Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Missing bodies with added castes  (Read 165 times)

paudley

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Missing bodies with added castes
« on: April 24, 2024, 09:07:41 pm »

I'm trying to add some additional castes to dwarves so that I can add a little more FUN and variation that goes beyond what you can do with just syndromes (for instance make permanently moody or cheer dwarfs occasionally pop up).

The Problem:   The simple, minimal, mod below gives me nothing but a shadow (ie: no body) in the Arena and, strangely, sometimes only hair floating in the air.

Code: [Select]
[OBJECT:CREATURE]

[SELECT:CREATURE:DWARF]
[CASTE:MOODY]
                [CASTE_NAME:moody dwarf:moody dwarves]

I've also tried using [USE_CASTE] to clone an existing caste but I get the same results.  Can someone point me in the right direction for how to add a caste to an existing creature in a mod?

aradar

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary bullshitter
    • View Profile
    • my steam workshop
Re: Missing bodies with added castes
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2024, 10:44:44 pm »

I'm trying to add some additional castes to dwarves so that I can add a little more FUN and variation that goes beyond what you can do with just syndromes (for instance make permanently moody or cheer dwarfs occasionally pop up).

The Problem:   The simple, minimal, mod below gives me nothing but a shadow (ie: no body) in the Arena and, strangely, sometimes only hair floating in the air.

Code: [Select]
[OBJECT:CREATURE]

[SELECT:CREATURE:DWARF]
[CASTE:MOODY]
                [CASTE_NAME:moody dwarf:moody dwarves]

I've also tried using [USE_CASTE] to clone an existing caste but I get the same results.  Can someone point me in the right direction for how to add a caste to an existing creature in a mod?

Look at the layered graphics file for dwarfs it has to look like that if you wanted to work it's huge layered graphics. Are huge

You only see beards because there are missing entries in the graphic about beards and skin and colors and hair ,again check the layered graphic file for dwarfs to get a reference cuz it is so big I can't even begin to explain it but I can if that is looking at that file doesn't give you any better insight but it's going to take some explaining cuz it's painful

Cast name isn't the same as the name of the actual caste, caste name is a description cast name is the ID of the cast kinda weird but yea

Then add [CREATURE_CASTE_GRAPHICS:MOODY:CASTENAME]
                     [DEFAULT:MOODY:0:0:AS_IS]
                          [CONDITION_CASTE:CASTENAME]
                     [ANIMATED:MOODY:0:0:AS_IS]
                          [CONDITION_CASTE: CASTENAME]
                     [CORPSE:MOODY:0:0:AS_IS]
                          [CONDITION_CASTE:CASTENAME]
In the lines where there are numbers those correspond to  grid areas on the graphic images like those in dwarf hair curly or human hair straight find the numbers you need

To utilize everything with your new cast you have to go into the graphics layered file and add that caste everywhere that there's male and female it's a labor even cut/pasteing 😞

I hope it helps I just started a project that has a dwarf species that's two that look like a dwarf and a third one that looks like a donkey with glowing red eyes ❤️🔥 I'm very proud of it
 releasing to steam soon !! For adventure mode and fortress mode it's a wacky one !!! 😁

And what I like to do it's still a pain in the ass but it makes it a little bit easier is go into the graphic layered file for the hair and body stuff take it and put it into a file by itself using find replace in notepad replace either male or female with your new cast and delete the other ones and then copy that into your creature edition

DPh Kraken

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONOUNS:it:its:itself]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2024, 11:37:27 pm »

The bodies aren't missing, per se. If you want "moody dwarves" to use the same graphics as a dwarf of a specific caste, you can add additional  [CONDITION_CASTE:MOODY] tokens under all of the [CONDITION_CASTE:FEMALE] or [CONDITION_CASTE:MALE] tokens in your dwarven creature graphics file.
Overwriting/editing layered graphics is difficult - common practice is to load your mod before vanilla_creatures_graphics, due to the way things are loaded. I'm currently putting together some split-apart raws as a modding resource.
[CHEESE_PLANT] and [CHEESE_GRAPHICS] biggest fan
Mod releases

paudley

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2024, 02:13:16 am »

Thanks to both of you - that's exactly what I was missing, knowledge-wise.  Cheers!