Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 304 305 [306] 307 308 ... 779

Author Topic: Things that made you mildly upset today thread  (Read 859379 times)

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you mildly sad today thread: remove burrito edition
« Reply #4575 on: October 08, 2018, 03:19:48 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 02:48:37 pm by dragdeler »
let

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4576 on: October 08, 2018, 04:24:22 pm »

... Just learn a year of wrestling and boxing, and fuck up every martial artist you meet instead.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4577 on: October 08, 2018, 05:21:45 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 02:48:19 pm by dragdeler »
let

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4578 on: October 08, 2018, 05:35:54 pm »

Wrestling as in Greco-Roman wrestling is one of the most effective and basic martial arts. And boxing is literally the art of beating people to death with your fists.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4579 on: October 08, 2018, 05:51:57 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 02:47:51 pm by dragdeler »
let

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4580 on: October 08, 2018, 05:57:11 pm »

I would love to learn some form of fighting style, but my fitness is still a work-in-progress and I would be ashamed of my lifelong lack of coordination/spatial sense.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4581 on: October 08, 2018, 06:04:15 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 02:47:41 pm by dragdeler »
let

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #4582 on: October 08, 2018, 06:58:37 pm »

Re. Mahjong and getting your ass handed to you while playing various traditional board games:

The thing about old games is that if you're winning as a beginner, then you're playing where the game isn't very popular. Real Go clubs and Chess clubs have those smarmy people that you wish you could beat to wipe the grin off their face but they're so superhumanly good and you just start having fun trying to see how close you can get to winning.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4583 on: October 09, 2018, 04:29:02 am »

I don't advise you to get as close as wrestling if you want to defend yourself. Boxing is definitly up to the task, but it can't hurt to know stuff about legs, hence the (kick).
Thing is, fights don't always follow the recommended guidelines. Striking is all well and good so long as you can maintain the correct distance and have enough space to work with. Sometimes, though, that's just not how the fight goes, or even how it starts. Having a good base in grappling techniques is really a good idea so as to not turn into a dead fish the moment someone grabs you.

I used to do taekwondo, where precisely Fuckall% of the curriculum is dedicated to grappling... I believe there was a whole singular once during my years working with the stuff when we had a sparring session with grappling.

I got paired up with a big lump who apparently had some background in school wrestling, so my win on a technicality was rather unexpected, to say the least...

But yeah, taekwondo is one of those martial arts that I tend to refer to as "more art than martial"... Very pretty, not very applicable.

We also had some hand-to-hand in the army, but that was under the direction of a fresh-baked lieutenant who was horribly intimidated by the prospect of teaching a bunch of bargain bin grunts, so most of the classes for the entire week (yes, a whole week!) of combat training were terribly disjointed and uncoordinated.

Sparring is always fun though.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #4584 on: October 09, 2018, 04:57:53 am »

... Just learn a year of wrestling and boxing, and fuck up every martial artist you meet instead.

The problem with this is that most functional martial arts* represent at least one of those with the limiters removed. :P An MMA fighter against a boxer in a brawl would be a very sad sight indeed, since boxing basically ignores the legs aside from footwork. Neither boxing nor wrestling will prepare you for sweeps or knee kicks, for instance.

*Obviously tai chi kata isn't going to do you much good in a fight, as an extreme example.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4585 on: October 09, 2018, 05:39:05 am »

* Yoink invokes the power of la.

Yoga is like, the deadliest martial art, man. You don't wanna mess with a yogic black belt, believe me.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4586 on: October 09, 2018, 07:45:15 am »

Yoga is like, the deadliest martial art, man. You don't wanna mess with a yogic black belt, believe me.   

I'm a natural grappler, I can't help myself but it's the most useful style to know when it comes to swordplay, which is the only combat I get involved in.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4587 on: October 09, 2018, 07:51:16 am »

The problem with this is that most functional martial arts* represent at least one of those with the limiters removed. :P An MMA fighter against a boxer in a brawl would be a very sad sight indeed, since boxing basically ignores the legs aside from footwork. Neither boxing nor wrestling will prepare you for sweeps or knee kicks, for instance.

*Obviously tai chi kata isn't going to do you much good in a fight, as an extreme example.

Yeah, boxing and wrestling just teach the fundamentals of fighting. Mix some MMA or similar in with them to round it out.

I'm a natural grappler, I can't help myself but it's the most useful style to know when it comes to swordplay, which is the only combat I get involved in.

... How do you feel about rooftops and thunderstorms?
He's fucking with us.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4588 on: October 09, 2018, 08:15:58 am »

My little musketeer beard/moustache ensemble twitches with excitement at the thought.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4589 on: October 09, 2018, 08:50:14 am »

My little musketeer beard/moustache ensemble twitches with excitement at the thought.

*crosses out Arx and writes Rowanas on his "List of Forumites to Duel On a Thunderstorm Swept Rooftop*
He's fucking with us.
Pages: 1 ... 304 305 [306] 307 308 ... 779