Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 462

Author Topic: Fallout 4: It Just Works  (Read 803562 times)

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout 4: To Queue or Not To Queue
« Reply #1110 on: July 08, 2015, 12:33:50 am »

I don't get why people are excited over the mobile game, it sounds kinda boring.
To be fair, you do seem to be negative about pretty much everything. ::)

That said, I agree with you about Skyrim. That thing sucked serious arse. I hope FO4 isn't as horribly railroad-y as Skyrim was, although it's a slim hope...
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #1111 on: July 08, 2015, 12:39:30 am »

IMHO Skyrim was fine except for the fact that the combat looked really really stilted and robotic, and that fact that any character with dialog was inexplicably immortal.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1112 on: July 08, 2015, 12:51:57 am »

What killed Skyrim for me was a congregation of several things. First, boobplate. I hate boobplate. Second, the voice acting. Faux nordic accents spoken in a dull, lifeless tone. Third, the magic sucks. Fourth, for all the talk of a civil war there does not seem to be a lot of waring going on. Fifth, the combat is dull and repetitive. Sixth, overpowered stealthing is overpowered. Seventh, the main storyline was meh. Not entirely despicable as some claim, it's just that a lot of the storytelling was dull and lifeless, like the voiceacting.

Given what we've seen of fallout 4's gameplay, I have high hopes in the boobplate (or the lack thereof) department, the combat looks solid, and there's no magic system.

I can't comment on the voiceacting because of how little we've seen of it (though that robot seemed good enough, the protagonist also) and stealthing will probably again be OP.

As for the story, given that this is Bethesda, I predict a story that starts off interesting and builds up a modicum of intrigue or even action but then devolves into trite cliches and plot twists and ends with a far-too-neat-and-predictable a resolution. Surprise, the Institute turns out to be the Enclave. There'll probably be some interesting sidequests tho.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1113 on: July 08, 2015, 12:54:53 am »

What killed Skyrim for me was a congregation of several things ... Third, the magic sucks ...

I think only the highest level spells really sucked significantly
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1114 on: July 08, 2015, 01:01:13 am »

What killed Skyrim for me was a congregation of several things ... Third, the magic sucks ...

I mean the magic sucked on a much more basic level. Because every character can be a mage. This just kills the whole magic system for me. Magic seems underpowered and mundane even as the people around you whinge about how horrible and alien it is. Meanwhile I'm just here with my melee-oriented character flinging around spells that could cause untold devastation.

Ludonarrative Dissonance is what you might call it but I just call it bad use of magic.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #1115 on: July 08, 2015, 01:57:04 am »

That came about as a result of the oversimplification (I'd say consolification but I can't blame everything on consoles.) of the game's RPG elements. Lack of attributes and so forth. You just had to put a few levels into Magicka and use the spells often enough to level them up and you'd be just as effective as any mage.
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1116 on: July 08, 2015, 01:57:47 am »

Yeah, that annoyed me as well. Regardless of what sort of character I made, I inevitably ended up with a swath of utility magic and high Sneak + Archery, even if I was trying to spend my time running around in full plate bashing things with a big chunk of metal.

First, boobplate. I hate boobplate.
Eh? The only vanilla armor that really jumped out at me in that regard was (somewhat amusingly) the Steel Plate set -- the one with the engravings and triangular eye slits. The rest varied from subtle (Glass) to basically unigender (normal Steel).

At any rate even the worst in that regard is better than the, ah, alternative offered by modders, which can be summarized as just plain "boobs".

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1117 on: July 08, 2015, 02:00:26 am »

I mean the magic sucked on a much more basic level. Because every character can be a mage. This just kills the whole magic system for me. Magic seems underpowered and mundane even as the people around you whinge about how horrible and alien it is. Meanwhile I'm just here with my melee-oriented character flinging around spells that could cause untold devastation.

Ludonarrative Dissonance is what you might call it but I just call it bad use of magic.

They should have lampshaded it as a dragonborn thing. Your character is explicitly a larger than life figure of destiny and shit
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1118 on: July 08, 2015, 02:16:46 am »

Yeah, that annoyed me as well. Regardless of what sort of character I made, I inevitably ended up with a swath of utility magic and high Sneak + Archery, even if I was trying to spend my time running around in full plate bashing things with a big chunk of metal.

First, boobplate. I hate boobplate.
Eh? The only vanilla armor that really jumped out at me in that regard was (somewhat amusingly) the Steel Plate set -- the one with the engravings and triangular eye slits. The rest varied from subtle (Glass) to basically unigender (normal Steel).

At any rate even the worst in that regard is better than the, ah, alternative offered by modders, which can be summarized as just plain "boobs".
It still niggles at my brain because that's not how armor works dammit. It's petty complaints like these that pretty much prevent me from playing vanilla Skyrim.

Now if only there was a mod that replaced all the voiceacting in the game with people who actually gave a crap.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 04:36:42 am by Krevsin »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1119 on: July 08, 2015, 03:56:02 am »

Yeah, I getcha.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1120 on: July 08, 2015, 05:12:37 am »

Yup, Skyrim-level (and TES-level) boobplate is usually not egregious enough to put me off, though it did keep ne from using the Plate Armour with my female characters. I mostly used item-mods that didn't add boob-platey armours as well (or at least enough non-boobylicious ones that I could forget the annoying ones).

Anyway, speaking of armours: Can anyone remind me whether customization was confirmed for armours that isn't power armour? I think I saw some concept art that hinted at it, but I can't remember beyond that.
Love, scriver~

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1121 on: July 08, 2015, 05:24:16 am »

Apparently there's a layered armor system in place so you can armor different parts of your body differently.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1122 on: July 08, 2015, 05:28:39 am »

I hope it's good stuff. And that they keep that in for TESVI.
Love, scriver~

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #1123 on: July 08, 2015, 05:47:17 am »

On Skyrim magic: I found that literally any destruction spell was never used, because they are always underpowered. ALWAYS. This has been true in previous Elder Scrolls games as well of course, but at least in Oblivion I could use it instantly giving it a utility as a quick and cheap ranged attack that didn't make me switch weapons.

Having to use your hand slots for magic REALLY fucked over all chances of me using it regularly. I mean I still use some of the utility stuff, I heal up after battles, but using magic in combat is absurdly clunky in Skyrim.
In Oblivion it was slash slash block "oh theres a guy at range" fireball slash block slash.
In Skyrim the same thing would go like slash....fiddle around with the "quickmenu"...block....more fiddling...fireba...oh wait it was interrupted because all fucking spells that aren't a flamethrower have to be charged like a fucking Kamehameha!
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1124 on: July 08, 2015, 06:03:26 am »

Eh, I played a destruction mage from start to finish several times in skyrim and never had that much trouble. Vanilla gets a bit rough later on but with a few mods magic scales just fine. I also played a hybrid once where I used illusion and destruction magic to supplement combat. Normally had sword in one hand and a fireball or something in the other.
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 462