Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 575 576 [577] 578 579 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 925058 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #8640 on: November 13, 2014, 06:31:19 pm »

Might in vanilla. It probably won't make much difference in LW, given how heavily that weights civilian deaths.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8641 on: November 13, 2014, 06:35:34 pm »

I'm pretty sure in Long War that would count as a failed mission, so the country would leave the council anyway.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8642 on: November 13, 2014, 06:40:50 pm »

Well, it seems to give a straight 75 points to panic, including whatever else for the civilians and continent.  Yea, you lose it.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

jhxmt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8643 on: November 14, 2014, 12:35:16 pm »

Welp, going to die again by the looks of things.  It's the 24 May, five countries are at full panic and I haven't had a single UFO mission all month, so haven't had the opportunity to capture the Outsider.  Loads of council missions - I've done the whole battleship thing - and several covert ops, and the Newfoundland mission popped up as well (hahahahaha no), but no damned UFOs.

I'm going to fail at defending the Earth because the aliens aren't invading quickly enough, how stupid is that?
Quote from: beefsupreme
Try slaughtering a ton of animals, meat makes less decisions than animals.

Why Your Ramps Don't Work
How To Breach A Volcano Safely

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #8644 on: November 14, 2014, 03:27:13 pm »

Just double checking, but you do have satellite coverage up right? I've had times before where my satellite got shot down, I've ended up saying "oh I need to put a new one up as soon as I have some money" and then forgotten to.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

jhxmt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8645 on: November 14, 2014, 05:40:43 pm »

Just double checking, but you do have satellite coverage up right? I've had times before where my satellite got shot down, I've ended up saying "oh I need to put a new one up as soon as I have some money" and then forgotten to.

Yup - in fact I've got three up, but still no joy.  And one of them is up over one of the full-panic countries (Russia), so I can't even use what little satellite capacity I've got remaining to bring them back below the full-panic mark.

It's a bit frustrating, to tell the truth.  This run was going so well except for the complete lack of regular UFOs!  :(
Quote from: beefsupreme
Try slaughtering a ton of animals, meat makes less decisions than animals.

Why Your Ramps Don't Work
How To Breach A Volcano Safely

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8646 on: November 14, 2014, 06:26:23 pm »

For the unlikely person who both frequents this thread AND has an iOS/Android device, Enemy Within has been (finally) released on the app store.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2014, 09:32:32 pm by Chiefwaffles »
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

andrewas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8647 on: November 14, 2014, 09:26:40 pm »

The Android version is out as well. Now we just need to port Long War to the mobile version and life wile be perfect.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8648 on: November 14, 2014, 09:27:45 pm »

Time to start a new Long War game, now that I understand the... Tweaks.

Brutal difficulty, Ironman, Operation Progeny + Red Fog, Absolutely Critical, Aiming Angles. In the words of the Mad Dok: "Dis is gonna 'urt - a lot!"

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8649 on: November 24, 2014, 05:44:19 am »

Ok, I've done a bit of poking around the LW wiki, and I'm curious: how do you deal with the nerfed Arc Thrower stun success rates in LW? Besides having a backup plan in case the alien isn't stunned, of course. Or is that the only way to deal with it...?
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #8650 on: November 24, 2014, 05:46:05 am »

I recommend not taking Ironman though, it has a really high chance of messing up your save :P Just exert willpower.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8651 on: November 24, 2014, 05:47:33 am »

As far as I can tell: backup plans, multiple arc throwers, and disabling shot to have multiple chances.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8652 on: November 24, 2014, 05:59:28 am »

Oooh okay then, thanks :3
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8653 on: November 24, 2014, 06:02:26 am »

Also, I guess that with suppression+dense smoke+chem grenade it must be possible to bring one's aim so low that it cannot hit you even at point-blank range.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #8654 on: November 24, 2014, 06:36:33 am »

Generally I just run constant double suppression while I'm approaching (which combined with a small cover bonus makes you basically untouchable with -60 aim) or sometimes triple suppression if I'm really worried (this obviously doesn't work on melee attackers, who I generally just let come most of the way to me before either stunning or killing them). Then once you've got all of your guys close enough you hit them with all of your arc throwers one after another, and then kill it if none of them worked. An important thing to note is that you don't want to flank the target while you are approaching, the AI hates being flanked enough that it will gladly suicide run through triple suppression to escape that dangerous person flanking it.

I also just generally bring along at 1-2 arc throwers on every mission except for the high end missions (terror missions and such). If I happen to have a great opportunity I'll use them, or if I manage to end up with just 1 enemy left at the end I'll go for it, but over time I get enough shots in that it's not particularly a huge deal if it fails, since over time you still get plenty of captives.

Funnily enough my hardest thing to capture this run was the plain old sectoid (though I haven't met any sectoid commanders in this run yet). The problem was that I didn't go for early captures (since early lasers+gauss is so much more useful in long war) so by the time I actually was able to capture them all of my weapons just insta-killed them. :P On the other hand I'm rolling in enough mutons to satisfy every request and then some, and I've got so many floaters I'm not sure what to do with all of them.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.
Pages: 1 ... 575 576 [577] 578 579 ... 625