Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Let's play Simutrans Pak128 - A song of beer and milk.  (Read 10473 times)

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Utter Insanitiy]
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
Let's play Simutrans Pak128 - A song of beer and milk.
« on: October 27, 2014, 05:42:48 pm »

Ok so here we go! 2048x2048 map (I have a lot of memory and processing power), no trees to save some RAM and improve performance (also because you can expand the map and it won't look ugly). Also extra elevations to make the terrain more challenging. Employing 21 bits per month, so costs might be a bit different from a 19 bit game.

Big map is big:

To start I picked a cattle farm-dairy route. Good, clean, one-hop hauling that shouldn't cause much difficulty. Due to the continental scale of this map, our two industries are quite far apart. I started by figuring out what transport I'll use.

Our two candidates are a 2-pack of the nabe-JNR which packs good horsepower and speed, and the vastly more expensive RVG runner (it's 100k more expensive). However milk is a cooled good and has a 15% speed bonus (one of the highest %s. Passangers are 18%, the highest). For this the runner, even if hauling slightly less, has a higher speed (highest possible with the current milk wagon), greater horsepower (which means acceleration we sorely need in this hilly map) and is cheaper per kilometer. Runner it is. The extra 100k cost can be mitigated and I'll explain why later.

So I bult my line and...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Oh nose the pathfinder is stuck, something is wrong! After checking my rails I found two mistakes:

Contigous ways don't autoconnect in simutrans. Be specially mindful of tunnels and bridges, those rascals!

Choo Choo! We are off to cocnhita valley or whatever is that city. My USA namepack has some amusing city names, I wonder what pearls I'll uncover with time.

And here we go, one trip, clean, tidy 10k profit. However we have a problem. Our infrastructure costs a grand total of 16k per month - the black "This month:" beside maintenance shows how much it'll cost on the current month, good to monitor construction projects. Our solution is to add more trains. But how to make them not collide and spew milk all over the countryside?

Ta-da!. This is the simplest, cheapest kind of overtake, it divides the whole track into two huge segments that meet each other here. This works for two trains, however is not very good because if one of them reaches the overtake first it'll have a lot of idle time. The more overtakes you add on a simple line like this, the more trains you can fit. Things can get a bit more complicated if you have a midway station but I'll cover that in another moment.

With the overtakes built, I duplicated that train twice for a total of 3 convoys running on the same line.

Our accountants approve. But how did I manage to build all this and spend so much without cheating or going bankrupt. Here's the catch of simutrans economics - you have an "assets" component which is calculated essentially by your rolling stock. Buying a vehicle is not a expenditure, it is an investment which adds to your total asset. Your net worth = assets - bank balance - and bankrupticy is calculated solely on net worth (thankfully interest is not modelled yet). So buying new vehicles doesn't actually decrease your net worth so long you don't run them. Whenever you start a convoy an instant -15% depreciation is applied which can't be removed anymore. So think wisely before launching a convoy. In essence, each one of those 400k trains actually cost me only 64,5k of my net worth allowing such an agressive investment gameplay. Keep in mind terraforming, laying tracks and roads and maintenance are effective lost money, they don't turn into assets.

Another thing to be watchful is the first-day-of-the-month plunge (can someone come up with a better name for this?). Maintenance is charged all at once on the 1st day of the month, so your operational profit of that month starts on negative. This is specially important on large bit-per-month games because the monthly maintenance can be a huge hit on your budget. If it exceeds your net worth it will instantly make you go bankrupt. This trap has caught me several times, so be very careful with new investments and always watch your net worth.

So that's it for our first episode. We are left with a good, stable and profitable line which still has room for expansion. I'll cover that on the next post. Here's a sequence of pictures showing the incredible length of this line - 2048x2048 maps are insanely big indeed.

« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 04:06:32 pm by Djohaal »
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
Re: Let's play Simutrans Pak128 - mmm Profits! -
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2014, 06:12:48 pm »

Nice !

I didn't knew about those net worth vs other costs for what matters the most, i always thought making 3 trains with expensive locomotives would have bankrupted me before even starting. That's going to be useful in my next attempt :)

question : why aren't you starting with coal/oil/something -> powerstation to benefit from the electricity boost powerstations could provide for other industries ?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2014, 07:01:25 pm »

What is this 'bits per month' thing you mentioned?
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

highzealot

• Bay Watcher
  • BEER FOR THE WOLF LORD...?
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2014, 08:18:53 pm »

Posting to watch.
Quote from: Corvidae
So here I am, logging into the Bay12 Forums.  I'm not sure whether to feel happy about this, or sullenly admit the loss of what little remained of my soul after all of this Fun.  So much Fun.  So, so much Fun.  <shudders>
First things first.  You're all soulless husks of what might have once been decent human beings, drafted into a sort of moral apartheid from your better natures in the pursuit of things made out of cute animals.  I love it.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2014, 11:21:19 pm »

I don't seem to understand those overtakes.  More details?

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2014, 07:41:57 am »

From what little I understand of how the game works, both parts of the overtakes are labeled one-way using signals, so that trains can travel past each other at that point. More importantly, trains will reserve the parts of the tracks that they travel over between the different stops/signals, so that only they can travel over that part of the track. Additionally they don't unreserve parts of the track until they reach the next chunk between two stations/signals. So having a bunch of overtakes divides your track into small portions, which means that your trains can travel further before waiting to overtake each other.

Or something like that. I've just started playing this game as well.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2014, 03:58:40 pm »

Nope, thats how it works, both is this game and in many real life situations.
Another method is with blocks, saying that "this section of track gets one train, and nothing else can be here with a train in here". What he has done can be counted as blocks, with technically 8 blocks (three platforms, the depot, two passing sidings and two blocks of main line trackage), allowing trains to wait at the passing sidings, the depot or the terminals for their block of track to be freed.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2014, 04:04:12 pm »

Simutrans trains appear to reserve their whole path forward but as they cross it the area behind gets cleared. They won't move if two paths cross. And also are too dumb to pick an alternate, longer route if the main is clogged atm (well it's open source, anyone can go there and do train AI 2.0)

Anyway a schematic of what I did on this line. Episode two coming soon

On a short line and as your troughtput raises it's just better to do a double rail. But since I'm playing on such a huge map, having several tiny (they have to be as long as the trains themselves) double segments is more prudent.
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2014, 05:50:14 pm »

So what are the signs used there?  Blocks?

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2014, 06:24:17 pm »

Pretty sure they are one way signals.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2014, 06:29:02 pm »

block signs. One ways don't divide in blocks IIRC. Block signs automatically turn into one-ways when you click on them again and pick a side of the rail.

Also, tadpoles.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2014, 06:36:15 pm »

Huh, that's weird. Because I've definitely used one-ways to make overtakes work. Though... Maybe not entirely in the context provided, I'll do some testing later.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2014, 10:01:00 pm »

After a bit of fiddling, I got tracks to work.  Unfortunately I can't turn a profit.

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2014, 10:43:28 pm »

Here's how our milk line is going before I started this part. The thing with these overtakes is that you need at least one for each train (ideally more) to keep things flowing somewhat smoothly. So you keep adding overtakes here and there... until you effectively have duplicated your track.

So I began to slowly duplicate the line starting on both ends to maximize throughput. Keep in mind that tracks don't add to your assets, they are lost money, so you gotta keep an eye on your net worth.

By pressing B you can turn on the train routing visual debug. Here's how trains path around the overtake.

I kept expanding the duplicate tracks, while also optimizing slopes and bends to reduce train slowdown.

Yes that is Los Angeles, I think it was a bit bigger in real life...

This picturesque church and river valley got a facelift with the duplication and now look even more hideous.

And here's what happens if you get too track-happy. You may suddenly plunge into debt as your monthly maintenance grows, so be careful.

With the duplication complete we have maximized the throughput of the line and now we have a queue of trains waiting at the goods origin. Now we have to evaluate where we reached saturation, did the producer reach its goods production limit, or is the consumer saturated?

Querying the dairy we quickly find out it can't keep up with the torrent of milk our trains keep delivering there. The little icons near the consumption rate show how can we improve its consume rate - by delivering customers, mail and linking it to power. Optimizing our consumer will be the next step in this game.

Replies:

Girlinhat: Care to show a pic of what trains you are running and an overview of your train line? Be mindful of rail maintenance costs, always place the cheapest rail that covers the speed limit of your trains.

USEC: I'm not really sure either. I always use block signals since oneways seem so... redundant. They don't help a lot on roads too because road vehicle overtaking is not implemented yet i think.

Martinuzz: Bits per month defines how long each month lasts. Default for pak128 is 19, raising it to 21 means my months take four times as longer to pass, giving my trains four times more time to complete a haul, making the timeline progress four times more slowly, raising all maintenance costs four times higher and quadruplicating factory productivity. It is a "master" multiplier to all time dependant factors so your game behaves more or less the same with fast or slow months.

Robsoie: The reason is simple, coal and oil both don't have speed bonus, and coal specially is so cheap per volume that you barely can turn a profit. With this milk line I'm acheiving a huge 54% profit margin, a very hard feat in later game. You should stick to one of the "main" goods such as milk or glass to a dairy, a textile mill chain if you are lucky and the farms are close by, or a grain mill - bakery chain. If the map just hates you and spawns long chains only then you either adventure to try and complete a long chain, or start a new map (they still gotta improve pak128's balance on this regard)

« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 10:47:05 pm by Djohaal »

Also, tadpoles.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2014, 07:25:20 am »

USEC: I'm not really sure either. I always use block signals since oneways seem so... redundant. They don't help a lot on roads too because road vehicle overtaking is not implemented yet i think.

Plus roads are two-ways to begin with, so overtakes shouldn't really be required. Plus, if I remember correctly, cars automatically pass slower vehicles if nobody is coming in the other direction. It's rather neat and interesting, actually.

Robsoie: The reason is simple, coal and oil both don't have speed bonus, and coal specially is so cheap per volume that you barely can turn a profit.

This explains so much. In pak64, coal -> powerstation is the basic opening line that most people make, since it's very profitable and a steady source of income. So anyone jumping over from pak64 like me would instantly make a similar line and thus end up bankrupt. I'm surprised that they changed pak128 so much that coal is no longer profitable though. Wasn't coal traditionally transported by rail in the first place?
Pages: [1] 2 3