Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1479 1480 [1481] 1482 1483 ... 1571

Author Topic: How did you last die?  (Read 2290486 times)

Screech9791

• Bay Watcher
  • quit
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last die?
« Reply #22200 on: March 03, 2020, 06:44:18 pm »

Are those steel walls? Are they still flammable?
Nope, marble. I'm pretty sure steel used to be 20% flammable, but now it's 40% flammable.

As for how the colony is currently faring, production is slowly getting back to normal, and the former medbay is now infestation bait and a cooler exhaust room, which will (hopefully) cause the insects to burn in a painful superheated fire. Using the devmode view menu, it turns out that the medbay was the only valid infestation place, but now that it's walled off, they'll either spawn in the enclosed and extremely hot former medbay, or (rarely) in the workshop.
it's over

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22201 on: March 09, 2020, 12:10:31 am »

Half Life 2 gets really fricken hard towards the end, actually?  Like 2-4 striders at a time, with allies blocking your cover, and the box of rockets you need is hidden in an alley at the end of a winding maze with their precious verticality.  Not to mention all the Overwatch troopers who spawn in flanking positions above you all the time.  Gotta love hitscan weapons - it's a blessing when they pause to throw a grenade or launch an energy ball (lol gravity gun).

Striders, though.  It takes like 6 RPG rockets, so even once you run the maze (using brave rebel soldiers as... distractions), it still takes a while - and literally one second out of cover can take away half your health.

What a strange game.  The last chapter is a cakewalk by comparison, but nice and moody.

Half Life 2
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22202 on: March 09, 2020, 12:46:57 am »

Right as I finally get around to starting construction of a proper perimeter wall, over a dozen raiders coming from three different directions decide to swing by. Lost a couple of good folks (and pets).

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22203 on: March 09, 2020, 12:53:10 am »

Yea you can learn very quickly how fragile the little guys can be.  Even if they don't have any built in health or combat disadvantages like many do, their small bodysize alone reduces max hp significantly.  The only thing a small bodysize helps in combat is making them harder to hit with guns.

I remember losing an avali colonist to a fox once, just because they had so little hp.  While at the same time my Centaur is a melee goddess but it's almost like she is made out of something that makes bullets curve so they can hit her through 4 embrasures a wall and a window with a smg from the next map over.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2020, 01:02:43 am by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #22204 on: March 11, 2020, 02:14:45 am »

Things were going swimmingly in the tutorial mission, I had the orc leader surrounded with all sorts of fighters, rangers and shamans, I was just waiting for an opportunity to attack at daytime...

And Ballsack the elf ended the mission because I took too long. It's not like the orcs are going anywhere, they're producing one unit per turn and don't get very far before I cut them down. After a long period of extremely generous escape sequences, I've started to remember why I hate time limits in games.

Battle for Wesnoth.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22205 on: March 11, 2020, 05:44:16 am »

Yeah, without there being a stated reason for a time limit, they can get very annoying. But they are there for a gameplay reason. At least in campaigns, that is. Without a time limit, you could just get all the villages, recruit/recall exactly so that you would be still gaining money and then stand there farming both XP and money.

All it takes is for the story to give a reason why you can't just do that for them to be less annoying.

Oh and funny thing from Wesnoth as well: In an MP scenarios with multiple players, if turns run out, everyone loses. I guess that the gods of Irdya just nuke the place or something.
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #22206 on: March 11, 2020, 06:06:52 am »

I do quite like Wesnoth, I think, but a time limit on every single mission is a pretty big caveat.

It must be a consequence of being able to "recall" units across a scenario, a feature of Wesnoth I really like, but time limits do seem like the only way to balance it against the potential for XP and gold farming. Another way might have been to make it so that player-controlled villages run out of gold; perhaps if they were gold mines or other large-but-finite resources. XP farming would be harder to solve, but there's probably a way.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22207 on: March 11, 2020, 07:24:47 am »

It would be easy enough to give an event that drops g/village to 0 after certain conditions are met (current turn, enemy/player strength, etc.)

About XP farming, I am not sure. I have an idea that would prevent it but could be a memory drain.
Code: [Select]
#define AUTOMATIC_UNRECALL DELAY
[event]
    name=recruit
    first_time_only=no
    [set_variable]
        name=to_unrecall
        value=$turn_number+{DELAY}
    [/set_variable]
    [event]
        name=turn $to_unrecall
        first_time_only=yes
        delayed_variable_substitution=no
        [store_unit]
             [filter]
                  id=$unit.id
             [/filter]
             variable=unrecalled
             kill=yes
        [/store_unit]
        [unstore_unit]
             variable=unrecalled
             x,y=recall,recall
        [/unstore_unit]
    [/event]
    [clear_variable]
        name=to_unrecall
    [/clear_variable]
[/event]
[event]
    name=recall
    first_time_only=no
    delayed_variable_substitution=no
    [set_variable]
        name=to_unrecall
    [/set_variable]
    [event]
        name=turn $to_unrecall
        first_time_only=yes
        [store_unit]
             [filter]
                  id=$unit.id
             [/filter]
             variable=unrecalled
             kill=yes
        [/store_unit]
        [unstore_unit]
             variable=unrecalled
             x,y=recall,recall
        [/unstore_unit]
    [/event]
    [clear_variable]
        name=to_unrecall
    [/clear_variable]
[/event]
#enddef

The macro I just wrote should automaticaly unrecall every unit {DELAY} number of turns after it is recruited or recalled. It could be tweaked to only apply to player units by adding further filters to the primary events.

Edited because I realised I made an error in the code.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2020, 07:36:12 am by Mathel »
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22208 on: March 11, 2020, 09:52:09 am »

Yeah, the time limit in Fallout was removed, even though it was loose enough that neither of the players who ran into it should have. It was removed because it just adds stress to the player unnecessarily.

Or it's like in the Pathfinder computer game, where they don't tell you how anything is supposed to work, because the answer is always disappointment or the devs don't know either.

Edit: And my point about Pathfinder was going to be that the time limit is to prevent you from interacting with the game more than is necessary. Probably the best use of a time limit, except it's way too long, doesn't always apply, and doesn't do the right thing by just uninstalling the game for you after you've played enough.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2020, 09:56:05 am by Iduno »

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #22209 on: March 11, 2020, 09:53:34 am »

I was very, very close to completing a 100% Skryim run.

Then my saves got corrupted. Damn you and your bugs, Bethesda!
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22210 on: March 11, 2020, 09:57:15 am »

Meanwhile, at Bethesda:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #22211 on: March 11, 2020, 10:37:31 pm »

My Fallout 4 Hardcore game was nearly killed by a bug in the Memory Den that killed all the scripts and made it impossible to advance. On Xbox without the cheat console, I would have been screwed; luckily, I somehow discovered an autosave that the game had made for me prior to the Memory Den.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22212 on: March 12, 2020, 01:47:18 am »

I've been talking with someone who was 70 hours into Assassin's Creed: Odyssey when the main quest softlocked and she had to start the game over from scratch

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #22213 on: March 12, 2020, 08:08:40 am »

My Fallout 4 Hardcore game was nearly killed by a bug in the Memory Den that killed all the scripts and made it impossible to advance. On Xbox without the cheat console, I would have been screwed; luckily, I somehow discovered an autosave that the game had made for me prior to the Memory Den.
Never Ironman.  even when playing with ironman conduct.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #22214 on: March 12, 2020, 08:12:09 am »

Rolling saves. If I’m doing something I expect to take a lot of time, 3 save files used in sequence until they’ve all been used, then overwrite them as necessary in the same sequence.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.
Pages: 1 ... 1479 1480 [1481] 1482 1483 ... 1571