Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Seeking True Economy Games (Round 2)  (Read 5960 times)

Abram Jones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Games by Abe Jones
Re: Seeking True Economy Games (Round 2)
« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2017, 10:21:39 pm »

if you loan to a player, that's always a risk but hey, that's what armed thugs are for.

the autoloan thing from the banker is more just a passive money gen when it's used by npcs; you'll get paid consistently as mini-loans are taken out and paid back again.
i can't remember if that's something the mods fixed.

Okay, I added Guild 2: Renaissance as this is the only one I could find with banking. Are there any others in the series with the feature?

To the others: EVE Online is also added to the list, thanks for the information guys!
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 05:49:06 am by Abram Jones »

Abram Jones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Games by Abe Jones
« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2017, 05:44:39 am »

Well, basically you can trade credits for materials either between you and an NPC tradebase or between you or a player.  Structures also cost credits to account for the labor of setting them up.

In this case, I am sending a payment of 3250 credits every cycle (every 10 hours) to Lord Sebim through the diplomacy system for fourty cycles.  33 cycles remain before the deal is done.  Total value of 130,000 credits.  These are consistent with terms I offered on universal chat to encourage people to invest in my nation.  In exchange he sent a one time payment of 100,000 credits.  The loan market is a bit over-leveraged, hence the horrendous terms, but it bears mentioning most of the investments I spent that on came online within approximately 12 cycles and took over for the loan payments.

I'd argue the game facilitates these sorts of investments, since you can cut these investment deals all in one transaction through the diplomacy screen.

In this case I marketed it on universal chat as my nation selling bonds.

Yes, this qualifies. I will add it. It looks like a lot more games are finally starting to add legitimate loan systems at least... now only if they'd start share trading as well. As soon as this list reaches 100 games I may have to get more strict on the criteria... but that will still be quite a while I imagine.

You might wanna keep an eye on a game named Eco.

Itīs still in development, but if it stays true to itīs promisses it will not only simulate economy, but also ecology and lawmaking. For example mining for coal might polute the water, making local farms turn less of a profit. So now the farmers can suggest a law that prohibits to mine coal (in general or in certain areas) which of course the miners will lobby against. And all that while everyone has to work together to get to the endgame tech to destroy a meteorite thatīs head for earth. So you can try to maximise you own profits, but if you donīt watch the rest you can literally kill the whole server making all progress nill.

We will see if it can keep its promisses.

Okay thanks, I will keep an eye on it.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 05:48:11 am by Abram Jones »

The_Explorer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2017, 12:44:46 pm »

There is Capitalism Labs. Not on steam but a huge standalone version of capitalism (which the original IS on steam) about economy and industry. Id go with Labs though. It has mod support. It also has pretty decent expansions.

Only reason i dont have it is its kinda pricey. Like 30 dollars (but includes 2 expansions. Doesnt include digital age their dlc in beta).

It seems rather indepth though and a lot of content to do. Can own hotels or malls or grocery stores and bunch of variety. One of the dlcs lets you be a mayor too.

Havent personally played it though
« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 01:22:29 pm by The_Explorer »

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2017, 05:22:54 pm »

Not *quite* what you've described, but I wanted to mention the not-so-well-known "Wall Street Raider" by Roninsoft.  "It's a corporate takeover and stock market game, in which players strive to build their corporate empires by fair means or foul", and it has stock market, commodities market, trading in financial instruments like bonds and swaps.  *Some* corporate actions to build and manage the companies you acquire.   Economic cycles  by industry group.  Gain control of insurance companies and banks and use their assets to fund your maneuvers (the Warren Buffet way, whee :D), call in loans, issue stocks and bonds.   I haven't played it in a while, he's added a whole bunch of stuff.   

There's a shareware version to try.  http://www.roninsoft.com/wsraider.htm

Yes, I've played this game before. This would definitely be qualified if there was a non-financial industrial sector that the player could manage. Unfortunately I think this game is strictly financial in nature.
[/quote]

In the non-financial corporations you control, you have *some* mechanisms for affecting their operations but they're pretty abstract - you can buy/sell assets to expand/contract operations, buying "good" assets from another well-performing company in your sector is supposed to be a plus.  And a few settings like percent of corp budget to spend on R&D, replace management team, things like that.   

Oh there's another odd one that again isn't quite what you're looking for but had some interesting features:  Tom Clancy's ruthless.com from 1998.  Again the product/manufacturing part was pretty abstract.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Clancy%27s_ruthless.com

ED:  Also some of the railroad games kinda/sorta qualify - a few had fairly advanced stock market/financial sectors while still mainly managing the operations of your railroad...
« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 05:27:33 pm by gimlet »

Calhoun

• Bay Watcher
  • Reusable-Box
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2017, 07:10:33 pm »

Rail Road Tycoon 2 Platinum has a very compelling economic side to it including a fully simulate Stock Market and divorces the notion of you as a player/CEO and your financial assets from that of your company.

Little rough to go back to these days, though.
I know it's unrealistic, but I can't help but imagine little bearded babies for dwarves. In my mind, they come out of the womb fully bearded. That's how the mother carries them around, too, she just drags them around by the beard or ties it to her belt. When the father's on duty, he just ties their beards together and the baby just kind of hangs there, swinging to and fro with Urist McDaddy's movements.

FakerFangirl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2017, 09:26:55 pm »

I have the disc for Railroad Tycoon 2 Gold. And I can't run it on my Windows 7 x64 bit OS.
"Should we call a beak dog a gobbo doggo?" - Relevant_-_-Username

Calhoun

• Bay Watcher
  • Reusable-Box
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 15, 2017, 10:27:43 pm »

I have the disc for Railroad Tycoon 2 Gold. And I can't run it on my Windows 7 x64 bit OS.

I can't speak to my retail copy as I sure don't have it (Don't even have a disc drive anymore) but the GOG version of Platinum works on Windows 10 (32-bit and 64-bit).
I know it's unrealistic, but I can't help but imagine little bearded babies for dwarves. In my mind, they come out of the womb fully bearded. That's how the mother carries them around, too, she just drags them around by the beard or ties it to her belt. When the father's on duty, he just ties their beards together and the baby just kind of hangs there, swinging to and fro with Urist McDaddy's movements.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 18, 2017, 02:10:09 pm »

Maybe Victoria 2 with the POP demand mod.

I can't find any financial features that would qualify this game (or mod) for the list.

It is more about goods/manufacturing rather then finance.  If you are not one of the big 8 stomping around with their armies/influence.  ... Among other factors.
For example, you could overproduce certain goods on the market, drive down the price and making it unprofitable, so others shut down their factories from losing money.  Or I guess, for nations that subsidize, a financial blackhole. 
If you are numbah one or high up there.... keep a stranglehold on raw goods by using all of it in production, even if you can't get enough of it.  It could also naturally kill homegrown competition if the raw producing nations in question are economically unstable.  (Sphere of influence changes order of trade.)
If you have a big army, taking over a region usually destroys all factories there... but then... its yours now. 

The economy is still kinda simplistic, not accounting for distance or anything of the likes, local goods are bought first and imported/exported goods are traded from top down, the higher 'ranked' gets dibs and whatever is leftover trickles down.  (Spheres of influence bypasses this.)

The only concept of stockpiles are by nations.  Excess goods on the market are lost.  Trade/production/teleportation is calculated on a day-by-day basis.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 02:51:15 pm by Zangi »
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Blood_Librarian

• Bay Watcher
  • What is happening?
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 18, 2017, 02:35:16 pm »

Posting to watch.
if you want something wacky
Quote from: ChiefWaffles, MAR Discord
I continue to be puzzled by BL's attempts to make Aratam blatantly evil

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 23, 2017, 02:34:31 pm »

Capitalism Lab is the best economy and business game that have ever existed in the universe. You can disagree, but you are wrong.

The_Explorer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 26, 2017, 06:54:44 pm »

Got victoria 2 for 2017 winter sales. Its a lot more involved than vanilla eu4. Much slower paced. Economy seems pretty good, though gotta learn how to play. Though tbh I dunno if I like it more than meiou or not.
Pages: 1 2 [3]