Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many want to keep this up in the next release?

Me
- 16 (22.9%)
Me!
- 54 (77.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

Pages: 1 ... 232 233 [234] 235 236 ... 261

Author Topic: DF from scratch: The entirely player-made universe succession.  (Read 496261 times)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
Re: DF from scratch: The entirely player-made universe succession.
« Reply #3495 on: March 03, 2014, 01:39:31 pm »

I still have a bit of a problem with how people in the mod use iridium and meteoric iron for everything. We really do need our own (regular) iron and steel mats, though we could change things up a bit by having different grades of steel.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

CaptainMcClellan

• Bay Watcher
  • [WAS_NEVER_HERE][CUBE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3496 on: March 03, 2014, 01:45:44 pm »

Mm... yeah, alright. But gold, iron, etc. all do have certain physical properties that there's no point in changing. So I think we need to have a laxation of using mats from vanilla for at least a few metals and stones. After all, any planet generated by natural physical process will have iron. It's just a part of planet formation. And even fantasy worlds have just plain iron.

Urdothor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3497 on: March 03, 2014, 03:16:05 pm »

We slightly borrowed the some of the vanilla values, so we could do that hear.

Dwarf4Explosives

• Bay Watcher
  • Souls are tasty. Kinda like bacon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3498 on: March 03, 2014, 04:15:37 pm »

We could come up with similar (yet not completely identical) materials of our own. It's a world where we have 70-foot chickens, giant squid and trees with a tendency to kill dragons. Why would it have similar minerals? Could we make a metal that functions as an aquifer before being mined? Or does the aquifer mining exploit not leave boulders?
And yet another bit of proof that RNG is toying with us. We do 1984, it does animal farm
...why do your hydras have two more heads than mine? 
Does that mean male hydras... oh god dammit.

Urdothor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3499 on: March 03, 2014, 04:39:36 pm »

When did we get the giant chickens...

StLeibowitz

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_CENTAUR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3500 on: March 03, 2014, 06:20:40 pm »

Taking values directly from Vanilla is heretical. If you absolutely must, for whatever reason, have boring old iron, convert the values from online sources yourself and try to make it more accurate. I remain firmly against the idea, though. There's no reason to steal from Vanilla what we could instead replace with unique metals of our own nefarious design. Just because other fantasy worlds have things like iron, gold, and copper, doesn't mean ours has to have them.
Generally, when one is conducting an experiment, it is worth noting that the observers went insane, killed each other, and then rose from the dead.
It's like DF inhaled a peanut.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3501 on: March 03, 2014, 06:46:59 pm »

We could come up with similar (yet not completely identical) materials of our own. It's a world where we have 70-foot chickens, giant squid and trees with a tendency to kill dragons. Why would it have similar minerals? Could we make a metal that functions as an aquifer before being mined? Or does the aquifer mining exploit not leave boulders?
Real life has giant squids, you know. And our mod lacks 70-foot chickens.

Also, this mod has had Iridium and Meteoric Iron from near the beginning. Both of which are real-world materials, though because we lack other metals, they appear almost everywhere as tools and weapons, despite the rocks they're mined from being relatively rare. I posted a lengthy rant about why our make no sense a while back, but to sum up "Why would the natives even call if meteoric iron if it forms so much of the planet that it would be impossible to tell that it came from meteors?"

And; " 'Draw Iridium, villain!' just doesn't sound as good as 'Draw steel, villain!' "

And there's no reason we can't have mundane metals and fantastic metals at the same time: In fact, we MUST. When ONLY fantastic metals exist, people have no point of comparison. "Stronger than steel" tells me something about the metal; "Stronger than Lunalium" tells me nothing, because that's just more jargon. "Gold" brings to mind riches. "Selenite" does not, unless I know it's "almost as valuable as gold" or "twice as valuable as platinum", etc.

You may as well ask "Why does our world need boring old lances and clubs? People should wield Asjhajksdf's and Tierioyeir's!"

Take halflings for a good example. We know they're about half the size of humans, and so they provide a good point of comparison that let's us visualize the size of the other creatures of the world.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3502 on: March 03, 2014, 06:51:04 pm »

I think Dwarf4Explosives mentioned that he would be making the chickens while listing some other ideas he had.

Urdothor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3503 on: March 03, 2014, 07:01:22 pm »

I agree with these statements.

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #3504 on: March 04, 2014, 02:44:08 am »

Which ones, the ones pertaining to giant chickens? :P
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

Urdothor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3505 on: March 04, 2014, 03:02:59 am »

Obviously.

Poldon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3506 on: March 04, 2014, 08:23:43 am »

I do agree with Hugo here. When I played I had no idea what the metals did or how useful or valuable they were, and had to ask just to find out. With some standard metals in play it would be fun to fall back to those and then compare while playing to see if something is better. We certainly should get a few of them, like iron, steel, and gold at the very minimum. That said, I also agree that they shouldn't be copy-paste metals, but even in getting new values online they should still be pretty predictable. They would also help give a reference point for the other metals, which in turn makes things less overwhelming and confusing.

I am no modder, however, and don't have large amounts of time to spend on this.

CaptainMcClellan

• Bay Watcher
  • [WAS_NEVER_HERE][CUBE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3507 on: March 04, 2014, 09:43:59 am »

Alright, alright. Then we don't have to make it the same values as DF's iron, gold, etc. We can use the quote-unquote "real values". And besides, I guess there's always plenty other real-world materials not implemented in vanilla. Like tungsten or titanium. Draw titanium fool! When we bend it out of shape it'll fix itself! Or cobalt. Sword of cobalt activate! XD No, we should have gold, silver, and copper, but as a happy compromise, I'll gladly look up the real-world stats for these materials and post them here.

Dwarf4Explosives

• Bay Watcher
  • Souls are tasty. Kinda like bacon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3508 on: March 04, 2014, 11:03:43 am »

Yup, giant chickens are one of the things I'm adding.

Also, seeing as we already have elves, could we make Cobalt Kobolds? Think semiorganic bronze golem.
And yet another bit of proof that RNG is toying with us. We do 1984, it does animal farm
...why do your hydras have two more heads than mine? 
Does that mean male hydras... oh god dammit.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3509 on: March 04, 2014, 01:35:15 pm »

While we should have reference points for our custom stuff, we do still want to be original. Adding in more (albeit alternate versions of) vanilla races makes this resemble vanilla DF more in terms of flavor.
Pages: 1 ... 232 233 [234] 235 236 ... 261