Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 134 135 [136] 137 138 ... 462

Author Topic: Fallout 4: It Just Works  (Read 803562 times)

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout 4: Charm Drugs with your Charisma
« Reply #2025 on: September 30, 2015, 11:41:24 pm »

Y'know, I didn't hate FO3's story. It was just...Honestly, there was cooler things to do in the wasteland. Like EXPLORE EVERYTHIIIINNNGGGGG
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #2026 on: September 30, 2015, 11:52:08 pm »

Because in FO3 you were one of the few people able to brave the capital wasteland at all, an established badass.  Plus the main NPC is *your father* so it makes sense that you'd be involved if you wanted to be.

In NV you're in the middle of 2 massive armies conducting a *war*, and you're a freakin courier.  Basically a civilian, in a setting so civilized that people waste their time playing slot machines and wearing stupid clothes.  Until you start hitting DLCs, there's really not much special about you.  Even Mr House doesn't really have any reason to pick you, despite the prior business.  And yet, ironically, the main quest is much more in-your-face than the FO3 one.

It's kind of implied that many pf Mojave Express' couriers are really badass and that they carry stuff through much less civilized areas as well. Look at Ulysses from Lonesome Road, he's the toughest boss in the whole game. He's tougher than Dr.Mobius' giant robot radscorpion! He also seems to have some sort of influence over a very dangerous tribe of semi-feral ghouls.

EDIT:
The real main issue with FNV's main quest is that if you play the game anything like I do then the main villain dies rather early on and so after that the main quest seems rather pointless (It's quite possible to sneak onto fortification hill uninvited and that's what I do)

Furthermore, there's also the issue that Mr.House is an asshole, yet at the same time not so big of an asshole or so lacking in redeeming qualities that he deserves to die; this makes pretty much all of the possible endings rather unappealing.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 12:00:41 am by Bohandas »
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2027 on: October 01, 2015, 01:33:37 am »

Couriers are expected to be badasses. They gotta deliver shit across the Wasteland. That's hardcore... Plus, 'The Courier' has a fucking wonderful ring to it.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Wimopy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2028 on: October 01, 2015, 07:20:32 am »

Couriers are expected to be badasses. They gotta deliver shit across the Wasteland. That's hardcore... Plus, 'The Courier' has a fucking wonderful ring to it.

Except that one courier in Primm, who, quite unlike you, didn't survive a shot in the head. And he wasn't even attacked by Great Khans and a Chairman, but some escaped prisoners. Of course the prisoners were all pretty bad guys, but nothing a courier shouldn't come across while delivering packages in the Mojave.
Now updating the Monster Hunter Universe mod
Current Version: 0.4.95b - Updated June 17, 2015
New Thread
Download
Old Thread

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2029 on: October 01, 2015, 07:23:44 am »

Couriers aren't really that "badass" in the Fallout universe.

They go on established and safe roads and generally speaking aren't given important packages, so bandits have no real reason to rob them.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2030 on: October 01, 2015, 07:37:11 am »

None of the roads seemed particularly safe to me. :V
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2031 on: October 01, 2015, 07:39:06 am »

Go North if you want to be eviscarated by Deathclaws.
Go South if you want to be shot to bits by various raiders or eaten by ants.

Me: But what if I climb over this mountai-
Game: Can't let you do that.

Wimopy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2032 on: October 01, 2015, 08:27:00 am »

Go North if you want to be eviscarated by Deathclaws.
Go South if you want to be shot to bits by various raiders or eaten by ants.

Me: But what if I climb over this mountai-
Game: Can't let you do that.

Not quite sure which mountain you're thinking about, but I tried going straight to New Vegas - Radscorpions.
And Black Mountain has Nightkin.
Then there's Sloan/Quarry Junction in the way either way.

So yeah, your choice:
-Road with Cazadores/Deathclaws
-Road with Geckos and Raiders
-Offroad, with Geckos/Cazadores/Deathclaws/Radscorpions/Raiders/BoS/NCR/Legion/Anything

And that's not even mentioning that the area around New Vegas has tons of raiders as well.

About NV's (main) story:
"You get things done. I like you. Join me or I hate you." or "You failed to get something done. Correct it. Join me or I hate you."
There's no option to say "Fuck it, I did my job. I'm a courier. You want a package delivered, pay me. Otherwise, I'm gone."
And New Vegas really doesn't look like it's worth anything. It feels... cramped, but empty. The lights work, but they're not at all impressive. As a whole, it just feels small. I know it's mostly because of consoles that they had to reduce people count and break up NV into even smaller parts (I believe the whole of Freeside was one area, there's a mod that 'restores' that), but this way it's all unimpressive.
There's whole Mojave/West is at stake thing, but you really don't get a feel for what all that entails. At least I didn't come across much that details what there actually is out there. Is the fate of millions at hand? How do they live? How much will be lost to the Legion if they win at the dam?
It all feels vague, distant and meaningless, but still gets forced on you.

FO3 did the involvement a bit better. You're thrown out a Vault and have nothing to do but try and find your father. The whole Project Purity thing is quite far-fetched, but during your travels you actually see the Wasteland you can change. The prospect is bringing water back. All those empty places could be filled with plants if this goes well! It's not a change of who governs empty plots, but what lives in the Wasteland. Also, it's your father and your mother's greatest dream and accomplishment. Might as well do it for that (or go beyond and go for destroying most life, but purifying life).

Actually, in this way, I think FO4 might work. It's pretty good that you know (or can dictate) the backstory of the main character, not just get thrown into the body of a man with an unknown backstory who knows things or doesn't, but you have no idea what's going on.
Now updating the Monster Hunter Universe mod
Current Version: 0.4.95b - Updated June 17, 2015
New Thread
Download
Old Thread

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2033 on: October 01, 2015, 08:37:12 am »

I think it's a little back-and-forth. Bethesda did pretty good work on FO3's story, but there's all of two major factions and only one of them you can join. Obsidian spent less time on the story of FNV (but it's still pretty good if you ask me), but there's... How many factions? 25? And you can join a bunch of them.
Personally, I prefer NV because it's my first.
Black lives matter.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2034 on: October 01, 2015, 08:47:08 am »

Well factions were more like clubs.

The two real factions of new vegas were the NCR who were a nessisary evil... and the Evil Roman Nazis with incredibly inconsistent tones because they weren't MEANT to be the evil choice, but it is like they had two different writers.

Ohh and I guess Vegas itself... but it wasn't so much a faction so much as the "Screw NCR and the Evil Roman Nazis" choice.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2035 on: October 01, 2015, 09:07:03 am »

In NV you're in the middle of 2 massive armies conducting a *war*, and you're a freakin courier.  Basically a civilian, in a setting so civilized that people waste their time playing slot machines and wearing stupid clothes.  Until you start hitting DLCs, there's really not much special about you.  Even Mr House doesn't really have any reason to pick you, despite the prior business.  And yet, ironically, the main quest is much more in-your-face than the FO3 one.
The NCR really has no excuse for wanting the Courier, but Cesar will outright say that you getting shot in the head, rising from your grave and tracking the shooter across the entire desert got his attention. Mr House is likely the same thing, as well as you proving better than his previous second-in-command (Benny).

There's no option to say "Fuck it, I did my job. I'm a courier. You want a package delivered, pay me. Otherwise, I'm gone."
You sort of can demand a raise in your delivery fee from House, though, yeah, there is no option to just walk away that still advances the story.

and the Evil Roman Nazis with incredibly inconsistent tones because they weren't MEANT to be the evil choice, but it is like they had two different writers.
More like got nearly their entire half of the map cut out. There was supposed to be a lot of stuff to the east of the river that never got included, which is a shame.

Truth be told, Bethesda is more than capable of building a compelling story (see The Pitt), it's just that they often don't for some reason.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #2036 on: October 01, 2015, 09:29:49 am »

I would totally love a game where I'm not the saviour of mankind but instead do something that is fucking cool (let's say being a courier (postman?) in post-apocalypic world) and involves lot's of hazards, possibly saving some city by delivering messages or even helping it defend from something, but in the end you're just doing your job. Or maybe a Witcher game where you play younger Geralt aka you don't save fucking world but go around and kill stuff for money.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #2037 on: October 01, 2015, 11:16:17 am »

Truth be told, Bethesda is more than capable of building a compelling story (see The Pitt)
LOLNO

I would totally love a game where I'm not the saviour of mankind but instead do something that is fucking cool (let's say being a courier (postman?) in post-apocalypic world) and involves lot's of hazards, possibly saving some city by delivering messages or even helping it defend from something, but in the end you're just doing your job. Or maybe a Witcher game where you play younger Geralt aka you don't save fucking world but go around and kill stuff for money.
Hilariously this is SORTA what they were going for with Oblivion. I remember somewhere they specifically said that they were trying to move away from "you are the chosen one"
So naturally they instead made you the personal chauffeur of The Chosen One.
And then made you do everything else too.

Oblivion is basically you playing the Badass Butler of The Chosen One, which is kinda cool in its own way, if perhaps somewhathorrendously mishandled.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2038 on: October 01, 2015, 11:28:55 am »

I don't care about the plot as long its not super terrible or super short, all I want is a game with a decently sized open world and that doesn't try to stop me from using vertical terrain all the damn time. Even new vegas had mountains that your character could totally cross but had arbitrary invisible walls so you don't end up walking where the devs don't want you to, and also actual buildings and stuff that I can climb on top of.

And maybe a sneaking system that consists of more than just crouching and a melee combat system that entails more than hitting the enemy repeately with the same attacks until it dies.

So far Fallout 4 seems able to deliver part of these things, so I'm happy for now.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 11:32:09 am by TempAcc »
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2039 on: October 01, 2015, 03:15:52 pm »

Truth be told, Bethesda is more than capable of building a compelling story (see The Pitt)
LOLNO

I think Morrowind was pretty compelling.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive
Pages: 1 ... 134 135 [136] 137 138 ... 462