Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3745364 times)

NTJedi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #615 on: March 13, 2012, 11:13:54 pm »

When we go to 64 bits I'll have to deal with it.

Yay! 64bit!

So I'll be able to use all 24 gigs of my work comp for worldgen.

..... 24GB? what... why... how... where... when???
that's a bit excessive.

Consider the cheap price of ram, I estimate there's many thousands of gamers with 24GBs of ram... eagerly seeking games which can utilize their systems.  I'm also cheering for the move to 64bit!

**QUESTION:
  Any recent plans coming to include the *improved sieges* from the development page?   If I could only add only one thing to dwarf fortress it would be to improve the sieges so the goblins can actually have a chance during mid_game and late_game.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 11:20:12 pm by NTJedi »

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: March 13, 2012, 11:22:17 pm »

On the other hand, there may be some changes in world gen or such that will solve various problems, but you will only see the fix if you regenerate your world or do some file editing.  Most of these are probably going to be minor inconveniences at this point, but I'd give this a higher probability of having a fix you want.  If you're OK with that though, then go ahead and start playing now.

Yes, it worth noting that there's a precedent for minor inconveniences that happen between ostensibly save compatible bug fix releases releases. See: that one time all the open air magma tubes flooded your map.

This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: March 13, 2012, 11:33:11 pm »

Consider the cheap price of ram, I estimate there's many thousands of gamers with 24GBs of ram... eagerly seeking games which can utilize their systems.  I'm also cheering for the move to 64bit!

It's not about how many players can benefit so much as it's about how many players a change will harm. 

Even if you are "only" dropping support for a feature or a platform that only 10% of players need to use, that means you're cutting off 10% of your playerbase when you make that change - and that's why there are Legacy and SDL versions for all three of Windows, Mac, and Linux operating system versions of DF, so as to allow the widest number of players to have access.

Believe it or not, many DF players do play DF from some 4-year-old laptop with really terrible specs. 

Now, as time goes on, there are likely to be less and less people who can't actually run a 64-bit program (I'm not even sure where the cut-off on that would be, and I know there have been 64-bit versions of almost everything since Vista came out), but there's still some lagging population that will get cut off.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: March 13, 2012, 11:40:36 pm »

It would also be good to fix that animal caretaker bug.

Animal caretaking isn't really a bug so much as a feature that doesn't exist yet.
It would be not much fun to have to retrain your animals, but be unable to save the results of that work with even a basic healthcare system.

I know, I was just pointing out that calling the inability to treat your wounded donkey a bug is the same as calling the inability to ride it a bug. It's not a broken feature, it's a feature that's never been in the game (but it's definitely planned to get 'em in there.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: March 13, 2012, 11:44:21 pm »

Well, it was in the game back in 40d- it was gutted in 2010 with the Health Care overhaul. It's a bug in the sense the Dungeon Master was a bug- useful functionality, but outdated and long enough out of the game that it's more likely to be replaced by a new feature than really "fixed."

NTJedi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: March 14, 2012, 12:52:15 am »

It's not about how many players can benefit so much as it's about how many players a change will harm. 
That depends on how far you're looking in the future.  Considering the devotion Toady has placed in the game he's probably wanting to evolve the game for the computers everyone will be using instead of the computers they will be replacing in five years.

EmeraldWind

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey there, dollface...
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: March 14, 2012, 01:01:28 am »

Finally! I can make a fort where my vulture-beaked blood cultists don ornate ritual robes before sacrificing their war captives!

Will you have a workshop that drains them of their essence? ;)

Even if you are "only" dropping support for a feature or a platform that only 10% of players need to use, that means you're cutting off 10% of your playerbase when you make that change - and that's why there are Legacy and SDL versions for all three of Windows, Mac, and Linux operating system versions of DF, so as to allow the widest number of players to have access.

Believe it or not, many DF players do play DF from some 4-year-old laptop with really terrible specs. 

It's a bit early to get all excited about this...

When we go to 64 bits I'll have to deal with it.

Toady doesn't say he's going to be doing this soon. He just says that the aforementioned problem would have to be fixed when he does get to 64 bit. Which may not be planned at all at this point, simply acknowledged as a To-Do.   

We do not suffer from insanity. We enjoy every single bit of it.

isitanos

• Bay Watcher
  • Seasonal river flood nostalgic
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: March 14, 2012, 01:19:17 am »

Thanks Toady for keeping things relatively simple in the animal training department. I was really afraid you'd go on a tangent and spend a month or two on it, to the detriment of other bugfixes.

If I could express a wish, though, it would be that you fix first the bugs that modders can't fix. With the current clothes issues, that would be the military equipping problems and the profession "uniform" vs military uniform conflicts, such as when you try to have a squad of miners who're supposed to keep their picks for battle. For civilians I already got used to mods with naked dwarves, or rather, abstracted clothes.

Watsst

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: March 14, 2012, 03:04:36 am »

Will an animal that goes from tame to wild lose its need to eat? And will it retain war/hunting status or revert back to a normal state?
Will the new taming system have an effect on vermin tameing?

Really excited about the new changes, keep up the good work Toady. Doing great

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: March 14, 2012, 03:10:56 am »

Thanks Toady for keeping things relatively simple in the animal training department. I was really afraid you'd go on a tangent and spend a month or two on it, to the detriment of other bugfixes.

If I could express a wish, though, it would be that you fix first the bugs that modders can't fix. With the current clothes issues, that would be the military equipping problems and the profession "uniform" vs military uniform conflicts, such as when you try to have a squad of miners who're supposed to keep their picks for battle. For civilians I already got used to mods with naked dwarves, or rather, abstracted clothes.

that is not modders 'fixing' anything, its them outright removing a feature. toady is fixing something outright broken that can't be fixed by modders.

may not make much sense to you personally, but you are someone who knows how to mod the game, or wants to download mods. Toady is trying to make vanilla DF something someone can download and play, without mods, and without modding something themselves. therefore, the clothing issue IS a serious bug, has nothing to do with what modders can or can't fix.

(toady also usually fixes them in the source code itself, not the Raws, much cleaner, and often better.)

rawrcakes

• Bay Watcher
  • [VERMIN_HATEABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #625 on: March 14, 2012, 05:06:23 am »

In relation to dwarves replacing old and broken clothing - is there any plan to "incentivise" players to have a functioning clothing industry through, for example, giving negative throughts in Fortress mode to dwarves with worn / broken clothing (or being naked altogether)? In the same thread of thought, do you intend on giving good thoughts to dwarves if their clothes are well-made, or new?
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 05:32:33 am by rawrcakes »
Niding absolutely detests humans. || twitch.tv/onnings

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: March 14, 2012, 05:21:20 am »

Quote from: PTTG??
Are there currently any plans to make Dwarf Fortress large-address-aware? A mod is currently available to do so, and the response has been largely positive in that it allows history to work for a significantly greater time. It would be great to see that make its way into default DF.

I have no idea what this would do both with my stuff and with some of my libraries.  I'm not eager to introduce a bunch of strange bugs.  When we go to 64 bits I'll have to deal with it.

All LARGE_ADDRESS_AWARE requires is that you don't use the highest bit in a pointer for your own purposes. Without LAA the highest bit of any pointer is always 0, so some applications stole it and used it as a flag. As long as you don't do that you're fine to just enable LAA.
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: March 14, 2012, 05:33:41 am »

It's worth noting that people have already made Dwarf Fortress an LAA executable. It's an extremely easy hack. I haven't heard of it being buggy for anyone, but it's possible that I might have just not heard since I haven't followed too closely.

BlueAnchorite

• Bay Watcher
  • Cacame! Cacame! Cacame!
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: March 14, 2012, 07:59:44 am »

Glad to hear about the new animal training and clothing fixes, will be good to train all those exotics  :D
Toady, will a feature conceivably be implemented that allows modders to introduce new skills for adventure and possibly fortress mode? Such a skill that is raised like any normal skill, and can have interactions attributed to it?
I'm new to modding DF, however that was something I would have liked to do.
it's better than the avatar I made for you   
Very true. This one does not make Jesus cry.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: March 14, 2012, 08:19:54 am »

In relation to dwarves replacing old and broken clothing - is there any plan to "incentivise" players to have a functioning clothing industry through, for example, giving negative throughts in Fortress mode to dwarves with worn / broken clothing (or being naked altogether)? In the same thread of thought, do you intend on giving good thoughts to dwarves if their clothes are well-made, or new?

<magmawiki thoughts clothes> google search  leads to http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/23a:Thought - so probably bugfixing clothes will result in return of this thoughts
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 748