Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 74

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress 2  (Read 66762 times)

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress 2
« Reply #75 on: September 25, 2007, 01:07:00 am »

We need to be able to rewall with mud bricks.  That way I can start my fortress on the beach and build a sand castle.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Arkan15

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 25, 2007, 01:13:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by FFT:
<STRONG>Except you can't build on bridges, so where does that leave us for the second floor?</STRONG>

Well, it'd work for one-story buildings, and a new bridge type that allowed you to build on it like I described could work.

IP AND TEAR YOUR GUTS!
YOU ARE HUGE! THAT MEANS YOU HAVE HUGE GUTS!

Tamren

• Bay Watcher
  • Two dreams away
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 25, 2007, 01:14:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Toady One:
<STRONG>As far as trees making metal or something, this probably wouldn't be the first thing I'd do, since it seems to point toward homogeneity in making the races have similar (strong, metallic) equipment produced by different means.  I think it would be better at first for the game to point elves in a different direction from the other civilizations so as to produce more tags and behaviors that can be used to randomly generate entities later on.  I wouldn't mind supporting something like that, which would involve some changes to plant processing.</STRONG>

The idea was to give the elves a metallic equivalent without them having to dig it out of the ground. I think we succeeded quite well. Of course none of this is feasible yet, the broader foundations have to be in place first. Theres is just too much that is still nebulous at the moment. I mean for one thing, elf society lacks metal production. So why would they even bother to learn and use items like swords and the like?  Then again, even if you do not, if you neighbor has swords youd better find a way to match them.

The name Ambersteel is really only a descriptor, it might be strong enough to use as a metal. That does not mean the elves would use it to emulate other races by making swords, platemail and the like.

--
One thing i was wondering. Different materials have many unique properties. There are a lot of things the game does not track yet like conductivity and how malleable or ductile a metal is. Will these things be added in the future? It would add a lot of depth to the game, but thats quite a deep end to jump in!

Fear not the insane man. For who are you to say he does not percieve the true reality?

frostedfire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 25, 2007, 03:49:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Arkan15:
<STRONG>WOOOOOOAH

WE'RE HALFWAY THERE

WOOOOOOAH!

LIVIN' ON A PRAYER</STRONG>

or we could go for a G&R flavour...

wooooaaa-oohhh sweet child of mine,

woooaa-ooaa-oa-oaahh sweet love of mine...

also,

quote:

Tamren said something about what the elves would be doing to keep up with dwarven/human weapon developments

*f-twaannnggg* you're dead   :mad:

the spinning bb round hits jack johnson, scumbag in the lower body!
it is pierced through entirely!
his right kidney has been poked out!
his liver has been mangled!

jack johnson, raider has been shot and killed.

The above (including bbcode) neatly weighs in at 255 characters. Fallout meets DF

scjohnno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 25, 2007, 05:58:00 am »

Wow, Toady. Looks like you've got your entire career planned out in the form of those Power Goals.   ;)

Despite that I really only play Fortress mode now, I'm actually looking forward to Adventurer mode's additions more. While it's currently not that appealing to me, the insane amount of freedom that will surely come to it (judging by both the changes so far and the planned future changes) look to make it more interesting than Fortress mode.

Fourth Triad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #80 on: September 25, 2007, 06:00:00 am »

God those power goals look like so much fun  :)

axus

• Bay Watcher
  • Axe Murderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 25, 2007, 11:00:00 am »

lolscreamball

DrJonez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 25, 2007, 11:24:00 am »

Was the dev list updated? I think an item is gone now or something. Hmm.

Silveron

• Bay Watcher
  • Arichect of Destruction
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 25, 2007, 11:32:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by DrJonez:
<STRONG>Was the dev list updated? I think an item is gone now or something. Hmm.</STRONG>

Aye, the 2000something number fell off and the Powergoals appeared.... mysterious indeed.

THLawrence

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Scientest
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 25, 2007, 11:49:00 am »

quote:
Aye, the 2000something number fell off and the Powergoals appeared.... mysterious indeed.

Does this mean that he plans on creating 2000 powergoals and implementing them before the next release. I hope not.

Thallone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 25, 2007, 01:03:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Silveron:
<STRONG>

Aye, the 2000something number fell off and the Powergoals appeared.... mysterious indeed.</STRONG>

The 2000 is now 540, sort new dev notes III is gone, and the power Goals appeared.

Regarding the power goals, am I correct in assuming that, rather than programming in specific quests, these are more talking about the generic things, such as 'implement ferrys(PowerGoal117), usable wagins(PowerGoal52)' etc? interesting way of describing them either way.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 25, 2007, 01:30:00 pm »

Love the powergoals especially 108 ATTACK OF THE VERMIN!

The goals seem to be about getting people to be able to do things then getting them to know how to react to situations. I'm guessing some kind of basic emotional stuff would be required. Toady may I recommend that you take a look at Galatea?  http://www.nickm.com/if/emshort/galatea.html

It works by having a sympathy number and a mood state to determine how it reacts in short you can probably keep it based on only a few variables per person and using more global variables.

EDIT: Oh you can see better what's going on if you type visorx.

[ September 25, 2007: Message edited by: Pnx ]

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #87 on: September 25, 2007, 04:21:00 pm »

Yeah, randomly generated creatures...  though until it works out really well I'd probably stick with underworld beasts, the creations of wizards and vermin, since it's okay if they look all messed up.

Yeah, the power goals are really just a collection of features, much like a mini-story with accompanying analysis.  In fact, the issue was that we had all those story analyses and old Armok notes, and it seemed kind of boring to just req/bloat them.  So we put all of the ideas in a list, and picked them out in threes, and wrote power goals that incorporated at least those three ideas.  We still have ~700 things in that list that haven't been power goaled, so over time we should get another couple hundred goals.  It's just an entertaining way to organize development, and it's also a motivator since getting a power goal done (meaning the underlying features) is more satisfying than checking off reqs.

The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 25, 2007, 04:31:00 pm »

We need Scream Ball now.

I mean, it's absolutely perfect for DF. Plus dwarves are just the right size for Trolls to throw!

Rollory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 25, 2007, 04:33:00 pm »

PG58 - yes, what WERE you thinking?

We already have tentacle demons and the dwarves to admire them for their corrupt intentions.  This game is going to make the depravity of people who starve their Sims pale in comparison.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 74