Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]

Author Topic: (SG) Penal Governor  (Read 7825 times)

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
Re: (SG) Penal Governor
« Reply #105 on: May 08, 2024, 04:25:26 am »

Alternatively, we could go for a date idea that is hopefully far less likely to be interrupted by planetary shenanigans. I'm sure the Trumpet has space for us to do some of that zero-G fencing that was initially suggested. I think we had three options of style, one favouring us, one favouring her, and one middle-ground. Which one we pick will say something about how we view the relationship, so I'm inclined towards the even playing field option.

But yes, I agree to limiting mass gatherings.

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 08, 2024, 09:00:01 pm »

Speaking of which, how about trying to capture and train several different metallic animals to see which ones make good pets, attack hounds, or mounts? The Chrono-Sirens would probably have fun too.

I think this is a good goal, but I think it is something that would best be attempted by Elke and a small group of enforcers, once she returns from the scrying mission.

Alternatively, we could go for a date idea that is hopefully far less likely to be interrupted by planetary shenanigans. I'm sure the Trumpet has space for us to do some of that zero-G fencing that was initially suggested. I think we had three options of style, one favouring us, one favouring her, and one middle-ground. Which one we pick will say something about how we view the relationship, so I'm inclined towards the even playing field option.

This, I believe, would make for a safer date.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 09, 2024, 02:36:55 am »

Limiting mass gatherings sounds like a good idea.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 09, 2024, 08:32:05 pm »

I think we should attempt the proposed mass gathering ban to see if that works...

You spend the better part of a day in your chambers with one of Jasper's Judgement Department policy wonks, drafting the language for a ban on large assemblies. Law and order is a difficult matter in the early days of a penal colony, as you have no prisons built or projects that call for particularly hard or dangerous labor lined up. The only two meaningful punishments you can dole out are execution or the particularly cruel 'frost blink', in which the convicted in thrown into cryostasis for a few hundred years until everyone they know and love has died.

Neither you nor your Judgment Department aid is particularly sure which of those punishments is best, so eventually you decide to delegate the task of deciding punishment and decree that "a gathering of more that 40 persons is a highly illegal threat to public safety. Such gatherings will be broken up with lethal force, and survivors will be sentenced and punished as deemed appropriate the arresting officer or the superior of the arresting officer."

You announce the decree at dusk, local time in the Lush Temple District. By dawn, local civilian communications are buzzing with annoyance and agitation over the new law. Sister Beatriz, who fancies herself something of an expert in sociology and crowd control, listens to some of these complaints and reckons that your new law could eventually lead to civil disturbance, especially in the districts that have not yet suffered an Elephant Mole attack, but that no uprising is imminent.

---

You sit down with Sister Shelly to plan a fencing date, and quickly learn that you have a bunch of decisions to make.

First is the exact martial art that you will be practicing. Of the three options, the 0g Station Standard format would allow Lady Mercury to wipe the floor with you, while you would have an overwhelming edge should you face your date in Caribbish Ballroom Fencing. A duel under Historical Terran Martial Arts rules would be close to an even fight, but even there you got a decision to make. HTMA matches are usually contested over multiple heats, usually best of three or best of five, and Shelly thinks there is a significant difference.

"The advantage is yours best of three, boss." The Chrono-Siren explains, "The martial art yer squeeze practices teaches proficiency in all weapons but mastery o'r none. The blade is your bread and butter, and your technique should surpass hers. On the other hand, from what I've seen, ta lady's conditioning and cardio far surpasses yer own boss. If she is smart enough ta play defensively and drag out the first heat o' two, she can handily tire ya out and win a best o' seven."

In addition to the rules of the duel, you also have to consider the format of the date itself. The two of you could just spar in relative privacy, before enjoying a nice meal and some drinks together. Or you could throw a tournament. You could fill a single elimination bracket with lesser contenders to nearly ensure that your meeting with Autumn would take place in the finals, giving your chronicler fodder to turn your romance into an epic tale. If you'd rather test yourself against honest competition, you could design with tournament with a group stage to guarantee that you meet Lady Mercury early on, before testing yourself against the best mortal swords in the colony.

Lastly there is the matter of the end of the date. This will be your third meeting. The protocol states that you should propose by the end of the fourth. It might be worth considering asking the question here, especially if you want to be finished with the damn courtship protocol in time for that party Autumn mentioned in the temple without having to rush in a fourth date. There is enough gold and similar heavy metals in spare and used starship parts to easily make a decent piece of engagement jewelry. You could also go with something a bit more exotic; You now have quite a bit of Elephant-Mole Ivory on hand...

How do you proceed?

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 09, 2024, 08:51:50 pm »

Well, we'll need to sort the elephant-mole attacks soonish if we want the whole colony thing to go smoothly.

HTMA dueling does sound like the best option, and best of five might be the better option? (A little confused by best of seven being mentioned when best of 3 or best of five are the most common.) Unsure about whether to go with a tourney or sparring session though.

Regardless, between the elephant-mole ivory and the date timing... popping the question here is a good idea, doubly so if we can get the ivory carved into jewellry in time; I suspect Lady Mercury would appreciate that more than some bog-standard stuff, especially since it is tied to our first date and the unplanned chaos that ensued.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 09, 2024, 09:03:33 pm »

If we do propose on this date, I agree that an elephant-mole ivory ring would be more fitting.

After the date, we should probably investigate as many temples as we can, as Jasper recommended. Rather than doing that just by ourselves, we could draw up some small teams to investigate in order to speed things up.

Also, if we happen to see Ms. Marlowe, I recommend asking her for her take on how best to obtain the Hollywood Scrolls.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2024, 09:35:35 pm by ZBridges »

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 09, 2024, 10:25:52 pm »

"On the other hand, from what I've seen, ta lady's conditioning and cardio far surpasses yer own boss. If she is smart enough ta play defensively and drag out the first heat o' two, she can handily tire ya out and win a best o' seven."
She's not smart, though. She's gonna adventure and glory directly into our face immediately and repeatedly. Let's do five.

(A little confused by best of seven being mentioned when best of 3 or best of five are the most common.)
I think the idea is that we'd probably win 3, 5 might be even, 7 would almost certainly favor her, so we could pick something like that if we wanted to let her win.

Let's do a genuine public tournament, and propose with elephant mole ivory at the end. One padded with cannon fodder would make for a much better story, but it'd be an embellished one. Honestly getting our ass whooped by the best swordsmen in the colony fits our do-or-die mandate better.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 10, 2024, 01:22:37 am »

How are we going to manage a public tournament whilst adhering to the Mass Gathering limits? Honestly, I had imagined a private sparring session when I first suggested it. It'll allow us to exchange witty movie-style banter, very the length as we see fit, and take advantage of there being only two witnesses if we wish.

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 10, 2024, 01:48:08 am »

How are we going to manage a public tournament whilst adhering to the Mass Gathering limits? Honestly, I had imagined a private sparring session when I first suggested it. It'll allow us to exchange witty movie-style banter, very the length as we see fit, and take advantage of there being only two witnesses if we wish.

I assume (hope) there isn't any need for mass gathering limits off of the planet's surface. Also, the tournament could be televised so everyone could see it without being physically present.

I could see how a tournament could appeal to Lady Mercury's thirst for glory, and it may help with unrest by taking people's minds off of the difficulties the colony is currently facing.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2024, 06:53:39 am by ZBridges »

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 10, 2024, 02:47:32 pm »

How are we going to manage a public tournament whilst adhering to the Mass Gathering limits?
...shit. That'll look especially bad if we violate it right after everyone gets mad at us for implementing it.

I'll second the television angle, but we might not have enough hardware for that either. A private session would indeed be more romantic, but less glorious, and our marriage is supposed to be something of interest to the entire planet.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 10, 2024, 06:24:58 pm »

Hmm. Another option would be to mass broadcast a formal match between us and Lady Mercury, assuming we have the capacity without our chief engineer.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: Today at 03:22:52 am »

Proposing after the match with the ivory sounds like a pretty good idea.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]