Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 462

Author Topic: Fallout 4: It Just Works  (Read 804265 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout 4: Hype Never Changes
« Reply #315 on: June 06, 2015, 05:59:31 am »

As for the Empire being "coded" evil... Neonivek, you take that stuff way to literal.

It is more that I think the nuance is accidental rather than intentional.

Wimopy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: June 06, 2015, 07:20:16 am »

I'm quite sure that neither side in the civil war is good or bad. The Imperials are in fact gathering strength while the Stormcloaks are acting impatient. Both have their downsides, though the Empire definitely has a better fighting chance with Skyrim

It's also said that the Legion only has slavery on its frontiers, in its center it actually has satisfied, happy, normal civilisation. Then again, this isn't shown, though I believe they did want to show a real Legion village, but it didn't get into the game.
The NCR is specifically useless as well and close to falling apart, afaik.
House might actually have a good effect, I can't really remember his plans.
The player is, aptly named, a wildcard.

Really, it's more up to your imagination what happens to NV in the mong run.

FO3 was definitely far more linear story wise though.
Now updating the Monster Hunter Universe mod
Current Version: 0.4.95b - Updated June 17, 2015
New Thread
Download
Old Thread

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: June 06, 2015, 10:03:42 am »

House might actually have a good effect, I can't really remember his plans.
House is a (egocentric) mechanical and economical genius, and also insanely lucky (his luck stat in game is 10) too, with an army of robots. He could probably get the Mojave up to a pretty big technological level, given his victory, at the cost of it being ruled by an immortal dictator. Whether that's better than the other options is up to you.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Wimopy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: June 06, 2015, 10:20:00 am »

Whether that's better than the other options is up to you.

I'm really thinking that all options add up to that statement in the end. I guess that's both a pro and a con of NV.
New Thread
Download
Old Thread

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: June 06, 2015, 10:25:38 am »

House wants everyone to enjoy his technological paradise. Emphasis on "his". The snowglobe collection is exactly how House sees the world: an encapsulated plaything that he can run as he wishes. As long as people toe the line and don't cause too much of a fuss he doesn't care, but threaten his grand vision and he'll have you roasted by a securitron.

His ideology is progress for its own sake, and a sense of pre-war nostalgia. Backing him brings the quality of life up by a mile for most people, according to the endgame, but it's hinted that how people could potentially misuse it is dangerous.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

ShoesandHats

• Bay Watcher
  • Shoes cancels Drink: Intensified by Penguin Man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: June 06, 2015, 12:49:35 pm »

Y'know, as much as I love the '50s aesthetic, it'd be pretty cool to see how culture progressed outside the US. Maybe Europe adopted a bit more of a '70s vibe or something? I'd like to see some fallout shelters with shag carpeting.

I mean, we do know that certain people that existed in real life after WWII existed in Fallout's diverged universe. Richard Nixon was apparently still the president in Fallout's timeline, so it's not too far-fetched to think that other cultures developed but simply never took hold in the US.

Of course, this would have to be handled carefully so that it wouldn't conflict too much with the rest of what we know about the Fallout universe.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: June 06, 2015, 02:55:23 pm »

By the way.

Obsidian made New Vegas. Not Bethesda. So saying that the Caeser's Legion issues was because 'Bethesda isn't good at storytelling' is incorrect in this case.

Again. Leaving. This thread is just arguments and pessimism, from what I can see.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: June 06, 2015, 03:04:42 pm »

This thread is just arguments and pessimism, from what I can see.

As someone who's a bit of an optimist myself, I kinda agree.

Isn't it strange how optimists notice how much pessimism there is?
Or does that make Optimists pessimists as well?

edit: In reverse though, pessimists tend to complain about optimists.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2015, 03:08:16 pm by Ultimuh »

Elfeater

• Bay Watcher
  • Max Yeskly the dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: June 06, 2015, 03:12:23 pm »

This thread is just arguments and pessimism, from what I can see.

As someone who's a bit of an optimist myself, I kinda agree.

Isn't it strange how optimists notice how much pessimism there is?
Or does that make Optimists pessimists as well?

edit: In reverse though, pessimists tend to complain about optimists.
But he is also complaining about pessimists.
I for one support our child snatching overlords.
there is a difference between droping red numbers representing magma on Es representing elves, and finding it hot when a girl moans like a retarded seal

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: June 06, 2015, 03:12:26 pm »

I used to be an optimist untill i got an arrow in the knee...
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: June 06, 2015, 03:19:53 pm »

Again. Leaving. This thread is just arguments and pessimism, from what I can see.

Griping isn't pessimism, I feel. It's optimism - we have a vision of how things could turn out better, and from our powerless position we try to make our voices heard and find like-minded individuals through which we can realize actual improvement. Pessimism is the resignation that things won't turn out any better no matter how hard you try. There's plenty of that in here as well, but it's pretty easy to ignore when you begin to think about their complaints in a constructive fashion.

And heck, hype is where you find it. I've managed to hype myself up for a set protagonist, the setting and the potentially better writing from this thread, as well as clear up my own thoughts about the flaws of the previous Fallouts. You just need to not immediately internalize the griping and realize the flaws with many of the more sweeping assertions of the less constructively negative individuals.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2015, 03:29:00 pm by Harry Baldman »

Wimopy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: June 06, 2015, 05:41:35 pm »

I certainly don't think the Legion was bad storytelling. It's just something that has to be cut for this or that. I hope Bethesda aren't rushing this one.

But alright, enough of that, I'll change topic. Anyone knowledgeable in the Fallout universe know anything of post-war Boston? Or what's interesting in pre-war Boston that could come up in the game?
I know it's Massachusetts and it might be interesting to see if the nearby world-leading Unis will come up in some way. I'd also like to see the ocean...
New Thread
Download
Old Thread

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: June 06, 2015, 05:52:01 pm »

Pretty much everything about post-war Boston we know of comes from the Fallout 3 quest The Replicated Man.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: June 06, 2015, 06:00:25 pm »

References to Boston are as far as I know only in Fallout 3 within the aforementioned quest, it being located within something called the Commonwealth and possessing something called the Institute - the Commonwealth is the remnant of Massachusetts while the Institute is the remnant of the MIT, in what is probably a more benign Enclave kind of way. The only thing we really know about the Institute is that it has convincingly human-like androids - human-like enough to occasionally feel kind of down about their enslavement and rebel against their overlords, which they do with the help of the Railroad, a sympathizer organization. I suspect the main plot is likely to revolve around these bits of sparse setting we already know about. Hopefully it'll unfold not dissimilarly to the Pitt (in spirit at least), which actually did moral grayness surprisingly well, to the point where I'd describe it as probably the best of the Fallout 3 DLCs plot and setting-wise.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: June 06, 2015, 06:01:28 pm »

How much you wanna bet we're actually Androids?
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 462