Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 18

Author Topic: The Singing Constellation: A Sci-Fi, High Fantasy Space Odyssey (6/∞)  (Read 11770 times)

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Singing Constellation: A Sci-Fi, High Fantasy Space Odyssey (7/∞)
« Reply #60 on: March 06, 2023, 04:33:04 am »

"This captured comet might post-date the creation of the obelisks.  If we can't find it, we should check out the second moon.  Still, should do this one first."

Action one, beam the explody beetle down to the surface to use as a light source.
Action two, follow down, using the spacesuit gloves to carry the beetle around and search that way.
Action three, explore this ominous moon.[/b
« Last Edit: March 06, 2023, 05:22:33 am by Devastator »

Strif3

• Bay Watcher
  • The vulture on your shoulder
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 06, 2023, 04:57:38 am »

Looking at Lemmy, Velklin scowls briefly, before very quickly returning to a more timid expression."I don't think these moons are captured. Someone created them, or towed them here. Three asteroid moons, three obelisks. It can't be a coincidence. I bet they're even in geostationary orbits..." He looks away from Lemmy, and toward the interior of the ship. "Are they, computer?" He inquires, tilting his head.
Freedom is not a spectrum.
Put me in chains, or stop telling me what to do.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 06, 2023, 05:24:12 am »

"Huzza I finally have a weapon, also what the hell did you guys do to that little alien thing to make it do that?"
Beam down to the surface and search for that obelisk thing.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 07, 2023, 05:06:49 pm »

The captured comet moon Heyam-72 d1 glows eerily under the faint red light. Su Lin contemplates this.

His mind wanders back to the confused and scared beetle god, currently still ejecting the mana infused in him. He remembered how just one believer, himself, was enough to bring Ornos back to lucidity.

He is suddenly struck by an ingenious idea. The Narrator, whatever he is, seems to be very wise, and he also knew what Ornos was from the very beginning. So he could believe in Ornos too!

"Sorry to crush your dreams, but I can't."

"Why can't you?"

"It's complicated. Ornos is a mortal god. A being born of belief, of noospheric substance. He is essentially a very, very real imaginary friend. So real that he is above you in existence. And so very close to the actual plain of reality, but never in it. He is always intermediary, between levels of it."

"What does that have to do with anything? What are you getting at?"

"If I believed in Ornos, it would create a reality paradox. I am not real inside this reality at all. I do not exist there. I am completely above it, and what you are interacting with is a downward projection. I will lift him, to my level, and outside of your reality."

"I don't really get it."

"Tldr; No can do."

Su Lin didn't quite understood why this was the way it was, and he was now too confused to figure it out. So he approached Velklin, who seemed friendly with him, and the exploding beetle right next to him.

"Hey, Velklin?"

"Yeah, I am here." Velklin replied groggily

Su Lin then noticed that Velklin look tired. Very tired. His face was pale and he was swaying on his hooves.

"You seem a bit exhausted."

"It's because I am. I am a bit unexperienced on performing improvisation when casting. And I have no way to actively gather it."

Su Lin thought this was unacceptable. The deer kids exhaustion, that is. So he decides to give his mana to Velklin. He could always Concentrate to get more.

Code: [Select]
Su Lin attempts to transfer 10 Mana to Velklin: 15
Velklin felt himself regain his strength as this foreign type of mana mixed with his. He felt revitalised even though his mana capacity was not filled.

"Thanks, man. I owe you one." Velklin walks off and leaves Su Lin alone with Ornos, whose expulsion was starting to fizzle out.

Su Lin decides to leave the beetle god to calm down all the way, and starts meditating to clear his mind.

Velklin having walked off with renewed vigor, looks over to the moon for the obelisk. When he realises that the obelisk wasn't nowhere to be seen, he orders the ship to scan the comet.

His suspicions are validated by the first, unrefined results. The third obelisk is not on the surface. But the ship reads it as close. It is clearly under the ice.

As the scan data becomes more defined, he is able to spot a large, circular hole dug into the glacial ice, about 10 meters in size, descending down to... The scan doesn't show.

Velklin decides against going into the moons core to who knows where. The suits don't have gravity boots installed, and that is a nightmare to deal when you have hooves. So he instead sits next to Su Lin and joins him in his meditation.

Velklin attempts to Learn Telekinesis: 19
Velklin, gathering his mental power and mana into a single point, tries focusing on pushing the air around him. He takes a deep breath, lets it out. And the air around him suddenly vacate his surroundings! Leaving him choking for air in a complete vacuum for a couple of seconds! But what is important was that it did work. He messes around with it, lifting up boxes, creating gusts of wind. Until he realises that this is a magical ability, and magic consumes mana. Not much in this case but with the amount of telekinesis he just did, he lost the mana he got from Su Lin. Leaving him a bit tired, again.

He doesn't registers that the magic sparkle sounds from Ornos are seemingly over.

Ornos is confused. He is still a beetle, so his thoughts are not too complex. But he can and does comprehend that something bad happened to him, and that this new floor was so, so cold. He also remembers something else. That remembrance soon turns into a thought. That thought trails onward to form a train. He is suddenly more than what he was before.

He gets a flash of full self awareness. Just as he did back at the ship. He died. He died. That can't be. He had woeshippers numberijg in the hundreds of millions. What happened? One second, he was the most popular being in his world, another, he is this pitiful creature barely able to think. He doesn't remembers what happened.

How. What happened to him?! He-

"Oh there that thing is."

Aaaaand he was distracted, aaaaaaand so he was gone.

Lemmy held the coral beetle in his two hands, which had stopped exploding some time ago, and now only gave a strong glow. The beetles light illuminated and reflected almost right off the pristine, crystalline water ice. That didn't matter though, he could still make things out.

Lemmy heard then droning sound of the tractor beam, and saw Burt behind him. So be it, he thought to himself, and he and Burt started to wordlessly explore the comet, and make their way to that entrance.

Only after fifteen minutes, thanks to the almost absent gravity, they get to the creepy hole. Lemmy tries to illuminate down, but only sees darkness. Burt briefly considers dropping the beetle down to see how deep it is, only to realise halfway through that the drop object method needed gravity, which they had in very short supply.

The beetle flies off Lemmy's hands, impossibly due to the lack of air. It dives into the entrance flying directly down and illuminates the tunnel as it descends.

The beetle is getting more and more distant as it goes deeper and deeper. You already miss its glow, and may want to follow it down. There is nowhere else to go anyways.

Current Characters

Spoiler: Lemmy | (30/30 HP) (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Burt | (40/40 HP) (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: March 07, 2023, 05:15:18 pm by Magmacube_tr »
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. With a new profile picture!

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!

Strif3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 07, 2023, 07:06:10 pm »

Velklin
:■■ ▪▪▪▪▪ ▪▪▪▪▪
:■■ ▪▪▪▪▪ ▪▪▪▪▪ □□

"Mr. Lin! I stumbled upon a grain of wisdom while meditating. Maybe it'll help you in your own quest..." Velklin clears his throat. "Intent is the chisel by which one carves into the stone of the universe, and one's Will is the hammer." He says, following it with an embarrassed chuckle. "It's a little blunt... But at least the idea is good, right?"

Rather than continue awkwardly standing there, Velklin turns around and addresses the situation on the ground.
"Umm- If you guys intend to go down there, how are you gonna get back up? If you jump on this "moon", you'll take right off into space..." There's a brief silence before he continues.. "Maybe we should wait until i've gotten hang of telekinesis, so that i can help with traversing that. Or maybe, here's an idea." Velklin clears his throat... again. "Mr. Narrator, how much range does the ship's tractor beam have? Could it just beam everyone straight down to the bottom of the hole?"

"Anyway, if you guys are dead set on going down there, i can have a crystal golem accompany you in my stead, if you(Burt, Lemmy) feel you need it. I'll make sure it sticks around and does what you tell it to."

Velklin yawns audibly, and adorably. "And I'll go find the softest surface in this ship and take a nap and recharge... Unless the ship has a bathtub... In which case, i'll use that, for double the functionality!"

Action Recap
Action 1: Possibly cast [Conjure Crystalline], depending on whether Burt/Lemmy want it.
Action 2: Take a nap. And possibly a bath... if the ship has such amenities...
Keeping 1 action in reserve.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2023, 07:14:07 pm by Strif3 »

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 07, 2023, 07:12:03 pm »

Action 1 find a weapon.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
  • Currently experiencing fremdschämen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 07, 2023, 07:35:17 pm »

Su Lin
'Intent is the chisel by which one carves into the stone of the universe, and one's Will is the hammer.'

Su Lin wasn't entirely clear on whether or not it would work, but he figured that he didn't have any better ideas. Su Lin spends some time working out at a high intensity to hopefully bolster his physical abilities.

Mildly amused, Su Lin makes a fist. He has his weapon right here! No need to search for weapons for Su Lin!

Action 1: Su Lin works out in an attempt to increase his Strength
Action 2: Su Lin works out in an attempt to increase his Speed
Action 3: Su Lin works out in an attempt to increase his Endurance
You arrive at a mysterious castle filled with people whose statements are always false. Which one do you vote for?

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 07, 2023, 09:15:10 pm »

"Do what you like Velklin.  If I run into something, I'll be right back up there and let you know what the problem is."

After that, Lemmy flips around and begins climbing upwards..  down the hole, but headfirst, against gravity, so he can easily follow the beetle, pushing off the sides of the well.

Make my way down into the pit by climbing down the hole.
Achieve a zen state of nothingness by keeping my mind clear, trying to hide from any mental probing.
Try to apply this to any weird magical forces, too.  Let stuff just flow on through.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2023, 09:19:16 pm by Devastator »

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 08, 2023, 04:53:27 am »

"I need no assistance as it's just a hole and I have a stick!"
Walk over the edge and fall into the hole, if I can't fall into it just climb down.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

Strif3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 08, 2023, 06:52:12 am »

"Gotcha..." Velklin yawns again. "...Sounds like you guys have it under control - and don't need the extra backup. Soooo.... I'll save the mana then, and hope that you're right."

Action 1 find a weapon.
"Umm...  Maybe you could find an exposed [Pipe of Undefined Function] on a wall somewhere? I know i reeaaallllyy shouldn't be encouraging something like this, buuuuut... it's pretty silly that we've not been given weaponry of any kind, at all..."

BlackPaladin99

• Bay Watcher
  • The dark Knight of Eternity
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 09, 2023, 02:28:21 pm »

Return to the ship, see if i can find some information about neighboring planets, and see if I can detect any patterns in the code we got from the obelisk.  use envision on the third action if possible. 
We're talking about partially sapient undead spaghetti here, you can probably instruct it to only strangle specific diners.

Strif3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 11, 2023, 02:54:34 am »

(4 days, still nothin'... Pretty busy still, yeah?)

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 11, 2023, 03:04:42 am »

(I'm sure he's working on it, I mean I've had to wait months for a game to update, so my patience is massive for this kind of thing.)

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 11, 2023, 07:03:48 am »

Sorry, sorry. My mind is completely occupied by other stuff right now.
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. With a new profile picture!

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 11, 2023, 06:40:52 pm »

Isabam looks around the ship once more, and on her way she encounters Velklin, the deer kid. She notes that he is clearly not having a great time. He wordlessly joins her in her quest.

She was looking for a weapon, but wasn't finding it anywhere. So she settles on asking Velklin, and he points to a nearby wall of pipes, suggesting that she could rip it out to use as a weapon.

Isabam Butsha pulls a pipe away: 13+2=15
She pulls, pulls, and continues pulling. At last, the pipe gives in, and with a loud pop it comes off from the wall. Strangely, no liquid is inside it, nor is there a spill of anything after she pulled it off, There is no rhyme or reason to this, she thinks, filing this peculiarity to the back of her mind.

Meanwhile, Velklin wanted a shower, and he was going to get it before he doozed off.

Velklin searches for a bath: 8
He soon stumbles upon a shower..? Is this a shower? He had no way to describe the contraption infront of him. It looked like a giant titanium faucet pouring water on raised platform. On the platform was an idol, or a statue of a cube in basalt, with a wonky looking face on it facing the door. Its giant eyes bore into his divine soul, but this would have to do. Pipes, quite literally, didn't have water.

So he showered on top of the platform with the statue. At least the water wasn't cold.

While all that was happening, Su Lin was working out. Really, how did yoi thought those muscles came into being? No magic was involved, that was for sure. The warrior really was a living monument to workout discipline, one the Narrator only wished he could have.

Su Lin Improves his Strength, Speed, and Endurance: 15<: 20, 13, 17

Su Lin feels himself more powerful, but he also feels utterly exhausted. Not wanting to exert himself further by using Qi, he takes the more conventional way of refreshing himself. He takes some boxes and crafts a makeshift bed, lays down, and sleeps, soon joined by Velklin, who also takes up a few boxes, drapes them flat, then sleeps.

Outside the ship and nearly at the other side of the sattelite, Lemmy and Burt, take their chances. They use the chasms walls to lauch themselves down with their legs, falling down in the process. This fall takes quite some time, and all the while Lemmy tries clearing his mind to defend against any psionic detection. But he quickly understands that there is no such presence here, by seeing that Burt is completely unfettered by anything.

They both glide along the chasm with no friction to slow them down. Until they see the faint glimmer of the beetle, above- no, down below them.

Lemmy tries to right himself: 10<: 2
Lemmy realises too late that he shouldn't have aimed himself on such a low angle at the very beginning of his jump. Now that small angle had added up to him being right in the middle of the chasm, with no way to slow himself down. He collides with the flat ground, helm first. Luckily for him, the suits have durable helms with visors, not those stereotypical glass bubbles.

Burt tries to right himself: 10<: 13

Burt on the other hand, had picked a straight angle. So he held onto the wall just before he hit the floor, slowing himself down with an uncomfortable torso flip from the conserved momentum.

They see that the beetle had been waiting for them. The hole ended with a perfectly flat surface, which had a noticable red glow coming from underneath. They hear the god of song speak using his tiny mandibles, floating midair between them and a perfectly circular tunnel right infront of them. It is also glowing red leading to a large room of sorts.

"I... Saw."

"You saw something?" Lemmy asks

"I... I..." The beetle struggles to express itself, but manages to blurt out something still.

"I... Not Saw... Sensed? Sensed."

"So you sensed something." Burt says. "What did you sensed?"

Ornos tries giving an answer but struggles with his words. He eventually gives up trying to explain it, but not before saying things such as "Cold", "Sharp" and maybe most peculiarly, "Geshemblos", which sounds like some sort of name.

The two wait there, as Ornos seems to be scared of going inside before you, despite leading you up-down here himself in the first place

Eleazar wasn't here at the time the rest of the team had their briefing on the solar system. So he requests a map. The ship obliges and opens up the map of Heyam 72.

Displaying Archived File: Heyam 72 System Chart

The map is barely useful for Eleazar, who wanted a report, not a schema.

"Is there any precise feature records of these planets?"

The ship processed the order. Then opens up another file.

Heyam 72 System Report

Heyam 72 Alpha: Red Dwarf Star

Heyam 72 a: Small scorched planet
   Heyam 72 a1: Small asteroid moon

Heyam 72 b: Medium red barren planet

Heyam 72 c: Large gas giant
   Heyam 72 c1: Large asteroid moon

Heyam 72 d: Medium ice giant
   Heyam 72 d1: Small asteroid moon (You Are Here)
   Heyam 72 d2: Medium cold barren moon

Heyam 72 e: Large cold barren dwarf planet

Eleazar is indifferent to this report. It is nowhere near detailed as he would like, but it does its job, kind of.

He closes the file, then orders the ship to search for patterns in the thamaturgical waves it recieved at the previous two obelisks.

The results are predictable, to say the least. The waves aren't much of a code, but instead are clear messages. There isn't anything to go by.

Using Envision briefly comes to Eleazars mind, but he then remembers that to use it, he needs an actual lead. The spell works on reality and the factual, not theoretical. It would cause a thought perception loop of he tried it here and now.

So he waits.

Current Characters

Spoiler: Lemmy | (30/30 HP) (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Burt | (40/40 HP) (click to show/hide)

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 18