Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 120

Author Topic: Arcanum Octet II: Forbidden Lore [Turn 81]  (Read 222146 times)

sir diesalot

• Bay Watcher
  • WAIT IT'S A NINE!
    • View Profile
Re: Arcanum Octet II: Invasion [Turn 15]
« Reply #390 on: May 07, 2010, 12:59:06 pm »

I had a character made before...

I'll go fish for him.

Edit, found him with odd backstory (edited but I'm still not happy with it):

Name: Scintoth Svadi
Profession/Skills(Chose 1 major and 2 minor): Major elemental magic (earth, maybe water), minor axe weilding, minor rune magic
Requested Equipment(If it's reasonable, you will start with it): Leather brigandine armour, 2 handed greataxe, woodcarving knife.
Background Information(Optional):
 Scintoth is a norse-like man who was young when the demonic outbreak began. When his village elders recieved word of the outbreak, they gathered all of the young and taught them the ways of magic for when the scourge came. The demons descended upon the village earlier than was anticipated and rather than defending his village, Scintoth grabbed his sister and ran for safety, which at the time was The Lost Shoals. While travelling, he and his sister were waylaid by a band of demons. He used his earth magic to clear a path through the demons, but his sister had already been captured. He vowed that he would come back to rescue her from her prison in Schalade and earn his honour back, first taking a detour through Duplicity to search for anyone to help.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 01:09:22 pm by sir diesalot »
NOT THE BEES!

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
Re: Arcanum Octet II: Well that's interesting... [Turn 16]
« Reply #391 on: May 12, 2010, 01:59:03 pm »

Well that's interesting... [Turn 16]

We must all move to the same die of the city. That way only half can reach us.

Carve random runes into one side of the arch, not necessarily ones I actually know how to use either. Yes, I am intentionally making the demons mad.

You take out your chisel and start hammering at the right side of the arch. (3+2) You feel as if majorly transgressing some law as you take out large chunks of rock from the arch. (Luck 2) You don't actually make any rune, but as you look over at the other side, you see that is is still intact. You successfully disrupted the symmetry of the arch.

+2 to Runecrafting

Good idea with the same side, let's keep to the side closest to the human lands. Note that the shadows' movements are perfectly symmetrical with their twins. I don't think they're good at dodging, but I don't want to touch them. Somebody send a minion to attack my skeleton's target's twin.

My skeleton attacks a shadow. I attempt a Destroy Undead spell on a different shadow, but not the twin.
Control 4: The skeleton attacks one of the approaching shadows. (6) It lashes out at the shadow. (RTD 4) The shadow fails to dodge, but the attack passes right through, doing no damage at all.

You cast destroy undead on one of the shadows. (4+2) The spell goes off without a hitch. The shadows seem to be unaffected, however.

+2 to Necromany
Let's try attacking just one side first. At worst, we only take half damage, neh?
Also, I'm pretty sure they're evil and we should attack them. Demon city, after all, and shadows usually don't turn out to be the good guys.

After this fight, can we stop for a moment for me to heal the team and add corpses and such? And for other people to do their errands?
I order the flesh golem to attack the closest shadow on the right side.
I hang back, and heal whoever gets hurt the worst.
Control 6: You order your golem to attack the closest shadow on the right side. It follows your orders exactly. (4) It strikes our against the shadow (RTD 4) which barely manages to dodge.

You are on healing standby.
Dump broken dagger. Rune of warding on the ground, on whichever side we're attacking.
You start drawing a rune of warding on the ground. (6+2) The rune is perfect... no... that's a flaw... but it will be perfect. (Luck 1) While you're working on perfecting the rune, a shadow takes the opportunity to attack you.

Through a vial of holy water into the nearest group of shadows, aim for one, and hope the splatter hits more.

You throw the holy water at the shadow the flesh golem attacked. (2+1) The vial hurtles past the shadow. (Luck 2)  It then cracks, but not shatters, and the holy water slowly leaks out.

Follow Nirur's lead and order/beg my stone spirit to mimic all his skeleton moves, only against the shadow twin.

I stand back and Spire any shadow that comes too close to us.

Control 2: The spirit doesn't seem to care about what you want it to do.

You focus on bring up a giant spire of earth on the closest left shadow, so you don't hit the flesh golem. (6+2) You bring a giant spire out of the earth, which throws the shadow up into the air. (Luck 5) The shadow's twin suddenly vanishes!

+4 to Elementalism 

FIREBALL!

I mentioned it a while ago.

You conjure a fireball and throw it at the shadows. (6+1) The giant flame hurtles towards the shadows. (Luck 2) Both shadows that were hit by it seem unfazed.

+3 to Elementalism

Quote from: Shadows
The first shadow has mysteriously vanished after it's counterpart was sent flying.
The second shadow hits the ground. (Luck 3) It is wounded.
The third shadow lashes out at Virroken (1)(RTD 6-2) But messes up horribly.
The fourth shadow moves in tandem with the third shadow.
The fifth and sixth shadows advance towards the group.

Spoiler: Nirur Torir (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Virroken (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Aarchan(Kilakan) (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Kin(KineseN) (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Dragnar (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Marcus(Acanthus117) (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Cheddarius (click to show/hide)
The end of the world is more fun then I expected.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: May 12, 2010, 02:14:28 pm »

I cast conjure food and water... targeted inside one of the shadow's heads.

This action is either going to fail hilariously and confuse the shadows or kill two of them in a rather painful manner. Or just plain fail, of course.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: May 12, 2010, 05:58:44 pm »

I mix more healing salves.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: May 12, 2010, 06:13:23 pm »

Hurray, it's not dead.

My skeleton tries to knock its previously attacked shadow out of symmetry with its twin.
I cast Frost on one of the approaching shadows.

Virroken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: May 12, 2010, 07:40:27 pm »

Amplify/assist/help Nirur's frost.

I don't think I've made a successful rune yet. Ever.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: May 12, 2010, 08:14:57 pm »

look about for unusual plants, and substances, then collect them.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 08:59:46 pm by kilakan »
Nom nom nom

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: May 12, 2010, 08:41:36 pm »

You made your dagger.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: May 12, 2010, 08:47:51 pm »

Damn.

FIREBALL THE WOUNDED SHADOW
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

KineseN

• Bay Watcher
  • [Forumlurker]
    • View Profile
    • Rushvalley Tower Defence
« Reply #399 on: May 13, 2010, 09:55:30 am »

Interesting indeed.

Channel dangerously high amount of magical energy into my next Spire and aim for the fifth or sixth (or both of the) shadow.

Edit: Order the Stone spirit to cast any spells it got against the wounded shadow.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 09:59:47 am by KineseN »

Interactive signature (experimental). Refresh page to update image.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: May 13, 2010, 10:09:59 am »

Oh wait, I forgot I have minions. I order my two minions to attack a shadow and it's counterpart. Have them aim so that the shadows can't dadge both attacks at once.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
Re: Arcanum Octet II: Looming Presence [Turn 17]
« Reply #401 on: May 18, 2010, 07:25:00 pm »

Looming Presence [Turn 17]

I cast conjure food and water... targeted inside one of the shadow's heads.

This action is either going to fail hilariously and confuse the shadows or kill two of them in a rather painful manner. Or just plain fail, of course.

You wonder what would happen if you summoned something inside one of the shadows. (6+1) You aim the spell inside one of the shadows. (Luck 4) A plate of delicious-looking food appears inside the shadow's head, and falls to the ground, spilling the delicious-looking food all over the ground. What a waste.

+3 to Summoning

I mix more healing salves.

Command 1: The flesh golem appears bored.

(4+1) You mix several more potions. (Luck 3) They turn out decently.

+2 to Alchemy

Hurray, it's not dead.

My skeleton tries to knock its previously attacked shadow out of symmetry with its twin.
I cast Frost on one of the approaching shadows.

Amplify/assist/help Nirur's frost.

Command 6: The skeleton rushes off to strike at the shadow who didn't have a plate of food summoned inside of it. (RTD 2) The shadow is unable to dodge the attack, and the skeleton's great cleave slices through the shadow. It shudders violently, then fades into mist. It's twin goes with it.

You focus on casting Frost on one of the approaching shadows. (3+1)(4+1) You cast the frost spell on the right shadow. (Luck 4) The spell goes off without a hitch, but the shadow seems unaffected.

+2 to Elementalism
+2 to Elementalism

look about for unusual plants, and substances, then collect them.

You look around for unusual plants. (6+1) You search really hard. (Luck 0) Despite your best efforts, you can not find any plants. Maybe you should try again when you're not inside a dead city.

Damn.

FIREBALL THE WOUNDED SHADOW
You are MAD! You RAEG so hard that it turns into fire! Or maybe that's your magic. (3+1) You hurl a fireball towards the shadow. (RTD 2) It can not dodge and is consumed by the flame.

+1 to Elementalism

Interesting indeed.

Channel dangerously high amount of magical energy into my next Spire and aim for the fifth or sixth (or both of the) shadow.

Edit: Order the Stone spirit to cast any spells it got against the wounded shadow.
You close your eyes and summon up huge reserves of energy, then pour it all into the earth. (6+2) The earth shudders as the magic lifts a giant spire from the ground! (Luck 4+1) The spire catches both shadows, and both go flying off into the sky.

+4 to Elementalism

Oh wait, I forgot I have minions. I order my two minions to attack a shadow and it's counterpart. Have them aim so that the shadows can't dadge both attacks at once.
The only existing shadows are currently suspended in mid-air.

Quote from: Shadows
Shadows 4 & 5 land on the ground with a sickening thud. (Luck 1) They are completely destroyed.

-----
The group continues on into the city. No other shadows arise to challenge the group; the city seems deserted. As they pass the buildings on each side, a sense of foreboding grows until they stand at the food of a large palace, or maybe a city hall. You feel as if some dark force is drawing you in, while as the same time repulsing you away. The presence seems disturbingly familiar. What do you do?
-----
Also wanting to check to make sure this RTD is working out okay. I realize the turns are taking a while, but there is not much I can do about that at the moment. If there is anything you have an issue with/would like to see improved, let me know. This game more for you than it is for me, though I must admit I like throwing stuff like the shadows at you guys.

Speaking of which, has anyone figured out the mechanics behind the shadows? I mean, I know them, but I'm wondering if you guys do.
I'll award bonus points to whoever guesses how they worked. 5 bonus points for hitting it right-on, 3 for being on the right track and falling short, 1 for having a logical explanation but being wrong. Bonus points can be converted into EXP for any skill, or maybe if someone gets the 5 they can get a new spell or item that is shadow-related.

Spoiler: Nirur Torir (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Virroken (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Aarchan(Kilakan) (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Kin(KineseN) (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Dragnar (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Marcus(Acanthus117) (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Cheddarius (click to show/hide)

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: May 18, 2010, 07:35:12 pm »

huh hopes it's the old me's soul dagger screwing up the place, that'd be neat.
Shadow mechanics:Both shadows act in unison until one is inturrupted, the one that causes the interruption continues to exist, while the other vanishes?
Apply holy gel to my wounded arm, blessing the flesh.
i thinking this may do nothing, blow my arm off, or give me a holy arm, with which I could punch demons with and shatter their souls via FALC..... HOLY PUNCH!
Nom nom nom

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: May 18, 2010, 07:36:14 pm »

I'm enjoying it, despite the pace.

My guess is that half of the shadows were incorporeal copies, destroyed/damaged by their twins being attacked, but otherwise not damageable by standard means. It seems to me to be the most logical reason why my skeleton couldn't harm its first target, but killed the second.

Question on spell levels: At what points to quantities for basic summoning spells increase? I assume that at legendary alchemist and summoner I'd be able to create several lesser healing potions in one turn.

I cast Summon Skeleton, then enter the imposing structure.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2010, 05:44:34 pm by Nirur Torir »

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: May 18, 2010, 08:12:10 pm »

Mechanics: They act in unison, each acting symmetrically with its twin, but once one is destroyed, its twin is also destroyed.

I heal Kilakan and order my golem to add any corpses it finds to itself. Those hellhounds if they're still nearby, or maybe that food.
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 120