Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 462

Author Topic: Fallout 4: It Just Works  (Read 804498 times)

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout 4: HYPE HAS CHANGED
« Reply #795 on: June 19, 2015, 03:49:46 pm »

You don't choose a name. In the video, you clearly type your name.

If it matches one of the "1000" the robot will say it out loud, otherwise we have to assume it'll be replaced by some generic phrase.

Wimopy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #796 on: June 19, 2015, 04:17:24 pm »

some generic phrase.

"You" - that will be the player's name in that case. Or probably some title, like always.

Or maybe they'll let you pick a name from the list to be called? "Hey, I'm Killermaster, but please call me John"
Now updating the Monster Hunter Universe mod
Current Version: 0.4.95b - Updated June 17, 2015
New Thread
Download
Old Thread

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #797 on: June 20, 2015, 04:06:03 pm »

So the hype has driven me to dig (quite literally) through my boxes of games to find an old copy of Fallout 2. Don't know where F1 went. Anyway, got it loaded and am grabbing the Restoration Project mod and going to grab some beers and go to nostalgia land. Self imposed challenge #1: get Miria and don't let her die or sell her into slavery.

Also, gathering clips of Macho man and Hulk hogan to make the Day 1 mod: WWF Super Mutants. "WHATCHA GONNA DO, BROTHER, WHEN THE MASTERS ARMY COMES FOR YOU?" and "MUTANT MADNESS, SKYS THE LIMIT"
They will also fight each other on sight.
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #798 on: June 20, 2015, 04:21:31 pm »

So the hype has driven me to dig (quite literally) through my boxes of games to find an old copy of Fallout 2. Don't know where F1 went. Anyway, got it loaded and am grabbing the Restoration Project mod and going to grab some beers and go to nostalgia land. Self imposed challenge #1: get Miria and don't let her die or sell her into slavery.

Also, gathering clips of Macho man and Hulk hogan to make the Day 1 mod: WWF Super Mutants. "WHATCHA GONNA DO, BROTHER, WHEN THE MASTERS ARMY COMES FOR YOU?" and "MUTANT MADNESS, SKYS THE LIMIT"
They will also fight each other on sight.

I feel like having anything involving that cunt Bollea mixed with Randy savage at this point would actually qualify as disrespectful to poor Savage.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #799 on: June 21, 2015, 08:52:33 am »

Okay, in response to the reflections on Fallout 3 I went back and played the entire thing unmodded, DLCs and all (Mothership Zeta was pretty bad, the Pitt was pretty good, Operation Anchorage was amusing and the rest I could have very well done without), and realized that playing Fallout 3 in a pragmatically evil, polite fashion is actually pretty fun (although Three Dog, who I did eventually regret not killing, seemed to give off mixed signals when I did do good stuff, like help out Big Town because they're just that pathetic or give the violin to the old lady because there's nothing else I could do with it). Overall, it's much better than I remembered it to be, which is heartening. Thing about Bethesda games is that they hold together in general, as mentioned, but individual elements rarely stand up to a bit of nitpicking, and with more time elapsed since playing the game last the nitpicks tend to pile up.

When I do get my hands on Fallout 4, will probably play that in an evil fashion as well. It's an oddly liberating thing, playing evil. It's especially helped by the fact that a lot of the people in Fallout 3 you really wouldn't mind seeing dead or being victims of tragedy.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2015, 08:58:21 am by Harry Baldman »

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #800 on: June 21, 2015, 09:11:20 am »

Mothership Zeta was pretty bad, the Pitt was pretty good, Operation Anchorage was amusing and the rest I could have very well done without

You...LIKED the PITT? *HOW*? The best thing about that DLC was the silenced assault rifle. Mothership Zeta was downright glorious in comparison to The Pitt.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #801 on: June 21, 2015, 09:26:46 am »

I enjoyed the Pitt's presentation, the general bleakness of the area (also a thing I appreciated in Lonesome Road from NV despite its gruesomely beefed-up enemies), the Steelyard was one of the few areas in Fallout 3 that had a good amount of verticality and overall looked pretty nice, and it actually gave me a decent reason to side with slavers and raiders. It did not overstay its welcome, since it was a pretty short experience (most of which I spent collecting metal ingots in the Steelyard, which I enjoyed as an area, as mentioned). It's a place that was fun to explore, most of all, and it had a reasonably different enemy in the form of the Trog (close to a Feral Ghoul in nature, but with different movements, no weakpoints and so forth - probably helped that I had the Ghoul Mask and hadn't really encountered Feral Ghouls at that point), which was a pleasant change of pace.

Compare it to Mothership Zeta, which comes out of nowhere, has about twice as many areas as it should, most of them largely identical to one another (the Cargo Hold was nice, and I liked the spacewalk as a moment even if it wasn't really a spacewalk, and the MPLX Novasurge was useful when I grew tired of combat in Broken Steel and decided to render it a formality), zero exploration, and has absolutely no meaningful story or thematic connection to the Capital Wasteland.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2015, 09:42:04 am by Harry Baldman »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #802 on: June 21, 2015, 02:38:10 pm »

I hated Mothership Zeta because I couldn't carry back all the loot.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Elfeater

• Bay Watcher
  • Max Yeskly the dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #803 on: June 21, 2015, 02:45:29 pm »

Thoughts on Dead Money then?
I for one support our child snatching overlords.
there is a difference between droping red numbers representing magma on Es representing elves, and finding it hot when a girl moans like a retarded seal

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #804 on: June 21, 2015, 03:03:58 pm »

Not as bad as Honest Hearts?  :P

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #805 on: June 21, 2015, 03:05:13 pm »

I am not enthused by the weapon name "Laser Musket". I think there's a fun play on words there, (IIRC, Musket means light rifle) but it feels a little bit of a forced faction thing. Maybe it'll make since in the lore.

Stats like guns, medicine,  speech, etc, appear to be a thing of  the past. Looking at a bunch of pip-boy freezes, there doesn't seem to be anywhere to put them. The stats pane has a section for status, special, and your 'perk  chart'. Note the phrase 'perk chart', which implies that there may be some additional ordering to perks (Which would make sense if skills were removed, since skills were the original primary qualifiers for perks), and that you get to see all the perks you can get up front. (A changed retained from FO3) I'll have to see how that plays out before I create a strong opinion.

Layered armor looks amazing, and, again from pip-boy stills, it appears to create different DR scores for different parts of your body.  Considering that I loved the patchwork armor that could happen in morrowind, I'm thrilled. I do, however, wonder if there's a practical benefit to armoring different parts of your body to different levels. Does my gun hand get a bonus if there's not too much weight on it? 'Twould be nice, but that's just rampant speculation.

Looking at the footage of the Deathclaw duel, power armor does appear to take sectional damage (the player loses functionality/armor/phlebotinum in the left arm for one part of the clip), and it also has a meter for 'core'. Probably reflecting some kind of energy level. Considering that power armor runs on nuclear fuel cells that were designed to last for hundreds of years, and that it has been hundreds of years since people were making those fuel cells, we may be witnessing a mechanic for scraping the last few hours/days/weeks of life out of nearly inert power cores.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Elfeater

• Bay Watcher
  • Max Yeskly the dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #806 on: June 21, 2015, 04:19:37 pm »

A musket is an un-rifled small arm/long gun, rifling just refers to the "rifling" in the barrels, the spiral grooves on the inside.
A musket would be inaccurate due to the ball bouncing around in the barrel while the rifling makes it much more accurate.
Neither of which really have to do with lasers. Of course rifle has become the go to term for a modern long gun that isn't a shotgun, and laser rifle is already taken. The name laser musket probably refers to the elongated reload of it, but im not sure, probably just a gimmick name for the "Minute Men" main weapon.
I for one support our child snatching overlords.
there is a difference between droping red numbers representing magma on Es representing elves, and finding it hot when a girl moans like a retarded seal

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #807 on: June 21, 2015, 04:57:28 pm »

Where's this about Minute Men and Musket Lasers from? The trailer or the e3 presentation, or did I miss some news?
Love, scriver~

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #808 on: June 21, 2015, 05:01:57 pm »

I've actually heard that there are ways to make it out with all of the loot. Don't ask me how, because I've never done it myself, but there are.
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #809 on: June 21, 2015, 05:04:16 pm »

A musket is an un-rifled small arm/long gun, rifling just refers to the "rifling" in the barrels, the spiral grooves on the inside.
A musket would be inaccurate due to the ball bouncing around in the barrel while the rifling makes it much more accurate.
Neither of which really have to do with lasers. Of course rifle has become the go to term for a modern long gun that isn't a shotgun, and laser rifle is already taken. The name laser musket probably refers to the elongated reload of it, but im not sure, probably just a gimmick name for the "Minute Men" main weapon.
Just wanted to correct this quick.  A musket (or indeed, any other smoothbore; muskets aren't the only type of smoothbores) isn't just inaccurate because the ball is bouncing around in the barrel.  If your calibers don't match by that degree, you've got a pretty awful gun to start with whether it's a smoothbore or rifled, and the fact that this was common in bygone days was independent of the type of barrel, but rather a consequence of the difficulty of precision engineering.  A rifle is more accurate than a smoothbore not because its bullet fits the barrel better, but rather because the rotation imparted to a properly-designed bullet by those spiral grooves you mention induces a gyroscopic force that stabilizes it and causes to fly straight for longer.  I'm pretty sure rifles tend to be more accurate than non-rifled shotguns firing slugs, and it would be for this reason. 
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 462