Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: House Kostagar of Tolos (CKII-GOT)  (Read 4580 times)

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
House Kostagar of Tolos (CKII-GOT)
« on: May 17, 2016, 08:19:35 pm »

Spoiler: Playthrough Specs (click to show/hide)

House Kostagar of Tolos
Maerys I "the Lewd" Kostagar

Maerys "the Lewd" Kostagar was the first member of House Kostagar to attain the position of a lordship, in the year 340 After the Doom (A.D.).  It is unclear the exact methods he utilized to achieve the position, but from what could be deduced, he had managed to gain the position of Spymaster for his predecesor, and proceeded to reveal enough plots to have himself be considered trustworthy, while letting through enough untraceable plots to kill off the entire ruling family.  It is recorded that he had been removed from the council once, but a large upsurge in deaths brought him back onto it.  It is difficult to pin down what percentage of the upsurge was due to his actions, but it ended with the complete death of the ruling family.  As a result of the favor built up with the ruler, he was designated as the heir, and, after foiling plots aimed at him that may have been created to fail by himself, the ruler died under suspicious circumstances.

The reign of Maerys is where his nickname "the Lewd" is generally agreed to have originated from.  These is some evidence that it truly began circulating after he purchased a brothel in the latter days, but the seduction of eight women to the point of mutual love within less than a five year period likely played a part in the creation of the nickname, especially having been due to having married to his first wife, Benerra Mazemagyar, the sister of his early friend Qavo Mazemagyar, only after getting six concubine lovers.  While there are some who idolize his capabilities in these early years, the stress of maintaining the complex relationships is believed to have been the cause of the later breakdown of his mind.  As an interesting aside, the end of what is sometimes termed the 'seduction' phase of his life was near concurrent with the usurpation of the Iron Throne from the Targaryens by Raymun "Redbeard" of the Antler Vale.

The instability is evident to have begun soon after an argument with a local priest of the Valyrian Religion, wherein he had been convinced that he should pay greater attention to the Dragon Dreams he oft experienced and his cynical nature frequently cast aside.  This advice led to him getting the idea of launching a Slave Raid upon Astapor in 345 A.D.  However, due to the near complete lack of ships within Tolos, he was forced to march his near twelve thousand man army along the entire coast of Slaver's Bay.  Due to a lack of being able to fully supply the army and the breakneck pace they marched through territory, the army lost near one thousand men in the march through Meereen and Yunkai.  Once they managed to make it, however, the army was able to swiftly capture the city of Astapor itself due to their main army having marched off to Ghiscar Point in order to prevent the landing of the Tolos army.  After the Tolos army marched north to capture Slaver's Road, the Astapor army marched to recapture the city.  A three hundred man detachment of the Tolos army proceeded to capture the city again while the main finished off Slaver's Road and moved on to Dhozai.  This army was then found by the Astapor army, when the former was on their way to rejoin the main Tolos force.  The army was crushed, and the Astapor army marched after the Tolos army, who by that point had managed to capture Dhozai and move onto Gadhis.

When the two forces managed to stumble across each other in the mountains surrounding Gadhis, the Tolos army had been putting the local castle under siege.  As such, they had the advantage in terrain, which the Tolos General Methyso used to his advantage with great ability.  By concentrating his forces on the left and having his center and right flanks distract the other two, the center under control of Maerys, Methyso had managed to take each force in pieces, allowing for the lesser force of around nine and a half thousand to defeat the Astapor force of thirteen thousand.  In the aftermath of the battle, the treaty was signed, ending the war in 347 A.D., and the Tolos force began the march home, and once again suffering a lack of supplies, resulting in only seven and a half thousand of eight thousand soldiers arriving back home in a condition capable to fight a war.

The stress of the campaign, spread Gonorrhea amongst his wife and concubines while he was still unaware of it, the earlier mentioned stress of maintaining love in eight separate relationships, and possibly news of the unification of the Dothraki Sea led to the phase that took up the latter parts of his life where his mind simply broke down into insanity.  Maerys declared war upon the neighboring Mantarys, speaking about seeing a vision that he was to lead a glorious restoration of the province of North Valyria, as his wife and three concubines fell into insanity with him.  A red priest heard of his ambitions and attempted to convert him to R'hillor, but the priest was imprisoned and shipped into the Smoking Sea.  Following this, he decided to name his horse Justicar of the realm, leaving the position functionally empty.  There were some who took effective control of the position in later years, but it was officially in the hands of Glitterhoof for as long as Maerys lived.  It is believed he would have continued this conquest onto Elyria, but the limited number of ships and crippling debt he would accumulate would prevent these attempts from going through.

Maerys launched a massive campaign to have the control of all areas in his domain to become under his direct control, removing all vassals.  This sparked three civil wars to try to stop him, but each wound up failing completely.  After the end of these wars, he additionally changed the succession laws in order for women to be able to inherit as well, but behind the men of the family.  As well as sending all prisoners captured to the Smoking Sea, he also attempted to send away the four concubine lovers that had not gone insane with them, two managing to escape Tolos successfully into Little Valyria for a few years.  Notably, Maerys and each of the survivors spoke of love for the other until the death of the lover, the former of what she could have been and both of the latter of the man who had been lost to the insanity.  In this phase, he also blinded and castrated Qavo Mazemagyar before sending him off to the Smoking Sea.  This earned the ire of his wife, leading her to attempt to poison the heir Hageon Kostagar to get back at Maerys, which triggered his paranoia, leading him to have her killed in 355 A.D.  He remarried to Rhaelinor, but after a dragon dream showed her face as being behind a plot against the family two years after the marriage started, Maerys had her shipped into the Smoking Sea with other prisoners of the state.  It is then that he married the last of the concubines, Syaella, a woman whose husband he had wound up murdering to weaken Mantarys back in his sane days.

This third marriage only lasted a few short months, however.  Upon the thirteenth day of the seventh month of 357 A.D., Maerys passed as a result of his Gonorrhea, and the rulership of Tolos passed to his thirteen year old son Haegon, with Syaella as regent.

Spoiler: Original OP (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 02:40:16 am by Zanzetkuken The Great »
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
Re: House Kostagar of the Basilisk Isles (CKII-GOT)
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2016, 12:49:07 am »

Looking good.  Would you be able to show a world map, state of the world and its nations, etc?
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2016, 01:34:01 am »

Looking good.  Would you be able to show a world map, state of the world and its nations, etc?

I have to be a bit careful when I do so.  Had to remove one image I put up, as I noticed that the flag for New Ghis might contain exposed breasts.  Considering a couple of the things in Slaver's Bay are like that...

Granted, it's pretty much a moot point now.  Need to scrap and restart due to a glitch showing up where literally every kid is being born with 'the Seed is Strong' trait (which I thought I got rid of).  Absolutely every one looks like a Baratheon.  Really is a shame, as I was looking forward to writing up how Dragonstone had been hit by a Pentos Slave Raid while Aegon was off destroying New Valyria.  Wound up obliterating his entire army.
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2016, 01:44:05 am »

That's kinda hilarious, though.  I'm just imagining a time-jumping Robert Baratheon boning every woman in the World of Ice and Fire, EXCEPT for Cersei. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2016, 01:55:44 am »

That's kinda hilarious, though.  I'm just imagining a time-jumping Robert Baratheon boning every woman in the World of Ice and Fire, EXCEPT for Cersei. 

The strangest thing is, as far as I could tell, it was only the male children that got it.  Females tended to not get the trait.  Honestly, the main thing that tipped me off was when I looked over at the Targaryens, and Aegon's kid had Baratheon looks.  At first I thought this indicated the kid's mother had an affair, but then I started to look around more in-depth and saw the only male individual who would have the trait at the time was 50 years old.  Over the two years, there were I think 60+ male children born with the trait, across the entirety of the planet.  So unless Orys was given the trait and was going after absolutely, positively everyone, including the imprisoned wife of the Oluhuru (guy who rebelled and I used the option to toss him into Valyria's smoking sea upon as an execution).

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2016, 03:26:20 am »

Stealth-adultery, like a boss.  So are you sticking with the same house, with the restart and all?
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2016, 02:59:40 pm »

Stealth-adultery, like a boss.  So are you sticking with the same house, with the restart and all?

House name will be the same, but first name won't likely be.  Will be a change in timeframe, though, as well as introducing a new policy: Kostagars will not marry.  Instead, they will father eastwards like crazy, then legitimize one of them.  The others will be landed or sent away (console command exiled).  Will be some time before I follow through, though.  I'm working on a new mod load out, now that I have The Old Gods and The Republic (latter as future goal for government type, so things still happen)

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: House Kostagar of Tolos (CKII-GOT)
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2016, 02:11:52 am »

Finally got around to restarting this.  Going to try the method of updating at the death of a ruler, as if forming a log of how they would be written in a history book.  The life of the Maerys the Lewd has been edited into the OP, with the old kept in a spoiler at the bottom of the post.  Will edit in a display of the controlled area when I'm done.  Just so it is known, Maerys ended life with -83 gold, 141 prestige, and -834 piety.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: House Kostagar of Tolos (CKII-GOT)
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2016, 08:38:29 pm »

Yeah, yeah, triple post.  However, working through Haegon's term as High Lord (and at the current point of the playthrough, king)(likely going to break his up.  Just waiting until I grab a nickname now), a few things of note wound up occurring in the wider world that I'd like to mention.

-Blackfyres attempted to grab ahold of the Iron Throne.  Wound up dealing the most amount of damage to the massive army held by the Wildlings thus far.
-Targaryens have essentially declared independence in a Kingdom of Dragonstone, as far as I can tell.
-Targaryen leadership has had the contemporary Aegon wind up being exiled, with his son on the throne for a time before that was lost.  Aegon wound up coming over to my nation.  Interesting to note, Aegon wound up having a daughter soon after he arrived in Tolos, and I wound up getting several requests for a betrothal between her and the son who had exiled his father (has the same name as the guy above, interestingly enough).  Apparently wound up giving the guy depression somehow, causing him to get the nickname 'the Downcast'.  Only married after I had betrothed her to someone in Tolos.
-The Dothraki Sea is now composed of all territories held by the Dothraki, Ibben, and all but one county of Qohor.
-The Rhoynar are in the process of reestablishing their ancient Kingdom. The most current revolt for liberation is occurring in the territories Norvos has possession of in the region.
-The Iron Throne's capital has been moved to the Fist of the First Men and have conquered the Night's Watch, with the exception of one barony. The ruler of Brandon's Gift has been given the former dutchy of the Night's Watch, and has wound up forming a Merchant Republic. Eastwatch, Brandon's Gift, and the New Gift all have trade ports of this new Merchant Republic. Also, King's Landing was given away and the crownlands are ruled from the county to the north of King's Landing.
-The Kingdom of Dragonstone is experiencing a Civil War with the Targaryen of Dragonstone attempting to wrest control from the King of Dragonstone in the Rose Road. The King is being supported by the Iron Throne. Both the King of the Iron Throne and the King of Dragonstone have basically the same name (Raymun, King of Dragonstone and Raymun II, King of the Iron Throne), and the earlier mentioned Maerys the Downcast.
-The Tullys have been reduced to two members and had their title of Riverrun revoked by the Pipers.
-The Stark Lord of the North has been imprisoned by the Wildling King for some time.
-The Iron Throne is experiencing the following wars of independence: Westmarch <area south of Highgarden> (Iron Throne supported by the Reach here), the Shield Isles, Tumbleton <area north of Highgarden>, the Giant's Lance <composed of the Eyrie, Heart's Home, the Bloody Gate, and Daremoor> (which is simultaneously being invaded by the Mountain Clans), the second attempt by the Trident <under the Pipers>, and the complete madness known as the Stormlands (Elaborated on next).
-The Third Stormlander War of Independence has their land in the shape of a one county-wide crescent moon around all the counties bordering Shipbreaker Bay, including Storm's End, and a county or two to its west. The capital is a singular county to separated from the crescent moon by two hostile counties. The Vale has declared for the Iron Throne, as has a smattering of counties and duchies across the Iron Throne, while the Stormlanders had the King-beyond-the-Wall (was given away at some point, only controls territory adjacent to the former Night's Watch's holdings in the north direction.), and the priorly mentioned Dothraki Sea declaring for the independence of the Stormlands.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
Re: House Kostagar of Tolos (CKII-GOT) (Dothraki vs Wildlings)
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2016, 09:58:54 pm »

This is gonna be fun.

Can the Dothraki do a sunset invasion type war when unified to a certain point?
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: House Kostagar of Tolos (CKII-GOT) (Dothraki vs Wildlings)
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2016, 12:54:59 am »

This is gonna be fun.

Can the Dothraki do a sunset invasion type war when unified to a certain point?

I know they can use an Invasion CB to conquer adjacent nations.  Don't know if it will work across a sea.

In more news:
-The Blackfyres tried to take the Iron Throne again.  Failed completely.  Funny thing is, the wife of the now deceased leader of the attack is now the regent of the Targaryen line that came here and set up in Bhorash (was colony of Meereen, I conquered it from them).
-Pirates were trying to capture Dorne last I checked.
-The Great Khal of the Dothraki Sea was captured by the Wildling King.
-The man I now term 'the Little Bastard' murdered Aegon Targaryen (who I had as my son Aegon's guardian at the time)(I think he's this guy in the original timeline.).  He also blinded a half brother of mine earlier.  I'm going to murder him now.  Hell, if he wasn't in hiding, I would have already imprisoned and killed him, because he was trying to kill me.  Edit: The guy's father was killed by Maerys.  And the guy himself is insane.  And has a focus on intrigue, like Maerys.  Parallels!

Edit2: Yeah, there's going to be another reboot.  Westeros is going so insane, I kinda want to mess around there.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 06:43:18 pm by Zanzetkuken The Great »