Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: ENCUMBERANCE!!!!!!! (Aka why are these things so goddamn heavy?)  (Read 7939 times)

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile

Just a short question; why is my adventurer's speed so low, just from carrying items? It used to be 1400 or so, now it's 876, and the only real difference is that I've kitted myself out in iron/bronze gear. Has there been some changes that implemented this, and what do I need to do to get speed somewhere back up in the 1200s or so?
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

TheBlueSteel

• Bay Watcher
  • This user menaces with spikes of sarcasm
    • View Profile
Re: ENCUMBERANCE!!!!!!! (Aka why are these things so goddamn heavy?)
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2012, 04:11:55 pm »

Drain your Armor User skill- it reduces the encumberance caused by lugging around dozens of Urists of armor on your back, and once you reach Grand Master/Legendary all speed penalties will be gone.

Sadly just walking around in it won't increase your skill. Go find some ducks or something, stand in the middle of them without a shield and your dodge preference to "Stand Ground". Any hits on you will train the skill.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2012, 04:13:54 pm »

Drain your Armor User skill- it reduces the encumberance caused by lugging around dozens of Urists of armor on your back, and once you reach Grand Master/Legendary all speed penalties will be gone.

Sadly just walking around in it won't increase your skill. Go find some ducks or something, stand in the middle of them without a shield and your dodge preference to "Stand Ground". Any hits on you will train the skill.

Or if you feel lucky, a pack of wolves. It goes alot faster.

Your life, that is.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2012, 04:15:36 pm »

How feasible is it to just not wear armor and use your shield and [weapon of choice] instead?

TheBlueSteel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2012, 04:18:19 pm »

How feasible is it to just not wear armor and use your shield and [weapon of choice] instead?

I can get away with it most of the time, due to being a Legendary Shield User, but I still have armor stashed for when I go after semi/megabeasts.

Simply put, even if you can block 98% of all attacks and dodge the other 1%, the one in a hundred that gets you will rip you to shreds without armor against some stronger foes.

And your chances aren't even good- you're far more likely to let 5% of all attacks hit, and even wolves hurt if they chip bones.

Or tear out your throat....

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2012, 04:32:11 pm »

THANK YE JESUS
Sig! Onol

TheBlueSteel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2012, 04:56:53 pm »

THANK YE JESUS

I feel you. If this wasn't the case armor would have to be god-like to be worth the speed penalties.... an untrained armor user would be able to be kited by foes infinitely without being able to even hit them.

DavionFuxa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2012, 05:26:36 pm »

I'd say in light of what TheBlueSteel stated that it's a bit more then that - it would matter more based on what your up against and if you power level Armor User skill.

Simply put, Armor reduces your characters speed if you don't power level it up to Grand Master or Legendary. Sometimes your speed is more important a defense then the Armor you might be wearing. Example - you get into melee with a Bronze Colossus. It don't matter if your wearing armor or not, once that Bronze Colossus gets a hit or two in, your character is done. The above example as well shouldn't be seen as an isolated case either. Against Archers you'll be better off with a higher speed then better Armor since as of now the Bolts and Arrows pretty well bypass Armor entirely most of the time; against enemies that use Lashes or Scourges you'll be better off with higher speed for pretty much the same reason.

Then to turn what I said above around, perhaps your in a situation where your armor is of great importance. If you enter a crypt or a dungeon for example, sometimes just entering a room with a lack of armor can be a death sentence. Even if you could reduce the chance of instantly being waylaid entering a room (like by not entering first) you could find yourself getting surrounding on different sides. Your chance of dodging/blocking the attack from the side or behind is usually quite reduced. Of course being in the outside world you could also end up in this situation when you get ambushed.
A Google Doc I wrote up in regards to making a new 'workable' definition for the Roguelike Genre:
Defining the Roguelike Genre

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2012, 07:45:40 pm »

i say try to cut your metal armor down to just a mail shirt, leggings and a helm.

geting stronger will let you where more armor and have a high speed.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

agvkrioni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2012, 08:49:53 pm »

Oh geez, 1400 is where it should be? Mine is at 250... must be carrying too much.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2012, 08:55:58 pm »

Oh geez, 1400 is where it should be? Mine is at 250... must be carrying too much.
1200 is the average, I think, but 250 will get you killed in a fight, which is what I'm worried about.
Sig! Onol

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2012, 09:08:36 pm »

Yeah I'm thinking once toady finally separates combat speed and movement speed it'll make this whole encumbrance less of an issue.

TheBlueSteel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2012, 09:18:41 pm »

Yeah I'm thinking once toady finally separates combat speed and movement speed it'll make this whole encumbrance less of an issue.

Sadly it will make my regular strategy of cutting off everyone's feet considerably less effective.

Makbeth

• Bay Watcher
  • His lower body is melted.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2012, 09:34:44 pm »

Just a short question; why is my adventurer's speed so low, just from carrying items? It used to be 1400 or so, now it's 876, and the only real difference is that I've kitted myself out in iron/bronze gear. Has there been some changes that implemented this, and what do I need to do to get speed somewhere back up in the 1200s or so?

I've never seen speed go above 1290, naked or armored.  This, even when my agility and strength are both 4000, which is 150% of what is possible without modding.  I think there's a hardcoded limit for speed.

But yeah, just train up your skills and even a lowly mortal can hit the limit fairly quickly. 

Diso Faintpuzzles was born in 120.  Although accounts vary it is universally agreed that Diso was chosen by fate as the vanguard of destiny.

In the early spring of 143 Diso began wandering the wilds.

In the early spring of 143 Diso starved to death in the Horn of Striking.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2012, 09:49:21 pm »

I've never seen speed go above 1290, naked or armored.  This, even when my agility and strength are both 4000, which is 150% of what is possible without modding.  I think there's a hardcoded limit for speed.

But yeah, just train up your skills and even a lowly mortal can hit the limit fairly quickly.

Max agility and strength are 5000 without modding >_>

The max speed is 10000, which is at SPEED:0.
Pages: [1] 2 3