Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 667 668 [669] 670 671 ... 987

Author Topic: Bay12 Photo Share! Let's share photos and cool things.  (Read 1586382 times)

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
Re: Bay12 Photo Share! Play nice while I'm out being nice, okay?
« Reply #10020 on: August 07, 2014, 11:04:32 am »

Oh you wacky people with your wacky Celsius degrees thingy
I agree, we should all start using kelvin.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10021 on: August 07, 2014, 11:12:58 am »

Oh you wacky people with your wacky Celsius degrees thingy
I agree, we should all start using kelvin.
They're basically the same, and having to write (and speak!) three-digit numbers all the time is not practical. So yeah, Celsius really is the working man's Kelvin.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #10022 on: August 07, 2014, 01:28:09 pm »

* SalmonGod looks up Celsius conversion...

Yeah... above 30 is about where I start hitting lethargic and miserable.

40 Celsius (104 F) is the highest I've ever faced, and it was a struggle to get through it each time.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #10023 on: August 07, 2014, 03:26:13 pm »

46 C (ish) is the hottest I've ever had to put up with. That was during a holiday in Dubai.
At home, it can get up to thirty, but those midsummer heatwaves are few and far between.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Projeck37

• Bay Watcher
  • what is love, baby don't hurt me
    • View Profile
« Reply #10024 on: August 07, 2014, 03:27:07 pm »

Turns out the bug is a Cottonwood Borer. Huh.
I be the Pillow Pirate of the 12 Bays!

Alev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10025 on: August 07, 2014, 10:45:12 pm »

46 C (ish) is the hottest I've ever had to put up with. That was during a holiday in Dubai.
At home, it can get up to thirty, but those midsummer heatwaves are few and far between.
I've had 45.5 highest. In a desert in California.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10026 on: August 07, 2014, 10:46:14 pm »

Fuck that nonsense. I'll stick to my temperate biome.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10027 on: August 07, 2014, 10:56:52 pm »

I've had 45.5 highest. In a desert in California.

46.9C was the highest I've encountered, during the infamous Black Saturday, the worst natural disaster in Australian history.
Because a lot of our trees are (oil rich) Eucalypts, at that temperature those trees tend to either spontaneously combust or explode, so fire spreads pretty well.

(I'm also sure that it was hotter, 46.9C was how hot it was in the city. UV that day was so high that I had to wear towels on all exposed flesh to go outside without burning).

The kicker is that our Koppen climate classification is Cfb, or "Oceanic Temperate". As far as Australia goes, Victoria is pretty mild climate-wise - our summers are only as warm as they are because we get desert heat from central australia blowing down during periods of high air pressure, generally in summer.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 11:23:46 pm by Reudh »

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10028 on: August 07, 2014, 11:42:17 pm »

I don't think I've ever experienced temperatures higher than 30 or so. And that was unbearable. I can't handle heat at all.
47 degrees? Man, that's like apocalyptic temperatures. I don't know how you survive.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #10029 on: August 07, 2014, 11:57:06 pm »

I don't think I've ever experienced temperatures higher than 30 or so. And that was unbearable. I can't handle heat at all.
47 degrees? Man, that's like apocalyptic temperatures. I don't know how you survive.
Air conditioning.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10030 on: August 08, 2014, 12:01:02 am »

Air conditioning.

At that temperature, pretty much everything slows down. People will tend to get off work quicker, kids might be sent home from school, or kept inside instead of being let out to play at lunchtime. Trains have to go significantly slower due to the steel rails expanding, making derailment more likely. (Also, two of our older models of train still don't have air conditioning.)

Everyone who has any kind of air conditioning system will pretty much not leave their house. At the time, we just had old floor fans, but we used evaporative cooling, coolgardie safe style to help keep the house cool.
Beaches are packed, swim centres even more so.
On that particular day, we went swimming at 7am, when it was already 43C - every time i popped up above the water, it was like a near-literal wall of heat slamming into me.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #10031 on: August 08, 2014, 12:48:16 am »

Sounds awful. Anything beyond low to mid twenties is too hot for me. Then again it always get humid at the same time here, maybe drier heat would be more manageable.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #10032 on: August 08, 2014, 11:36:29 am »

I'm probably the only one, but I prefer humid heat.  It does feel a little more miserable and lethargy-inducing, but with dry heat I can feel it killing me by sucking all the moisture out of my body.

On one of my motorcycle trips with my dad, we rode through a day in Montana that was 104 F / 40 C, with zero humidity and not a cloud in the sky.  I had to stop frequently to soak my shirt in water (which would dry out completely in 5 minutes), and constantly sip at a bottle of water through a straw while on the bike.  When we stopped somewhere to do touristy stuff, I had to keep all my gear on.  If I exposed any skin, I could feel it scorching like I was under a magnifying glass within a couple minutes.  If that caused me to sweat, I couldn't tell, because it must have been evaporating instantly.

Yeah... I'll take some humidity over that shit any day.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10033 on: August 08, 2014, 11:49:19 am »

When I was working in Montana, I remember a day putting up a fence in that kind of weather. The dry air made us thirsty all the time, to the point where we actually got bellyache from drinking too much water.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10034 on: August 08, 2014, 11:56:29 am »

« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 11:51:36 am by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".
Pages: 1 ... 667 668 [669] 670 671 ... 987