Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Remove Stairs  (Read 13686 times)

Comrade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Remove Stairs
« on: December 15, 2009, 11:15:12 pm »

I tried to remove these stairs and it doesn't work, how can i remove it?

guale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Remove Stairs
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2009, 11:26:13 pm »

I want to say I have channeled out down stairs but the dwarf doing the channeling ended up at the bottom of the stairs. You could still give it a try.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2009, 11:30:25 pm »

If they're natural stairs, carved from the living rock, designate them for channeling. A miner will come along and turn that square into open space, but do note that they will do this from the level below if there is an up stair or up/down stair on that level!

If they're constructed stairs, designate them for remove construction-ing. They'll be removed, again from below.

Or, if they're natural stairs, you can construct a floor on top of them (b-C-f). They'll still be there, technically, but you won't see them anymore and they won't be usable. I'm pretty sure that the dwarves will build the floor from below here as well, but I could be wrong.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2009, 12:47:46 am »

You can use the remove stairs/ramps thing only on UPWARDS stairs, unfortunately. I tend to just floor over the stairs.
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2009, 01:09:21 am »

Or slap a hatch-coner over them. That gives you the option of enabling/disabling them at will, by lever.
Never pet a burning dog.

petersohn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2009, 08:16:23 am »

Or simply build a floor on them.

Comrade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2009, 08:53:03 pm »

I think i'll build a floor over it, i tried all of the commands to remove it and nothing worked...

qoonpooka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2009, 08:59:55 pm »

Or slap a hatch-coner over them. That gives you the option of enabling/disabling them at will, by lever.

Can you build hatchcovers over grates to seal off drains?

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2009, 09:09:36 pm »

I think i'll build a floor over it, i tried all of the commands to remove it and nothing worked...

Last time I wanted to remove down stairs, my miners did so from below, which is consistent with what NecroRebel posted, and also leads me to believe that this might be the only way. Accordingly, you might wanna try to build up stairs below your down stairs, if you've already removed the "natural" ones (or never had them there in the first place), to see if your dwarves will remove your down stairs from below. They might not be able to reach them otherwise.