Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83 84 ... 152

Author Topic: So OpenX-Com...  (Read 227168 times)

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
Re: So OpenX-Com...
« Reply #1215 on: October 20, 2019, 10:30:16 am »

That's awesome when you had some gals you had for so long with your crew , though i imagine it's very far in the research progression :)

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1216 on: October 20, 2019, 10:49:06 am »

It is in the midgame, and for a while you got one of those units at the beginning (the "halloween" version of one or two years back). The resulting unit just isn't very useful except maybe as a scout.

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1217 on: October 20, 2019, 10:56:07 am »

So, to correct my previous incorrect statement. Having 0/0 fresheness did cause mass panic.
But now I accidentaly put a gal with 0/62 freshness (and 160 bravery) into battle and she just loses 13 morale a turn.
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1218 on: October 21, 2019, 10:17:54 am »

But now I accidentaly put a gal with 0/62 freshness (and 160 bravery) into battle and she just loses 13 morale a turn.

This reminds me: I saw a thing where Dioxine mentioned he put hallucinogen grenades and The Worm into the game expecting people to use it to mass train bravery.

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1219 on: October 21, 2019, 01:05:44 pm »

I've been playing with Ironman (or Supermutant) on, and it's very different. Actually have to run away properly, instead of just time cancelling fights that go poorly. In the latest fight, I cut it really close to losing the Airbus.
Incidentally, I've seen several of these ships landing in the exact same spot. Is the Academy trying to establish a base? It's right next to my own base, so that's going to be interesting.
Spoiler: Image (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 21, 2019, 01:34:51 pm by Soadreqm »

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1220 on: October 21, 2019, 03:22:25 pm »

I have to say the most obnoxious thing to me in the new patch is the active interception. Easy way to lose your only vessel early on to the first Megapol patrol on the map.

Some of the events seem interesting, too - although some just seem annoying and repetitive.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1221 on: October 21, 2019, 03:24:01 pm »

I've been playing with Ironman (or Supermutant) on, and it's very different. Actually have to run away properly, instead of just time cancelling fights that go poorly. In the latest fight, I cut it really close to losing the Airbus.
Incidentally, I've seen several of these ships landing in the exact same spot. Is the Academy trying to establish a base? It's right next to my own base, so that's going to be interesting.
Spoiler: Image (click to show/hide)

I think that's a runabout? Wiki says they do Daily business, survey, or diplomacy. There are probably just a lot of ships in your area. Have you gotten the academy early-game base attack yet? I think the game changes from being so academy-heavy once you research the note you get from that or downed academy ships.

I have to say the most obnoxious thing to me in the new patch is the active interception. Easy way to lose your only vessel early on to the first Megapol patrol on the map.

Yeah, I liked having to follow someone until they land. I guess you still can with waypoints if you want to micro like a starcraft player.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1222 on: October 21, 2019, 04:14:28 pm »

Some of the events seem interesting, too - although some just seem annoying and repetitive.

It seems like it could be a viable way to avoid weird tech jams-- a year in and haven't found a Young Uber yet? You'll get a 'random' event that'll just throw one at you. ...Maybe I can get a guild stapler less than three years in this time.

Is there any reason why you shouldn't do the Lok'naar Farm mission, even if you just go in and kill the guy because you're too lazy to bomb the place (or don't have the barrel bomb yet)? You don't get credit for the bounty, but as far as I can tell, there's no penalty, and you still get the various produce worth ~100 infamy.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1223 on: October 21, 2019, 06:37:03 pm »

Re: Young Ubers, they appear to be something you can now sometimes get from buying and eventually processing Recon Expeditions (because yes, those got significantly expanded). Likewise Mad Gnomes...

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1224 on: October 21, 2019, 07:03:24 pm »

looks like a very early good luck (only half in the 1st month of my play)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1225 on: October 21, 2019, 07:18:56 pm »

Re: Young Ubers, they appear to be something you can now sometimes get from buying and eventually processing Recon Expeditions (because yes, those got significantly expanded). Likewise Mad Gnomes...
Shoot, right, I happened to see this when they were discussing *their* community game and meant to mention it.  But I wanted to confirm in the files that I understood right.  Might have saved me a lot of hassle in my current game, like a lot of other people who were tech-gated by Young Ubers.

Good news for Male Touch masochists too!
Because it's a challenge option, and you need those uber recruits
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1226 on: October 21, 2019, 07:44:39 pm »

Likewise Mad Gnomes...

At 40 days, and 50k a pop, that's going to be one costly Mad Gnome, assuming you're trying to sidestep the Mutant Alliance. It'd probably be faster and easier to just insult your bounty patrons instead, though the extra options are never bad.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1227 on: October 21, 2019, 10:57:55 pm »

FWIW, expeditions can also potentially bring in goblin/arcane bounty loot, Old Earth Books, and a (very) few other interesting things, so there's some other value if you want to run a few expeditions.

It's also worth noting that digging through the files/html viewer is not necessarily needed for some of this stuff since the in-game tech viewer now shows random results for production stuff like expeditions, expedition strong boxes, gambling... though percentages are rounded to nearest percentages so there's not a lot of precision.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2019, 11:03:32 pm by E. Albright »

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1228 on: October 22, 2019, 08:17:40 am »

It seems like it could be a viable way to avoid weird tech jams-- a year in and haven't found a Young Uber yet? You'll get a 'random' event that'll just throw one at you. ...Maybe I can get a guild stapler less than three years in this time.

Is there any reason why you shouldn't do the Lok'naar Farm mission, even if you just go in and kill the guy because you're too lazy to bomb the place (or don't have the barrel bomb yet)? You don't get credit for the bounty, but as far as I can tell, there's no penalty, and you still get the various produce worth ~100 infamy.

Aircar races usually give you a young uber, or mutant pograms. There's a third mission, but I can't remember what it is. I also can't remember what they stop you from learning, but I remember it being a pain to get. If recons can get you one, that's probably worth the effort.

The Lokk'Naar farm got nerfed; it used to be ~800 points. Go for it. Explosives (not fire) of any type are good against the building. Even 2 dynamite should get most of the building. Black powder bombs are good for clearing the sections that are left. A sachel charge is just a bit too small to get everything. High explosive (better dynamite) is okay.

At 40 days, and 50k a pop, that's going to be one costly Mad Gnome, assuming you're trying to sidestep the Mutant Alliance. It'd probably be faster and easier to just insult your bounty patrons instead, though the extra options are never bad.

But then you need to complete a bounty B early. If you don't want to do alliance, go grey for the free gnome (and data discs, and good ships).

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1229 on: October 22, 2019, 09:26:46 am »

Aircar races usually give you a young uber, or mutant pograms. There's a third mission, but I can't remember what it is. I also can't remember what they stop you from learning, but I remember it being a pain to get. If recons can get you one, that's probably worth the effort.

The Lokk'Naar farm got nerfed; it used to be ~800 points. Go for it. Explosives (not fire) of any type are good against the building. Even 2 dynamite should get most of the building. Black powder bombs are good for clearing the sections that are left. A sachel charge is just a bit too small to get everything. High explosive (better dynamite) is okay.

But then you need to complete a bounty B early. If you don't want to do alliance, go grey for the free gnome (and data discs, and good ships).

Few runs back, my bottleneck from young ubers was... Young Uber>Recruit: Young Uber>The Most Common Superpower. Which is kind of ridiculous, given what the gals are like, but oh well.

I usually just wait until I can toss in a single barrel o' bomb because i'm too lazy to actually bother sitting there throwing 15 BBPs early on. Very tactically unsound, I admit.

I didn't find the gnome bounty that bad when I did it in J; the grid-like nature of the sewers made it easy to turn the rooms into killboxes until you locate her, then even unskilled wenches can drop the gnome in fairly short order. (Something like 5 hits total, I want to say; doable in 2 turns with 2-3 wenches.) After, it was just a case of grabbing her sleeping body and running for the exit.
Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83 84 ... 152