Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 166 167 [168]

Author Topic: Blurb on Games that probably don't deserve their own threads.  (Read 297739 times)

TurboDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Pangolins are kind of dwarfy, right?
    • View Profile
Re: Blurb on Games that probably don't deserve their own threads.
« Reply #2505 on: May 02, 2024, 03:08:58 am »

weird. I haven't heard anything about the game 'till this thread, and still don't know what the game is all about. Some kind of city builder? shrugs.
Which is funny because i tend to like games like that.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2506 on: May 02, 2024, 08:25:05 am »

I think it's just good ol' fashioned marketing. IIRC Legend of Total War got his copy for free from the devs. So they probably hit up a lot of people in the scene with free copies, and probably have a competent marketing department that knew how to talk to Steam. Steam does clearly pick winners in the top banner ads. And it may not even be total wishlists but by how fast it gets wishlisted. And there could also just be plain paid placement. All that, combined with it actually looking like a decent game, can go a long ways toward shaping perception.
Good marketing is certainly a factor, and Hooded Horse is a publisher that's got a good track record of interesting strategy games (Against the Storm, Terra Invicta, etc.) but not at these numbers. Skill is certainly a factor but luck is as well.

All sorts of games have positive press coverage, good demos, and give free copies to YouTubers. But that doesn't always translate to 3 million wishlist and 1 million sales in the first week.

Also from what I can tell, it's a solo dev project, although he's certainly being helped by a good marketing department as you said.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2507 on: May 07, 2024, 12:14:44 pm »

Hades 2 just hit EA.

It is fun as hell, everybody is hot and the stuff they added/changed from the first one is pretty nice. Best things so far is the big fuck-off axe that's super satisfying to use and the second region bossfight which has the sickest music so far.

Whole thing feels surprisingly complete too, compared to the original. Like, there's stuff that's clearly not finished or hasn't been added yet, but it feels like at the moment the game has about as much stuff as the fully completed original did, which is pretty neat.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #2508 on: May 07, 2024, 12:37:19 pm »

Huh. Maybe I should get around to actually finishing the first Hades...
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2509 on: May 07, 2024, 01:34:43 pm »

I loved Hades but I dunno, I'm just not interested in Hades 2. I think because I'm not really about the story this time. Escaping Hades and fighting your dad made sense to me; this feels like trying to put lightning in a bottle again. Mechanically I'm sure it's an upgrade. I just don't know if I really want to sit through the dialog I'm not interested in though.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #2510 on: May 07, 2024, 02:09:10 pm »

No disrespect to the Manor Lord devs but....the game looks wildly over-hyped.

I've been playing it for a day or two and it's really nice. It's like the Settlers meets Cities Skylines.

It's close to being the game I've been fantasising about for decades. Yeah, it's unfinished, but it's good. I'd imagine fantasy elements could be modded in.

I think if it's the sort of game you've been wanting but never had, it probably hits the spot; it doesn't need to be everything to everyone.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.
Pages: 1 ... 166 167 [168]