Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Blacksmith's Friend [0.1] - An Adventure Mode Crafting Expansion  (Read 6218 times)

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Blacksmith's Friend v0.1
for Dwarf Fortress v0.31.25

NB:  This mod requires the Wanderer's Friend Mod installed first, as it depends on several tools from the mod and was designed as an extension of Wanderer's Friend.

INSTALLATION

Simply unzip item_blacksmith.txt and reaction_wanderer_blacksmith.txt into your Dwarf Fortress/raw/objects folder and generate a new world.

FEATURES

+ Melt down any metal item for scrap!
+ Burn wood for charcoal!
+ Smelt steel, bronze and other alloys from bars!
+ Forge your own weapons, armour and tools!
+ Hone damaged weapons, repair damaged armour!
+ Make leather whips because damn it, metal whips are silly!

COMMENTS

Weapons and armour are usually slightly cheaper (1 bar) in terms of metal to produce than in Fortress Mode, but this is balanced where they usually require a haft/hilt or leather backing instead.  Hafts and Hilts can be produced from wood or bone or even metal (if you're feeling needlessly extravagant).

The only weapons you cannot make out of metal are whips and scourges because I scoff at metal whips; there is an added option to make them out of leather instead.  Spears and bolts/arrows cannot be made directly from metal; speartips and arrowheads can be made and then constructed via the methods in the Wanderer's Friend mod.

KNOWN BUGS AND EXPLOITS

Major Exploit:  Melting down metal bars into more metal bars causes a massive return (of 150 bars) due to a coding hiccough.  At this point there is no way around this - I can only ask you to not do this because it will take away a lot of the balance of the mod and thus a lot of the fun.  [On the other hand, if you are finding gathering metal to be far too frustrating a task, it makes for an easy cheat!]

Phantom Bars:  For inscrutable reasons you will always need one more bar than you actually use when melting or metalworking (this applies to both metal bars and charcoal).  Usually the extra bar is not consumed as a result of the reaction, but on rare occasions it may be consumed and produce twice the expected products.

So I was catching up on Wanderer's Friend and came across the concept of salvaging metal items for scrap.  This is the logical consequence of that concept - the mod is designed to take advantage of all those goblin and bandit weapons you pick up and give you a decent starting point for making your own weapons and armour.  I've also included several smelting reactions (more than you should ever need!) - the most important of which are smelting pig iron and steel.  These use flux rocks as part of the reaction, so you can just pick them up off the ground rather than having to think about mining them.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 04:40:25 pm by Iituem »
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Agon MD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Blacksmith's Friend [0.1] - An Adventure Mode Crafting Expansion
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2011, 06:40:08 pm »

I just released this mod 2-3 days ago lol.  Here's a link to the thread

It's interesting that you went with item-> bars-> items.  Mine was going to melt to bars too but I didn't like the way that it turned out, so instead you bash the weapon/armor metal into chunks that can be hammered into new pieces of gear in mine.

I haven't taken a look at your reactions (I don't have winrar) but it sounds neat.  Anyway, cheers! great minds think alike I guess ha!
Love,

Dr. Agon

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2011, 07:30:11 pm »

Well, that somewhat defeated the entire purpose of my doing that, hah!  Ah well, such is life.

Edit:  Altered file to .zip (saved it as .rar by mistake) and maintaining this anyway - the scope of BF is smaller than that of BattleCraft, but doesn't add in many new non-vanilla items.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 07:55:31 pm by Iituem »
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Agon MD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2011, 08:21:36 pm »

Well, that somewhat defeated the entire purpose of my doing that, hah!  Ah well, such is life.

Edit:  Altered file to .zip (saved it as .rar by mistake) and maintaining this anyway - the scope of BF is smaller than that of BattleCraft, but doesn't add in many new non-vanilla items.

Cool beans, I'll have to check it out.  Yeah I wasn't happy with the amount of non-vanilla items in BattleCraft too so I removed most of them. 

If I read correctly yours is an expansion that is meant to be used with wanderer and mine is meant to be a standalone without wanderer.  They're similar but still different. I didn't mean to imply that you should take it down or anything! :)
Love,

Dr. Agon

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2011, 05:25:30 pm »

This is a really cool addition to Wanderer's Friend, but it spat out a lot of errors in the errorlog. Most of these were just minor typos.
While it was an easy fix, it was still an annoying one. Double-checking your work is always a good idea :D
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2011, 11:55:02 pm »

Cool mod!  8)
And, yes, I hope the typos get fixed in a new version.

Also, it would really help some folks who first learn of your mod on DFFD if you would edit your Blacksmith's Friend page on DFFD to add a link to this forum thread. It saves having to search for it. (For me, this type of thing happens a lot more often than you'd think.)

If you edit the page, on the bottom is a field for your Homepage URL. And on the bottom right is a field for Homepage Title, where you'd insert "Forum Thread" or similar.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2011, 03:16:29 am »

How about adding [DOES_NOT_DETERMINE_PRODUCT_AMOUNT] to your melting reactions? It might fix the 150 metal bar bug. Problem is, you'll have to determine how many bars will be created, might conflict with your goals.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Chronas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2011, 05:08:10 pm »

Hey, i love your mod -but I'd just like to say i enjoy hard material scourges. Whilst i agree that metal whips are silly, i always pictured scourges as leather braided around metal barbs and added in some extra reactions of my own for that.
Spoiler: if you were interested (click to show/hide)

EDIT: And just after googling them i found out that is exactly what a scourge is...
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 05:11:13 pm by Chronas »
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...
It should be pretty fun though.

Kaiser Reinhard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2011, 08:57:51 am »

Is this mod still active?

Because I noticed that there's no option to forge spears.

Cairn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2012, 04:38:56 pm »

Whilst i agree that metal whips are silly . . . .

Actually, metal whips aren't necessarily silly. I thought the same, at first, but when you come to accept the idea that a whip can actually sever a limb, then the conclusion is that it has to be made of metal. A leather whip is not going to sever anything. Even leather whips with metal or glass on the tip still won't sever a limb. About the most it'll do is cut the flesh deep enough to bleed and smart, really really smart.

I would assume that the whip must be made of several sharp edged chain-linked flat pieces of metal, or merely something like a chain, but with barbs and other such harmful gnashing things. I would imagine that the primary reason no culture ever made the jump from leather whip to metal whip is probably not because they couldn't do it because it's not a hard leap in logic to conceive of the idea, but more so because it probably becomes way too easy for the user to the injure themselves as much as they stood to injure their victim.

I mean, I'd compare the reality of a metallic whip to nunchucks. You don't see too many weapons like the nunchucks in existence throughout history because without very skilled use combined with their limited range, they could pose a greater danger to the user rather than the victim, thus negating their common-use effectiveness as a weapon. Those who are good at them are very good at them, but those who are not good at them hurt themselves.

megiddo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2012, 12:36:20 am »

...when you come to accept the idea that a whip can actually sever a limb, then the conclusion is that it has to be made of metal.

Aren't whips currently incorrectly modeled in DF? I read that DF thinks they are rigid, so in practice they end up being 6-foot long lightsabers moving at the speed of sound.

I personally think whips are meant to be leather with metal tips.