Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 688 689 [690] 691 692 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2123012 times)

Moonstone_Flower

• Bay Watcher
  • [FLIPPED]
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #10335 on: March 20, 2018, 06:21:37 pm »

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Thresher
Thresher is the skill that dwarves use when given the labor plant processing. "Processing plants" actually covers 4 different jobs done at a farmer's workshop.

Process plants:

Turns pig tails, rope reed, flax plants, jute plants, hemp plants, cotton plants, ramie plants, and kenaf plants into the corresponding types of thread. These products produce seeds as well.

It looks like it should, yes. Why don't you check the stocks screen for seeds?

Thresher is not the job that makes alcohol.  They said that they brewed their pig tails.

Yes, brewing should leave seeds behind - but be cautious, as cooking does not!  Fortunately, pig tails cannot be cooked.
Grand Master Depressive
Hate Javascript?  Use this for image uploading.
I am a delicate flower!
...of lewdness and lesbianism
Sadly, the head doctor MoonstoneFlower became depressed.  I am not sure if she will be able to recover.

MantisMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Say what you mean, mean what you say.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10336 on: March 20, 2018, 07:24:57 pm »

I guess I must have mentally switched "clothing" with "wine" in that sentence.

I could have sworn he was saying the problem was that he turned it into cloth instead of booze.
How I usually build my fort.
We're all secretly mantises. Except that one guy. We're trolling the shit out of him.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10337 on: March 20, 2018, 07:31:27 pm »

Can we agree that alcohol should have the cook option turned off by default

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10338 on: March 20, 2018, 08:04:15 pm »

So I was playing PUBBA-GUH (PUBG)

Made it to the last 15 players on the map. Saw a motorcycle parked by a house, someone was obviously inside either scavenging or camping. I successfully snuck up to the bike, grabbed it, and proceeded to crow as loudly as possible over voice while spamming the horn and driving off. The guy tried to shoot me off and missed.

I made it over the next hill before flipping the bike and dying instantly.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10339 on: March 20, 2018, 08:20:32 pm »

Made it to the last 15 players on the map. Saw a motorcycle parked by a house, someone was obviously inside either scavenging or camping. I successfully snuck up to the bike, grabbed it, and proceeded to crow as loudly as possible over voice while spamming the horn and driving off. The guy tried to shoot me off and missed.

There's actually a "How did you just die recently?" thread over in General Discussion; I think this would be more on-topic there.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

MantisMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Say what you mean, mean what you say.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10340 on: March 21, 2018, 12:03:30 am »

Yes, definitely.
How I usually build my fort.
We're all secretly mantises. Except that one guy. We're trolling the shit out of him.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #10341 on: March 21, 2018, 09:14:51 am »

Yes, definitely.
I agree.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10342 on: March 21, 2018, 01:34:47 pm »

There's actually a "How did you just die recently?" thread over in General Discussion; I think this would be more on-topic there.

I might just be stupid but I can't find it, even though I remember posting in it at some point.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Moonstone_Flower

• Bay Watcher
  • [FLIPPED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10343 on: March 21, 2018, 02:20:24 pm »

Yes, definitely.
I agree.

Hear hear!
Grand Master Depressive
Hate Javascript?  Use this for image uploading.
I am a delicate flower!
...of lewdness and lesbianism
Sadly, the head doctor MoonstoneFlower became depressed.  I am not sure if she will be able to recover.

Anandar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10344 on: March 21, 2018, 08:59:00 pm »

Uberpooch

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10345 on: March 22, 2018, 04:52:08 pm »

One of my dwarves was infected with lycanthropy (were-badger).  I had him in a room in the hospital with a locked door.  For two months, he did nothing but sit on his bed.  Even when he transformed, he just sat there, so I didn't take any further steps to contain or eliminate him.  Got up to fix some lunch, but didn't pause the game.  Came back 10 minutes later.  "Why is my dining room painted red now?  What's with all these job cancellation warnings?"  I paused and found the were-badger had broken the door, then proceeded to slaughter his way through the dining hall, the workshops, and the barracks, before apparently running off of the map.  Out of 90 dwarves in my fortress, only 12 were alive and uninjured, and half of these were children.  I had over 30 injured survivors, but a quick check with DFHack confirmed my fears - all were infected.  I abandoned the fort rather than endure the inevitable tantrum spirals before werebeasts devoured the few healthy survivors.

DoktaYut

• Bay Watcher
  • [BIOME:OCEAN_DEEP]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10346 on: March 22, 2018, 05:23:38 pm »

One of my dwarves was infected with lycanthropy (were-badger).  I had him in a room in the hospital with a locked door.  For two months, he did nothing but sit on his bed.  Even when he transformed, he just sat there, so I didn't take any further steps to contain or eliminate him.  Got up to fix some lunch, but didn't pause the game.  Came back 10 minutes later.  "Why is my dining room painted red now?  What's with all these job cancellation warnings?"  I paused and found the were-badger had broken the door, then proceeded to slaughter his way through the dining hall, the workshops, and the barracks, before apparently running off of the map.  Out of 90 dwarves in my fortress, only 12 were alive and uninjured, and half of these were children.  I had over 30 injured survivors, but a quick check with DFHack confirmed my fears - all were infected.  I abandoned the fort rather than endure the inevitable tantrum spirals before werebeasts devoured the few healthy survivors.
If you restart in that same world make sure to pick a different civilization, unless you want a werebadger as one of your immigrants.
This is a Bay 12 Forum Post. Written on the item is a signature entitled Thoughts on Signatures, authored by Dokta Yut. It concerns the elaboration, selection and display of forum signatures. The writing is very concise, yet it has a touch of humor. Overall, the prose is not awful, but not very good either.

Xyon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10347 on: March 26, 2018, 06:53:26 am »

Hmmm.  Uberpooch, with more infected than uninfected, wouldn't the eventual conclusion of that fortress be just an entire, small but deadly, fortress of were-badger dwarfs? I suppose that might not be fun to play during the transition period between a normal and a were-fort, but if you could set it up so that migrant waves had seperate burrows, some armor, and trained some military skills to the point where they could survive an attack and be infected, but not kill the were-badgers, then you could keep building up your fortress .

Of course I can definitely see how this wouldn't be appealing to everyone.

I've been playing a small fortress recently, only a 2x2 embark, 50 dwarf strict cap right now.  Long history on a pocket world. I think all the dwarf civs were dead when I started so its been kind of a revival.  I have had a single human caravan come so far, and two mystery human caravans, waiting for.. I think its goblins or elfs my civ might still be at war with, will increase pop cap when ready to deal with that stuff.

Anyhoo, one miller goes and declares herself queen, and then a migration wave comes, and dwarfs start getting drained of their blood. I haven't dealt much with vampires before, but the darn thing drained our queen because I face-palmed and didn't deal with it after the first drained dwarf.   Needless to say it was one of the worthless fishworkers who ended up being the vampire, and now they are in a small room, locked behind a door, and the door is walled off on the other side.  I guess at least if all the other dwarfs die in this fortress I will still have my vampire in a locked room and just need to wait for the next migration wave.

Lord Shiteblast

• Bay Watcher
  • Armok be praised
    • View Profile
« Reply #10348 on: March 26, 2018, 06:32:34 pm »

Yes, definitely.
I agree.

Hear hear!

SILENCE!!! I concur!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_Ykc91L5kY

That's unlucky, but highly entertaining. You should make an adventurer to try and clear out the fort, maybe a dwarf from the same parent civ to rp it nicely. You could then reclaim it if you want or leave it at that.

Haggoroth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10349 on: March 28, 2018, 12:29:39 am »

I embarked on a new journey, started some miners digging, targeting some trees to cut down, set up some pastures for my animals.

My woodcutter fell one tree without incident, the 2nd tree must have fallen on him because he was unconscious with a mangled leg within 2 minutes of unpausing.

I let him die of dehydration and his battle axe was passed on.
Pages: 1 ... 688 689 [690] 691 692 ... 729