Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 237 238 [239] 240 241 ... 462

Author Topic: Fallout 4: It Just Works  (Read 804443 times)

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout 4: Occiderunt, Diripientur, Redii
« Reply #3570 on: November 16, 2015, 09:13:52 pm »

excuse this, but

>cRPG players
>too much looting
Yeah, there is no such thing as too much loot in cRPGs. Hell, games like Diablo and Borderlands are built around the whole concept of killing stuff for loot.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3571 on: November 16, 2015, 09:19:51 pm »

Actually if you just make supply links, build the basic needs (16 beds, 16 mutfruits, 6 pumps, ~40 defence score) and the beacon, then forget about it and play normally, it will fill slowly eventually.
You can also just put beacons on all your available settlements (link them for easier building) without providing full needs (if you're low os resources, as we all are most of the time  :P) then keep checking and sending them to the desired settlement.

After you fill up your main one, there's usually no need to send people around, since at that point you probably will have 5+ other ones and I doubt anyone will be interested in that much fast-travelling and baby-sitting for every single settlement.

But to directly answer the question, it simply can be really slow sometimes. Power and shops helps, some people say decorations do too.. I didn't see that much difference regarding decorations and power, though - but it seemed to help me get past 75%.
Building sheltered beds provide more happiness than non-sheltered ones. Higher than necessary defence scores also help.
However, even if I did all that, my happiness never got past 81. Did anyone manage to get more than that?

EDIT: I just read that higher Charisma means more settlers. Each point of charisma equals +1 settler, which probably means that higher attainable happiness levels.
I can't play for a few days, but I'll try that out and up my charisma at my next level up to see if that holds.
The count thing seems true, though. I have 6 charisma and my cap is at 16.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 09:25:19 pm by Gabeux »
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Sirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3572 on: November 16, 2015, 11:19:45 pm »

ah, one tip: its a realy good idea to have water purification and a generator to power it. it actually will produce purified water directly into your workbench stockpile, and that stuff is not only free healing, it also sells quite well.

Actually, any cheap water pump will produce purified water in your workshop. I think that the production needs to be above your population count.

But I don't really recommend using it for healing, considering the weight. Also you can heal by working the water pump (or just sleep 1 hour).

On the topic of production, I found that if you have a brahmin (like in the abernathy farm), it will produce fertilizer. I'm not sure if fertilizer has any use besides making jet, but hey, jet is good money. I'm not sure how to get brahmins though.

Edit : oh and I was quite happy that there was no level scaling, until I noticed that traders will upgrade what wares they are selling as you level up :/ (at least the traveling ones, one of them sells armor, when I met him first it was mostly leather and a few metal parts, but now he's selling combat armor)
« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 11:26:05 pm by Sirian »

motorbitch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3573 on: November 16, 2015, 11:28:49 pm »

ha! thanks for the jet tip :)
water for healing isnt bad i think. i usually take some 20 with me if i go out, thats usually enough and if not, i take some stimpacks.
water is free after all (i always got more junk then i can sell anyway).

i just learned that i missunderstood size completely.
untill now, i just scrapped all the shit to fill my raw materials. i thought smaller size was better, and that a full size would indicate that my settlement was just littered.
turns out, the stuff thats green with active building interface increases size, no matter where its placed inside the settlement. yellow stuff does not.
im very sure now that more size will produce more happyness, im not sure if more size will also increase settler limit. i would so some science on this to test it, but i cant. im  to fuckin lazy and i dont care enough.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3574 on: November 16, 2015, 11:36:01 pm »

The trader stock is almost always behind what you've found for yourself, though. I've got a mostly complete set of Heavy Combat Armor and it's still rare to see a Sturdy piece in a shop.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3575 on: November 16, 2015, 11:46:47 pm »

On the topic of production, I found that if you have a brahmin (like in the abernathy farm), it will produce fertilizer. I'm not sure if fertilizer has any use besides making jet, but hey, jet is good money. I'm not sure how to get brahmins though.
Brahmin can be "built" by crafting Brahmin troughs. They won't appear immediately, and I'm not sure of the limits, but I had one sitting around after I made a few.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

Sirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3576 on: November 17, 2015, 12:58:08 am »

Brahmin can be "built" by crafting Brahmin troughs. They won't appear immediately, and I'm not sure of the limits, but I had one sitting around after I made a few.

Ah, good to know, I had tried building the trough but since I couldn't assign someone to it, and waiting a bit + fast travel didn't make a brahmin appear, I thought you needed to buy the brahmin somewhere further down the road.

I don't remember if I've seen this tip in here or not, so just in case : if you can shoot the fusion core from an enemy in Power Armor with the VATS (it doesn't seem to work outside of VATS), there is a good chance he'll eject the core (take cover 'cause it'll explode), and leave the armor. On my first try, I unloaded a few bullets in it, and I think that made it explode too fast because the raider didn't leave the armor. On my second try, a single 10mm bullet did the trick. Just stay clear of the area for a bit, because it'll give off some radiation for a minute (like when cars explode).

Anyways, that seems like a good way to get more power armor frames; although to be honest, there is no need for more than one frame, maybe two if you're using companions, but hey, many people like collecting power armor, and I'm no exception. ^^

Edit : Ok so after a bit of testing and research, it seems that you can also pickpocket the fusion core for the same result (I couldn't do it myself, my sneaking wasn't good enough). The person will exit the armor only if they survive the core explosion. And the armor will be considered stolen. The option to enter it reads "Steal" instead of "Enter". Since I don't like that, I think I won't bother getting frames this way.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2015, 01:17:48 am by Sirian »

motorbitch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3577 on: November 17, 2015, 01:15:15 am »

so, i had some performance issues with this game.
it could be related to the fact that i only have 6 gigs of ram, not 8 as the minimum requirements want. however, the taskmanager never showed more then 70% memory load, so i somehow doubt thats the reason. also, i just kept lowering the details till the game looked like a geezer ass, and it still lagged like hell.
because that realy bothered me, so i did some googlefu and  was able to completely fix it for me.  i now can run the game with almost maxed settings and mostly staedy 60fps, and even my fps drops a few frames, the game stays smooth.
anything i did should apply to different cards as well, and from what i read during my research, the problems i had show even with much more system / Vram.

description of the problem as percived by me:

- microstuttering and laggy gameplay as soon as the fps droped even slightly below vsync, resulting in unsatisfying gameplay even with 50+ fps
- after loading a level, it took a long time (30s or even longer) untill all textures where loaded in full resolution, while the game reasembled the look of doom III

steps taken by me to fix these problems:

turn off vsync:

open documents/my games/fallout4/fallout4prefs.ini
iPresentInterval=1 to iPresentInterval=1
now, fps has to be limeted to 60 fps or the game will glitch out. use your favorite tweak utility to do that, amd drivers also offer a setting within the catalyst suite directly (performance - framerate, game has to be in fullscreen or it wont work)
if you cant be bothered by this, you can leave vsync on. it still will produce some microstuttering sometimes due to the limitations of the engine, but the next steps are much more important anynow, and will prevent most frame drops in the first place.

tweak the config files to allow the game to use more memory as texture chache and cach a wider game areal

fallout4.ini: delete everything but the first line beteween  [General] and [ScreenSplatter] and replace it with:

uGridsToLoad=7 /[5/36, 7/64 , 9/100, 11/144]
uExterior Cell Buffer=64
bDisableAllGore=0
bPreemptivelyUnloadCells=0
iPreloadSizeLimit=2097152000
bUseHardDriveCache=0
bUseBackgroundFileLoader=1
bSelectivePurgeUnusedOnFastTravel=1

-this will allow the engine to use a bigger memory cache, and also will allow the engine to cach a wider area. this should remove most frame rate drops that are caused by texture streaming.

reduce shadow resolution to free some Vram:

fallout4prefs.ini find:

iShadowMapResolution=2048 change to: iShadowMapResolution=512

fallout4.ini find:

iShadowMapResolutionPrimary=2048 and change to iShadowMapResolutionPrimary=512

-to my taste, this also looks better. sharp shadows of small distant objects like leaves and brances dont look real.

hope that helps.

important note:
results may vary. back up your files. dont just blindly fuck with the settings in fallout.ini under [General]. most settings there are related to each other, and changing one line often makes it necessary to change other lines, too. if you want to use different settings i suggest you do your own googlefu first. (should not be to hard to find)

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3578 on: November 17, 2015, 06:21:03 am »

Well then, the difficulty certainly ramps up if you stray too far off the beaten path.
Maybe it wouldn't be so noticeable if my current character was some sneaky long-range sniper type... but it's hard being a hamfisted brawler when just about everything you come up against gibs you in a couple of hits. :P I reckon my next session will involve a lot of getting the fuck outta dodge.

Fuck mirelurks, ghouls were bad enough- I need a vacation.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #3579 on: November 17, 2015, 06:22:48 am »

Well then, the difficulty certainly ramps up if you stray too far off the beaten path.
Maybe it wouldn't be so noticeable if my current character was some sneaky long-range sniper type... but it's hard being a hamfisted brawler when just about everything you come up against gibs you in a couple of hits. :P I reckon my next session will involve a lot of getting the fuck outta dodge.

You could always try to buff toughness and that refractor perk, then see if you can get that one skill that gives you better defence when running.
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3580 on: November 17, 2015, 06:33:18 am »

Oh, I probably could keep on surviving in this high-level area if I tried hard enough.
It's kind of getting tiresome being low on chems, low on ammo and loaded up with piles of heavy-arse loot, though. I'll come back to this area sometime, probably soon.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Stuebi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3581 on: November 17, 2015, 06:38:08 am »

Okay, I just finished the Main Story. And boy, what a dissapointment.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'm probably gonna finish up some more stuff around the world, cheat around a little bit for sh*ts and giggles and then do a new run on a harder Difficulty. Probably as a sneaky Cannibal instead of a walking tank.
English isnt my mother language, so feel free to correct me if I make a mistake in my post.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3582 on: November 17, 2015, 09:00:23 am »

Okay, I just finished the Main Story. And boy, what a dissapointment.

It was made by Bethesda... You need to set your standards quite low when it comes to main storylines.

I am trying to think of an exception (well in modern times... I didn't play Daggerfall or Morrowind so I am not going to look back that far) and frankly... if I discount DLC, I can't think of any game that was different in this respect. Including DLC then New Vegas was passable.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2015, 09:19:18 am by Neonivek »

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3583 on: November 17, 2015, 09:45:30 am »

Even for a sniper, trying to take down an Alpha Deathclaw at around level 15 involves a ton of patience and ammo. It also requires a high place it can't get to.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3584 on: November 17, 2015, 09:46:44 am »

That is unfortunately what a LOT of it requires if you aren't immediately going for a combat build.

I made the unfortunate choice of going for "everything I need NOW!!!" versus going for survivability off the bat.
Pages: 1 ... 237 238 [239] 240 241 ... 462