Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 205 206 [207] 208 209 ... 462

Author Topic: Fallout 4: It Just Works  (Read 804408 times)

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout 4: THE HYPE TRAIN HAS REACHED ITS DESTINATION
« Reply #3090 on: November 11, 2015, 01:33:13 pm »

So very much less restrictive than ME.
Nope.

Only ever 4 options. Always 4 options. Never more, never less. No "Ask about" subsection either. Just top option is always ask about thing, then about another thing, then about another, in linear fashion until topics run out. If you missed something you cannot reask besides the last question.

It's become a way better acton game, but a worse RPG. Two steps forward, one step back and all that.

Sirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3091 on: November 11, 2015, 01:37:08 pm »

I managed to exceed the population limit for Sanctuary and I think it borked the game. The stats on it keep jumping around like it doesn't know what's going on any more.

The population, beds, and happiness figures just change randomly every time I check it.

I've played about 24 hours now and I still haven't gone into Diamond City yet or seen it. All I've been doing is building settlements. The "no bed" bug is a huge source of headaches though. It refuses to assign beds properly.

Also I went from level 15 to 21 not fighting a single thing...

Uh well at that point your best bet is probably to reload an earlier save...

By the way, I heard that your residents tend to jump inside your power armor if there is a hostile in the settlement, with an unpleasant tendency to bug the whole thing and turn into weird monstrosities. So I suggest everyone to keep their armor in a place where it won't be "borrowed".

So very much less restrictive than ME.
Nope.

Only ever 4 options. Always 4 options. Never more, never less. No "Ask about" subsection either. Just top option is always ask about thing, then about another thing, then about another, in linear fashion until topics run out. If you missed something you cannot reask besides the last question.

It's become a way better acton game, but a worse RPG. Two steps forward, one step back and all that.

One thing you can do to circumvent that is to step out of the conversation and re-initiate it. It should restart from the beginning, allowing you to choose other options. Also some options seem to be able to branch out the dialogue tree, even if I agree that most of the time it's really linear.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3092 on: November 11, 2015, 01:39:08 pm »

I managed to exceed the population limit for Sanctuary and I think it borked the game. The stats on it keep jumping around like it doesn't know what's going on any more.

The population, beds, and happiness figures just change randomly every time I check it.

I've played about 24 hours now and I still haven't gone into Diamond City yet or seen it. All I've been doing is building settlements. The "no bed" bug is a huge source of headaches though. It refuses to assign beds properly.

Also I went from level 15 to 21 not fighting a single thing...

Uh well at that point your best bet is probably to reload an earlier save...

By the way, I heard that your residents tend to jump inside your power armor if there is a hostile in the settlement, with an unpleasant tendency to bug the whole thing and turn into weird monstrosities. So I suggest everyone to keep their armor in a place where it won't be "borrowed".

Wat. Screw that. That armor is for my use! Thanks for the info. Putting my shit on top of a tower.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3093 on: November 11, 2015, 01:59:58 pm »

It would be hilarious to see Mama Murphy in my red-paint, flame decal power armor throwing death on raiders.

Settelements definitely have some weirdness in them. In my case, Sanctuary stopped receiving new people and stopped at 7 for many hours. I even setup another beacon to see if the effects stack.
I have beds, food and water to support 14+ people, around 35 defence. No one wants to be my slave friend.
I've setup a supply link to the farm-settlement nearby to see if I can put a beacon there and if people will spawn in it.
I'm 1 level from building shops, it will be really sad if it doesn't work anymore. I'll have to build other settlements, recruit people there, and move them all to Sanctuary.

I also like how some locations are "secret settlements" (only if you're blind, like I sometimes am), which enables you to scrap a good amount of stuff. Some really neat locations, too.

And about the reviews.. well, while people rate the game 2/10 and rage on for obvious stuff, I'm looking forward to fixes, improvements and mods. Most of us already knew what we would get. This sounds incredibly stupid to me: the game is fun, I only experienced very few bugs in almost 20 hours of gameplay, and WHAT THE FUCK WHERE DID THAT RADSCORPION CAME FROM? ...Yep, everything is as good as I wanted.

I don't like the linearity of dialogs, but I prefer it much better than the old camera-lock-big-menu. And I don't feel like I'm missing any info when talking, either.
The only thing that's really bad and should be improved are the settlement placement controls. They need to put some modifier keys that lets you rotate faster, rotate to right angles, etc. Setting a perimeter around Sanctuary was a masochist experience. Build buildings is also annoying because you have to rotate it perfectly, otherwise it'll expand on the wrong direction.

And did anyone bump into an assassin-bot that's rather ninja and fires an epic laser through his eye? I had very little HP, was on power armor, didn't even see him and he murdered me. Then I couldn't find him after I reloaded. Had a skull on its name, roaming around. Looked pretty cool.

EDIT: Someone said they haven't seen raiders attacking settlements. I only saw they attack a place that didn't had the proper defence score.
They didn't attack Sanctuary in my game yet, either because it's bugged or because I keep the defence score twice higher than necessary.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 02:04:01 pm by Gabeux »
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3094 on: November 11, 2015, 02:15:22 pm »

Settelements definitely have some weirdness in them. In my case, Sanctuary stopped receiving new people and stopped at 7 for many hours. I even setup another beacon to see if the effects stack.
I have beds, food and water to support 14+ people, around 35 defence. No one wants to be my slave friend.
I've setup a supply link to the farm-settlement nearby to see if I can put a beacon there and if people will spawn in it.
I'm 1 level from building shops, it will be really sad if it doesn't work anymore. I'll have to build other settlements, recruit people there, and move them all to Sanctuary.
I don't really understand it either. I did what you did. I made a bunch of radio towers and asked everyone to move to Sanctuary. Now there's 21 people in Sanctuary and 10 everywhere else. I think the game just dice rolls after a certain amount of time to see whether you get a new settler or not. By the way, stacking radio towers don't work. I did it at Sanctuary and it didn't do anything.

With the other places, they'd be at 0 or 1 for the longest time. Then I'd do something for a bit then check and it'd be 6 out of nowhere and I have to rush there and build a bunch of stuff.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3095 on: November 11, 2015, 02:20:13 pm »

Is there any console coomand for unlocking locks? As locks dont show up in unlocking minigame.

unlock

motorbitch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3096 on: November 11, 2015, 02:26:17 pm »

i think the new dialoge system indeed is troublesome. not because the 4 options, thats actually fine with me.
the problem i have, is that my choices always are shown in like 2-3 words, then i have to guess what i will say if i pick a certain choice.
i can handle it tho, by restarting the conversation, or save scumming if necessary,
after all, the system allows me to make my choices, and lets me decide if i want to do something and for whom. anything more is an illusion in any computer rpg. after all, i will always be limeted to pick a line someone else has written for me.

as for vats: yeah screw that. never used it in any f3+. i still need the attributes tho. agi for stealth and perks, perception for perks.
speaking of attributes, f4 is the first fallout where i do not use charisma as a dump stat.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3097 on: November 11, 2015, 02:28:22 pm »

My video card keeps crashing ("display driver stopped responding and has recovered"). It is an extremely imprecise error message so I have no idea if its a problem with BIOS settings, PSU, overheating, bad motherboard, bad RAM, bad card, or god knows what. No idea how to diagnose it.

I've had the problem intermittently with other games but happens with high frequency in FO4. Like, I'll rarely get more than an hour, maybe less than 30 minutes, into a session before it happens. If I try to reload the game immediately and continue playing it may happen again in less than that time. That leads me to suspect overheating (or some other issue resulting from taxing the card) but, again, no idea how to really diagnose it.

Leyic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3098 on: November 11, 2015, 02:35:33 pm »

The trouble with the dialog system (not the camera) is what it means for modding: one can't just tack on new dialog options to existing characters; they'd all have to fit in the four-choices-at-a-time system. Maybe someone can mod in a list based system like in Skyrim, but then that would become yet another "essential" mod for anyone playing a heavily modded FO4.

What was the last AAA game you tried to play where your integrated graphics card cut it?
I only have Intel HD 4600 integrated graphics and I've been playing Fallout 4 just fine. At low settings (except maximum actor view distance) I get 15-25 fps outdoors. I can feel the frames sometimes, but it's never been bad enough where I wanted to quit. Basically the same goes for Shadow of Mordor, Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes, and Elder Scrolls Online (in PvP no less). So integrated graphics can be sufficient if they're fast enough and you don't require the game to be glitzy and silky smooth.

Granted, the person you're responding to says they have Intel HD (no number) graphics, which is quite a bit slower than HD 4600, so they might not find FO4 playable.

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3099 on: November 11, 2015, 02:37:25 pm »

i think the new dialoge system indeed is troublesome. not because the 4 options, thats actually fine with me.
the problem i have, is that my choices always are shown in like 2-3 words, then i have to guess what i will say if i pick a certain choice.
I always wondered why more games with the dialog-wheel system didn't do what DE:HR did and let you mouse (or, uh, control stick) over the option to see what the full text would be. It's such a simple fix for what is easily the dialog wheel's biggest flaw that it's hard to believe any game since wouldn't use it unless Eidos patented it or some bullshit
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3100 on: November 11, 2015, 02:47:28 pm »

If at the very least they had the sort of talk it is... They do it sometimes, for being sarcastic...

Do they do that when the batteries are out?
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #3101 on: November 11, 2015, 02:51:05 pm »

The trouble with the dialog system (not the camera) is what it means for modding: one can't just tack on new dialog options to existing characters; they'd all have to fit in the four-choices-at-a-time system. Maybe someone can mod in a list based system like in Skyrim, but then that would become yet another "essential" mod for anyone playing a heavily modded FO4.

What was the last AAA game you tried to play where your integrated graphics card cut it?
I only have Intel HD 4600 integrated graphics and I've been playing Fallout 4 just fine. At low settings (except maximum actor view distance) I get 15-25 fps outdoors. I can feel the frames sometimes, but it's never been bad enough where I wanted to quit. Basically the same goes for Shadow of Mordor, Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes, and Elder Scrolls Online (in PvP no less). So integrated graphics can be sufficient if they're fast enough and you don't require the game to be glitzy and silky smooth.

Granted, the person you're responding to says they have Intel HD (no number) graphics, which is quite a bit slower than HD 4600, so they might not find FO4 playable.

With Integrated cards, usually it's not raw horsepower that's the issue. It's whether it's DX(whatever) compatible, or can access some feature that's vital to running the game, like a pixel shader or something. It's generally a crap shoot whether your integrated card will work period with a modern AAA game or not. Some integrated cards, such as the HD 4600, are intended for gaming laptops and are usually can access enough features for it to at least run. However to the average consumer who just goes out and buys a laptop, hoping it will run new games, the distinction is easy to miss.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 02:52:49 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

motorbitch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout 4: A Bethesda Game
« Reply #3102 on: November 11, 2015, 02:55:07 pm »

well, not having the whole line written  out actually seems like a smart idea to me.
it always annoyed me to have the actor speaking the same thin i just read after i read it. thats borring.
in this the very short system of fo4 actually is an improvement for my taste.
still, sometimes its a bit vague what an option means. maybe they missed the sweet spot just a little bit.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout 4: A Bethesda Game
« Reply #3103 on: November 11, 2015, 02:58:18 pm »

More than a bit.  I thought about politely informing someone they were incorrect; the game had me call them a dumbass.  I ask one question, and my character asks another.  Maybe I'm just oblivious, but outside of very broad strokes, I've had trouble on more than one occasion trying to translate one to two word blurbs into multiple sentences and beyond.  I mean, I had the occasional issue with the Mass Effect dialog wheel, but this is a bit worse.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3104 on: November 11, 2015, 02:58:53 pm »

Not gonna spoil anything (just hint at things, though there might be some, but unless your internet was off or you didn't look at the features, you'll know the features anyway)

But after playing both a female and a male, I doubt I'll ever play a female in this game. I don't enjoy my female character at all. usually (not always) i go with a female character in games (didn't like males at all in skyrim, nor fallout 3 or new vegas), depending on what genre of game, races and how the males look, amongst factors. But in this case, the female doesn't really fit the pacing and world that bethesda made because of her backstory.

the male however fits so much better. The females previous job wasn't a combat job at all, it wasn't even leading people, and in the game you suddenly go to building a settlement (which doesn't fit her at all)

the male's previous job however fits perfectly. I mean, his current job in present times (in the game) isn't really very different from what he was doing before. It makes sense for him to suddenly go in and start ramboing it up against raiders (not so much the female) and I can see him building a safe haven as well.

The female, its way too jarring playing as one. A backstory of no attacking or anything, suddenly going into power armor, big guns...building a settlement...fits so much more with the male due to his backstory before the bombs fell.

after going back to my male character, I'm enjoying the game a lot more ;P Even if its just a backstory and doesn't really effect the game, its still part of it and kind of very jarring knowing what it is and knowing everything I was doing on the female didn't fit her at all.
Alternate start mod is a requirement when I get this.  And then I'll be like: "Huh, when did I get a kid?"
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation
Pages: 1 ... 205 206 [207] 208 209 ... 462