. Who would have guessed a plain zombie would have brought me down in one hit?

Ah, well. Maybe my next character will find his stuff.

Probably carrying ammo. Burning stuff has become less attractive since I realized some zombies explode *sigh*.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #9281 on: December 10, 2013, 05:13:47 pm »

Dear devs,

Just what the fucking hell did you do to spawns? OK, I should probably tone down the angry.

If the game was representative of real life, it would mean that I've spent half my life not knowing that apparently a half of the total population of New England consists of bears. Mind you, this is Static with standard spawn density.

I couldn't even sleep in my goddamn shelter (outside the city, mind you) because hordes of zombie dogs and/or zombears would invade it.

Then, on the next char, I take a walk in the vicinity of the shelter to gather stones, and am attacked by a coyote, three wolves, two zombears, and a moose.

It's not even challenge, it's game waving a giant 'FUCK YOU' sign in my face.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9282 on: December 10, 2013, 05:19:01 pm »

That's a lot of bear wang you've been slapped with.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #9283 on: December 10, 2013, 05:23:22 pm »

That's a lot of bear wang you've been slapped with.

It's not just bears, it's literally everything except for human zombies, zombies are pretty much standard as far as quantity and OBF ('OH, BULLSHIT!' Factor) goes.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9284 on: December 10, 2013, 05:41:42 pm »

In the absense of humans, wildlife will repopulate VERY quickly and become predominant.  However, since orange juice is still good when you start the game, it's assumed this is about 8 hours after the fall of mankind, so not sure how fast bears breed, but...

If you go into town, there's a LOT more human zombies.

My advice?  Start as a tailor, with a single character point to up the skills of tailoring, survival, and fabrication.  Grab a rock, break the window and two lockers.  You have enough here to make two spikes, turn one into a crude knife for butchering, the other into a knife spear, and outfit yourself in trenchcoat, cargo pants, underwear, etc.  You walk out of the shelter very well equipped.
Pages: 1 ... 617 618 [619] 620 621 ... 1086