Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 372 373 [374] 375 376 ... 462

Author Topic: Fallout 4: It Just Works  (Read 804270 times)

ZebioLizard2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout 4: It Just Works
« Reply #5595 on: March 17, 2016, 07:26:38 am »

The only cut one I can think of off the bat was joining the Think Tank.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5596 on: March 17, 2016, 08:26:10 am »

NV is less about a town, more about the fate of the entire mojave.
More than the entire Mojave, the fate of the entire region is decided at Vegas's gates and the ending slides make kind of a big deal about this.

That is a vague implication that ultimately means nothing.

Besides we all know that the canonical ending is "Neutral" where nothing happens :P

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5597 on: March 17, 2016, 08:51:27 am »

You think the Mr House ending will be canon?  Or Wild Card?  I could see it going either way, or even NCR.

In a way it's a shame that they have to pick canon endings, but it's also cool because it lets new games build on the events of older ones.  The options are so meaningfully divergent that they can't all be canon if the region is at all referenced later.  I guess it's weird if you *never* rescued Tandi, then play Fallout 2 and hear "The Vault Dweller saved me and I built this republic!" but doesn't seem like that much of a problem to me.

Fallout 4 doesn't really do that though...  It's practically stand-alone.  NV did it perfectly, and FO3 did a decent job too (though many disagree).
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5598 on: March 17, 2016, 08:53:51 am »

I kind of miss those extra "What happens next" endings.

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5599 on: March 17, 2016, 08:56:14 am »

NV is less about a town, more about the fate of the entire mojave.
More than the entire Mojave, the fate of the entire region is decided at Vegas's gates and the ending slides make kind of a big deal about this.

That is a vague implication that ultimately means nothing.

Besides we all know that the canonical ending is "Neutral" where nothing happens :P
Given how the entire theme of the NCR during the game is "Either we conquer the Strip and revitalize our economy or we fall further into decay" and how the entire theme of the Legion is "If the conquest train stops, we die" you are given very strong implications that this is a make-or-break scenario for both parties involved. The game plays this fact up quite a lot during your interactions with either side and is not at all vague about it. The ending slides may be vague about what ultimately happens to either faction, but the game itself is anything but.

So the canon ending which is neutral and where "nothing happens" is one where the NCR is stuck sliding into decay and the legion's conquest train is stopped dead in its tracks possibly causing its dissolution. :P

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5600 on: March 17, 2016, 08:58:57 am »

Well what do you expect? The really COOL way endings are handled in Disgaea or Elder Scrolls?

Disgaea: The bad ending is USUALLY canon
Elder Scrolls: All the endings are canon

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5601 on: March 17, 2016, 09:04:50 am »

I'd rather Fallout not dive into metaphysics (or time travel) to pull off the Elder Scrolls thing :P
I would *love* if the bad endings were canon, though.  Would be a perfect explanation for the wastes remaining wastelandy.  I still think NV was a bit too civilized for my taste (though I ended up loving it anyway, it just wasn't what I expected from Fallout).  The NCR and Legion both collapsing would be cool for a post-post apocalypse setting...
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I wear many masks, none of them have names.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5602 on: March 17, 2016, 09:30:48 am »

Post-post-apocalyptic-apocalypse?
This unit is known to the state of california to occasionally misuse technical language.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5603 on: March 17, 2016, 09:33:29 am »

While the Second Battle was going on, an Unseen Super Bad Guy faction destroyed both their nerve centers?
Black lives matter.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #5604 on: March 17, 2016, 09:35:04 am »

While the Second Battle was going on, an Unseen Super Bad Guy faction destroyed both their nerve centers?
Or before, or even after - the Lonesome Road...
Spoiler: DLC spoilers (click to show/hide)

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5605 on: March 17, 2016, 09:38:35 am »

*two specific locations that technically only exist for the DLC, neither of which are the nerve centers of the involved factions.
Black lives matter.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #5606 on: March 17, 2016, 09:42:03 am »

*two specific locations that technically only exist for the DLC, neither of which are the nerve centers of the involved factions.
I thought the affected areas extended well beyond based on the ending text, and that the areas that can be reached are just the nearest fringes of the blast radius; going too far in either direction will end in a quick death. 

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5607 on: March 17, 2016, 09:47:41 am »

Even so, neither exactly housed the President or Caesar, so both factions continue to be alive and well (if absolutely livid at you). :P
Black lives matter.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #5608 on: March 17, 2016, 11:04:31 am »

True, but mostly because the President and Caesar are already in or in transit to the Mojave at the time of the game, give or take.  The NCR without California is pretty much a snake without a head, and the Legion without the entirety of its holdings in the former Commonwealth of the Four States is not in much better shape. 

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5609 on: March 17, 2016, 11:46:31 am »

Though it is possible to kill both Kimball and Caesar, even in the same game.  I think there's even a bonus perk (or just achievement) for killing all the VIPs.

I really can't see Lanius leading the Legion effectively, even if he is surprisingly well-spoken considering his backstory.  The NCR...  Has problems too.  Losing this bloody, expensive war and then losing their president would probably be pretty destabilizing.  Corporations like the water merchants, Crimson Caravan, and Van Graffs might take over entirely instead of being content with bribery.
She/they
Pages: 1 ... 372 373 [374] 375 376 ... 462